Author Topic: Darth Crassus Customs  (Read 43440 times)

Offline Wardog

• I'M THE GREEN MAN
  • Colonel
Re: Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »
WELL DONE...they all look great.   ;D
ALL HAIL THE HIGH ORDER OF DWARF THROWERS FROM THE BIG FLOWER MYSTERY HOUSE OF BADONKADONK

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2014, 10:10:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. I haven more, but waiting for a chance to take some photos with a nice backdrop (as opposed to my Kindle cover or a wooden desk wall).

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »
Shae Vizla is one of my favorite figures, but the hair seemed too dull. In the videos, she has very shiny hair with gold streaks. I repainted her hair, with a subtle glossy yellow, wiped it down, then added black highlights. Looks much more realistic now!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 06:18:44 AM »
Looks great. You can also look for this on our front page soon.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
Sandtrooper w/ Blue Pauldron
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »
What happens when you cross Captain Rex and a Sandtrooper? A Sandtrooper with a Blue Pauldron!

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2014, 09:44:56 AM »
My take on a 6'' Han Solo in Stormtrooper gear...

Offline CloneTroopr

• Commander
    • CloneTroopr's Customs FaceBook Page
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »
Very cool Han Solo in Stormtrooper disguise! Next step: make a removable helmet for him! :D

Customs Thread: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=7528.0
FaceBook Page: CloneTroopr's Customs

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2014, 10:53:56 AM »
Very cool Han Solo in Stormtrooper disguise! Next step: make a removable helmet for him! :D

Thanks, but that's not going to happen.   :( I'm not skilled at dremmeling and it'd be quite an effort.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:04:43 PM by darthcrassus »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »

Thanks, but that's not going to happen.   :( I'm not skilled at dremmeling and it'd be quite an effort.

How about molding?
I've done this a couple of times with other 3.75 helmets.  Make a mold of the Stormie helmet and pour in a couple of drops of 2 component resin, letting it coat the inside.  I mix in a drop of gloss white paint, which doesn't seem to affect the casting.  When cured, you pop it out, prime it, paint it, detail it and your done after a couple of hours of work.

BTW
SWEET!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:40:54 PM by Sjefke »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
Your custom figures are great.
Nice and simple - that's what I like.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2014, 06:08:54 AM »
Love that Han. I too had the idea about the hollow helmet before I read the comments here. I bet someone will do one. I know our Clonehead is a good one for doing this intricate work or Sith Happens or Doc Outlands for that matter!

Off to the front page too btw.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »
Your custom figures are great.
Nice and simple - that's what I like.

Thanks. "Nice and simple" - that's what I can afford to do!

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2014, 12:59:30 PM »

How about molding?
I've done this a couple of times with other 3.75 helmets.  Make a mold of the Stormie helmet and pour in a couple of drops of 2 component resin, letting it coat the inside.  I mix in a drop of gloss white paint, which doesn't seem to affect the casting.  When cured, you pop it out, prime it, paint it, detail it and your done after a couple of hours of work.

BTW
SWEET!

Thanks for the comments! To be honest, getting the head to fit over Han's head isn't a huge priority for me. After all, a helmeted Stormtrooper Han looks like, well, a regular Stormtrooper, and I do have one of those. If I were to do it, I'd probably hollow out the helmet I have because I have it just sitting around. Maybe one day I'll borrow power tools from somebody and do it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »
I mean to be honest, I agree with you, you may as well just swap out the Stormy Bucket at this point as it should look the same way right.

This is the first six inch Han Stormy I have seen and I really like it. Hope you do the same thing with the Luke coming out. And if they want the bucket just switch out the helmet. IMO, Hasbro should make more money by releasing these the way you just did and offering one more head (whichever the case may be). And to play Devil's advocate, how cool would it be to see a Cad Bane done this way with Clonetrooper armor?

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2014, 03:26:22 PM »
I mean to be honest, I agree with you, you may as well just swap out the Stormy Bucket at this point as it should look the same way right.

This is the first six inch Han Stormy I have seen and I really like it. Hope you do the same thing with the Luke coming out. And if they want the bucket just switch out the helmet. IMO, Hasbro should make more money by releasing these the way you just did and offering one more head (whichever the case may be). And to play Devil's advocate, how cool would it be to see a Cad Bane done this way with Clonetrooper armor?

Thanks! Yeah, it would be very smart for Hasbro to just make the heads of Han/Luke and the Stormtrooper interchangeable. Unfortunately, they're not, and based on the ToyFair responses to the Q&A, Hasbro doesn't really seem to get this. Basically, the Stormtrooper is just the Sandtrooper body, but no weathering. This means that the neck is a bit too high for the Stormtrooper (and it looks like the Stormtrooper has a long neck ). Also, you can't switch the neck pegs either because they're designed differently. My crude solution was to insert the Han neck peg ring into the Stormtrooper neck and paint it black. This did involve breaking the Stormtrooper's neck to remove the Stormtrooper peg, but if you do so carefully and paint over the crack it's not a big deal.

Some other customizers have dremmeled out the hole in Han's head, but I wanted to keep the head preserved in case I ever want to put it back on the Han body I have (I can always clean off the neck peg and reinsert it).

So, this actually turned out to be quite a bit more than a head swap! I won't be doing it for Luke unless I get another spare Stormtrooper body, and given the current prices on eBay that's not likely. The Luke X-Wing pilot figures seem pretty plentiful so I could pick up one of those for pretty cheap.