Author Topic: mando costume  (Read 10440 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
mando costume
« on: January 12, 2011, 06:25:13 AM »
I've been working on a concept mandalorian costume using my drysabone (my aussie style trenchcoat).  It's fairly basic since the trenchcoat covers my arms and most of my legs I won't be making alot of the traditional mando garb.  I am mainly going to work on my helmet and chest armor to start with and possibly add any other details to it later.

I'll probably make a custom holster for my modified nerf maverick that will attach to my belt.

the main colors will be dark to accentuate the black coat.

I've done up some sketches I'd like to get yall's oppinions:

first of all is the helmet.  I want it to be the traditional fett style bucket with just a few minor changes.  Mainly I've added two point like "fangs" to the bottom of the faceplate:

next of course is the rest of the outfit:

My main idea here is to preserve as much of my own personal every-day character in the costume as I can, thus making it as comfortable as possible.   My stingray skin boots, followed by a custom set of stingray skin backed gloves (not made yet but I'll eventually get around to that...), and of course my trenchcoat.  I'm thinkng about buying a second shoulder flare for the coat (it is removable) and customizing it to include the mando mythosaur skull.... which I've also customized into my own interpretation of the symbol:

what I am asking you guys mainly for is any ideas for the costume.  What else should I consider adding?  What colors should I use on the helmet?  I'm realy fond of the hammered copper I used on my nerf rifle and I'd love to incorperate that color onto it...   

I welcome anyone with better photoshop skills than I have to take my images and colorize them.....!    My creativity is hitting a brick wall.

this project may take me a long time to complete... and I havn't even gotten all the materials currently to actually make the armor and helmet but I am eventually going to, so pitch me some ideas and get in on the creative process! :)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: mando costume
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »
You gonna do any leg armor?

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:27:35 AM »
GAUNTLETS!!  ;D with firing darts !

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »
doc:  I was thinking about doing a set of knee pads.

beige: the coat has full length sleeves... gauntlets will be hidden underneath them and I was probably just going to leave them out of it....   

and actually to be honest I've looked up templates for gauntlets and they are horribly extensive to recreate.  Although I might be able to pull off a semi-accurate set... lol

Offline beige-4

• Banned
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
accurate ? semi-accurate ? do whatever ya want !  ;D

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »
Devin, I really like your drawings of this concept. I notice that in your rendering, there is a shape on top of your gloves that could represent an armor plate of some sort. I think that would be a cool way to make it appear that you are indeed fully armored under the coat. Is there a way that you could simulate some plates on top of your planned stingray gloves?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »
the "plate" that your pointing out is actually the piece of stingray skin.  I am planning on just putting a small square of the skin on the back of a pair of black leather gloves.

I think there is plenty of room underneath my coat sleeves wear a set of gauntlets, I just don't know it it will be noticable.  I might be able to roll the sleeves up to half sleeves and expose the gauntlets?...

I'm also considering building a jet-pack too... 

ultimately though I want this to be a costume I'm comfortable in.  I overheat quickly and I'm worried that if I add too many layers beneath the coat it'll be uncomfortable to wear any time other than the winter!

I'm actually considering scratch making my own trenchcoat and making it without sleeves and out of thinner material, but retaining the basic look and feel of my actual coat.....

I'm still pondering color choices though.  I don't want it to be too bland but I also don't want it to be pastel or bright in any way.  Dark earthtones is what I'm going for....

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »
I'd have to say, while they would be hidden, you STILL need tricks up your sleeve, so to speak.  And since this is based completely off of your own personal wants and style, they don't have to be the traditional Boba/Jango gauntlets.  Even something along the lines of a Black Widow style wristlet or something would be pretty sweet.  If I remember correct, and forgive me if I don't, but your trenchcoat is black, so I think brown with gold highlights in the armor would look pretty slick. 

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 11:21:29 AM »
I'm starting to think allong those lines too phatty.  A simplified set of gauntlets that have the hint of the original fett gauntlets and have a few flashy details, but aren't so incredibly detailed that they are impossible to construct....  of course I could just shell out the 200 bucks for a pre-formed set on e-bay...

I'm still trying to track down polystyrene sheet for making my new helmet and chest armor.   :-\

I was thinking about using nickel, gold, and copper for the colors of my armor.  Don't yet know how they'll look or how I'll put them together yet though...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 09:47:16 AM »
basically finished the helmet.  there are a few things I'm not happy about but I'll fix them eventually.

The helmet is made using templates I found on the dented helmet forums. 

I used a combination of cardboard, plastic sheet (from for sale signs), bondo and lots of duct tape, super glue and two part epoxy.  and of course spray paint...

I added a "tassle" of sorts made from stringing together some snake vertebrae and adding the skull from an old toy model sabretooth cat...  I thought it would be something cool to add for a little bit of personality.

so tell me what you guys think:

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
thats amazing i like the design
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

Offline beige-4

• Banned
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 10:14:54 AM »
well. i may just have to send you an invite to da mandomercs!! this is by far one of the best unique examples of a helmet i've ever seen ! and the first time a person has added bones instead of wookie braids !!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »
well. i may just have to send you an invite to da mandomercs!! this is by far one of the best unique examples of a helmet i've ever seen ! and the first time a person has added bones instead of wookie braids !!

I distinctly remember seeing a mando costume somewhere around the net that had a set of teeth tied into a braid that hung down his shoulder... but I couldn't tell you who it was or what site it was on.  So I'm sure I'm not the first to use bones, but probably the first to use snake vertebrae specifically. lol

thanks for the compliment guys.  I'm realy happy with how the design turned out.  I kind of had some trial and error in the face-plate design and wound up with this design on the fly as I built the helmet.  I didn't have an insert for the visor so I had to make my own.  I wound up cutting some clear plastic off of a large plastic jug for pretzles (random I know) and then applying some window tinting meant for a car window to the plastic to make it the reflective tint.  But the plastic piece wasn't long enough to cover all the way to the bottom of the face.  I had to cut it into two parts to make it fit.  So to cover the seam I made the "vented" section of the faceplate to compensate.   I've seen similar designs on other mando helmets around the net so I knew it'd probably work alright and I'm definately happy with it now that it's all finished and painted.

Offline beige-4

• Banned
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »
well. i have'nt seen any on mandomercs so your the first in my books !

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 12:07:40 PM »
Outstanding look, spud!!  It's similar to John Fiker's "Executioner"-style buy'ce.