Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158392 times)

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2009, 10:07:53 PM »
This is Darko's tutorial, I've included the linkage to the original post at the bottom, he's done so much more.  He is very talented and a super nice guy.

Quote from: Darko
UPDATE 1/16: Added a tutorial for flame-stands (like for jetpacks and such) on the fourth page.

A day or so ago, I finished up my self custom, which included this burning sword weapon:

It was a surprisingly easy effect to make, and I figured I'd write up a tutorial with pictures for anyone who wanted to make their own flame (or energy or what-have-you) effects.

The effects in this tutorial are designed to be removable. If you don't care about that and want the effect to be permanent, just skip the whole foil part and put the glue right on the figure.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

-A base piece (a figure, weapon, or even vehicle you want to add flames to)
-A hot glue gun and hot glue
-Transparent paint
-Aluminum foil

--------------------------------------------------
STEP 1: Evaluate your starting piece
---------------------------------------------------

Whether you're adding effects to a weapon (like I did on my self custom) a figure (like we'll do here) or a vehicle, you need to evaluate where the best places to attach them will be. The effects have to be able to cling onto the original piece while still being removable. It's best to study existing blast/flame effects to see how Hasbro and other toy companies have accomplished this. The little lightning cuffs that come with the Force Unleashed three-pack are great examples to study. Notice how they wrap onto the figure's limbs; you'll want to design your effects in a similar way.

-----------------------------------------------------
STEP 2: Foil
Once you've decided on a piece to add effects to (in this case, I'm using a 25th BAT from the Arise, Serpentor, Arise pack) and where you want to add those effects, get out some aluminum foil and wrap those areas. Get a good, tight fit. The foil is there to keep the hotglue from adhering to your figure, while still providing a good, snug fit for the finished effects.

-------------------------------------------------------
STEP 3: The frame
--------------------------------------------------------
Plug in your hot glue gun and let it warm up (but not too long). For this project, you want to keep the glue from getting too melty, so unplug the glue gun as needed to keep it at a low temperature (or if you have one of those fancy glue guns with temperature settings, use the lowest). Start building the frame of your effect onto the foil you just put down. Make sure you're creating a wrapping effect, but at the same time, still leaving a way to remove and reattach the piece. Don't worry too much about detail at this stage, just lay down some glue-paths. You'll want to make them thick, so to avoid breakage while at the same time giving the piece a good amount of give.

---------------------------------------------------------
STEP 4: Details
----------------------------------------------------------
Once you've finished the frame and it has set up (which it probably will have by the time you're done if you're keeping your glue cool), you can start adding the flame details. To do this, put a blob of glue down (on top of the frame you just made) and then pull the glue gun outward, creating a sort of conical shape.

Let it set up for a few seconds, then break the glue-strand and move onto the next flame. Don't worry if you get a lot of glue stringing, you can clean that up later. Just keep repeating this process and add as many little flames as you want to the frame. When you're done, you should have something that looks like this:

------------------------------------------------------------
STEP 5: Removing the foil
---------------------------------------------------------------
After all of your flames are on and dried, take the time to break off any glue strings (just use your fingers, they pull right off). Then it's time to remove the effects from the foil. Since the glue doesn't stick very well to aluminum foil, this is pretty easy. Just flex the effects a few times to break the bond, then peel the foil away. Try to get it all in one piece (this avoids little scraps of foil that can be difficult to separate from the dried glue...if you get these, just scrape them away with an Xacto).

When you're done, you should be left with something that looks like this:

If any of your effects tear, just use the tip of your hot glue gun to melt them back together. That's the great thing about hot glue; it's very forgiving. When you're done with any repairs, fit the effects back onto the figure to make sure they still fit, like so

(I just realized that one of my effects switched feet...oh well, that's the beauty of removable effects; they're interchangeable!)

------------------------------------------------------
STEP 6: Painting
Get out your transparent paints (for flames we'll use yellow and orange, but if you're looking to do non-flame effects, pick your own colors). I use Tamiya, but there are other brands, too. Start with a good basecoat of yellow, and make sure to be thorough and get every surface:

After that is done, switch to orange. With the orange, you don't have to be as thorough. Just slop it on, almost as if you are dry-brushing. You can also add some red if you want, but, in my opinion, it looks better with just yellow and orange.

-------------------------------------------------------
STEP 7: Done!
---------------------------------------------------------
Once the paint is dry, go ahead and put your effects back on your figure/weapon/vehicle. Enjoy!

I tried to be as thorough as possible, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Full post(at joecustoms)

http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12821&hilit=hot+glue+lightening

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2009, 07:51:35 AM »
man that's awesome.... Definately going to have to try that!  Thanks man!  oh the ideas going on in my head now......

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2009, 08:09:46 AM »
thank darko, the guy is like an evil genius.

If you read that original thread, he also shows how to make flame stands(like boba's) and the hot glue neck adapter.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2009, 09:25:44 AM »
That is a really neat flame effect. could  you imagine the fire coming out of a walker like that?

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »
Good stuff, Narce!!  Thankd for sharing that!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2009, 12:52:34 PM »
Yes!! That is a great technique! Thanks for the share!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2009, 07:32:38 PM »
I actually did not put alot of work into this figure.  It just needed some custom loving and care to get up to par with it's articulation. 

I fixed most of the problems by cutting the wrists and inserting pins to allow them to twist. I cut through the "backbone" at the hips and placed a swivel pin there as well. In some photos these pins are visible...

The head/ neck retooling was the most dificult. With both an exacto knife and my dremel I removed the stock head and neck and replaced it with a random gi-joe neck and ball. Then I used the spherical wood-cutting tool to dremel out a socket in the head as well as open up the jaw to get a good fit. One photo has a detail shot of the socket.

A repaint with a Star Wars battle droid backpack added as well as a random star wars gun both painted to match and I've got a Terminator....

What do you guys think?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »
This figure is a highly modified 25th Scarlett figure.  I used alot of apoxi sculpt on this figure...   I removed scarlett's hair and sculpted on my own to replace it.  I had to give her a short style cut since I wanted to use one of clint's resin helmets.  The helmet was rather small and as the figure is now it fits just right.  I'm still very happy with it. 

I am dissapointed with the paint around and in the joints.  I can't get the paint to stay on the inside of the swivel part of the joints.  I've tried sanding it down slightly, letting it sit overnight and cure longer, I've tried thin applications of paint and thick applications... nothing stays.  I finally said to hell with it and just use this disclaimer:

"Customization of action figure may cause unsightly joints."

anyway here are the pics.

The Huntress meets the Temptress

Of course comments are wanted, needed! So please comment, tell me what you think.  Improvements need to be made? things you like/dislike?  please do tell.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2009, 07:44:04 PM »
That sculpted hair turned out great. Yep, you are going to like this bigger mando helmet that I am casting.

I really like that terminator. you really added to it's positioning possibilities.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2009, 03:37:26 AM »
Wow. My jaw is still unhinged. I love that new female mando based on the scarlett figure. That mythrosaur skull tatoo on the leg is friggin awesome. Daggone you have some great poses there too. I didn't notice the paint problem on the joints you were talking about. I really like the pics of her in  helmet with weapon firing too. Daggone awesome spudafett. Daggone, I would love to see this one get some snap on mando or clone armor, but she looks sweet. Love that shot of her cutting off the hair of the other Mando. I just like this whole figure. I can smell FP on this one.

The terminator is over the top too. You said you didn't put a lot of work into this one, but after reading the process, it sure sounded like you did to me. Nice work.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2009, 06:55:38 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm realy proud of both of these figs. 

Tamor my original thought was to make some removable armor for the chick.  But I figure I'll use the excuse that she didn't like the heavy chestplates of traditional mando's and instead liked to use her assets to distract her enemy ;) lol   

When I talk about the terminator it does sound like alot of work but it honestly took me under 30 min to whip out.   It's probably one of the easiest customs I've done in a while.  Of course I've gotten pretty good and cutting up neck's and such lately so that could be it too!  :P

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2009, 07:12:29 AM »
Buddy, I am impressed with all of your joint and head work. I am going to have to try some of this stuff.
  I just noticed that leg tattoo. Nice! Your hands can't be that shaky if you can pull that off.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2009, 08:16:59 AM »
hah!  that's the second version of that tat that I had done!  I used a sharpie marker too so I kinda cheated... and I used both hands to steady myself!   

btw.  sharpie markers arn't actually black!  I never noticed that untill I tried to use one to touch up some black paint gaps on a figure... the damn things are more purple than they are black... funny thing with this figure is that in the pictures it actually matches the costume color closer than it looks black, in hand though it is a lot darker.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2009, 08:55:07 AM »
I have noticed that about black sharpie markers before. Looks good, though.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2009, 11:00:19 AM »
It sounds to me like you are using some great articulation from existing figures and then applying it to SW and other figures. Makes me wonder why hasbro can't do it if you can whip one up in 30 minutes, but I already know the answer. Still great work. I don't know that I would put armor on her anyway, she looks daggone tough enough the way she is. It would be a Mando who would think armor was cheating in combat.