Author Topic: Laojax diorama accessories  (Read 7503 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Laojax diorama accessories
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 10:06:03 AM »
Awesome! I love shots like these! Please share any time!

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
would love to see more shot of your swoop shop...love the details in that piece

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 03:18:31 PM »
Cool Customs! i really like the guy next to the swoop, whats the part list on him?
He's actually a figure from the anime Appleseed, just happens to be the same scale as Star Wars.  He's actually so fragile that I've had to replace his original shoulders with revoltech joints and his waist joint with a magnet. (He can easily be chopped in half D.Maul style!)

would love to see more shot of your swoop shop...love the details in that piece
That background is just a Kotobukiya Mechanical Chain base unit that I know a lot of customizers and diorama guys have, painted aluminum and weathered up with washes. Been meaning to get more of them, but the line appears to have been discontinued. Gonna try to track down some leftovers from some Japanese vendors, because they are very cool and make a great backdrop for custom figure pics!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:31:11 PM by Laojax »

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »
Well, I tried to post this yesterday and the whole thing disappeared halfway through, (phone problem) so I'll give this another try. 

The other day I came across another kotobukiya chain base in the hobby section at Yodobashi Camera and snapped it up, assembled/painted/weathered it and attached it to my existing one for a bigger background. Then on the weekend the kid and I set up a big pirate base. Not an attempt at realism, mind you, just trying to create something big and cool with what we have lying around. 

The chain base components are behind the 100% canon spinosaurus! 

Back story for my custom Twi'lek:
Fel'eshk  Dhigre 
Enslaved by pirates after surviving an attack on her transport ship, Fel'eshk is put in compromising positions nightly in service to her captors, a surly and revolting lot. By day, they find alternate use for her nimble hands in their droid workshop, where she uses her innate aptitude for the mechanical and electrical engineering aspects of droid repair. Lacking in knowledge of binary programming languages, she often finds herself the custodian of droids that simply will not move, although physically in top condition.  The pirates have a growing collection of Clone Wars-remnant battle droids with which Fel'eshk is charged with returning to combat-ready status. 

(The battle droid is actually my son's first custom figure, dabbed with yellow paint, over which I applied a wash of grime.)
    Because her time in the droid shop is not nearly as horrifying as every other aspect of her life in captivity, she takes a modicum
of pride in her work there, even to the point that she has been studying droid operating system code.  She has refurbished several  anti-personnel droids and hidden them at various stash points around the fortress, waiting for the day when her programming skills prove sufficient to modify their directives and facilitate her escape. 

However, before those plans could actually come to fruition, the fortress came under attack by a detachment of Imperial walkers under the command of Captain Siina Esserlin (my female AT-AT commander) who operates within a special anti-piracy/slavery unit of the Imperial military, operating primarily in Corellian Sector.

Here is Captain Esserlin's back story:
Fiercely conscientious, she does whatever she can to free slaves and prevent them from being returned to their owners. Secretly skeptical of much of COMPNOR propaganda. 

Constantly running afoul of ISB for interrupting protected smuggling and pirate networks. 

Siina had the unfortunate experience as a child to have been on a vessel that was attacked and captured by pirates.  Although she was relatively well treated by the Binayre pirates, several crew members of her vessel, and one faculty member of her school (a favorite teacher) were savagely murdered in front of her and her classmates, who had been on a school trip. 

She rode Cracian thumpers as a child on trips to the countryside, but longed to ride larger, slower beasts after hearing stories of Dathomiri nightsisters mounted on rancors. 
In her late teens she attempted to ride a Gronda, and sustained injuries that prevented her timely application to imperial officers' school, so she applied directly to the walker pilot program, having received nearly perfect scores on the pilot skills assessment tests. 
Became a first class AT-AT pilot, and was later promoted to captain and given command of her own walker. 

I'm probably going to do a little work on Siina's hairstyle and skin tone to make her look less like Leia, but that'll have to come later. That's it for now, guys! Thanks for checking these out! 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 07:47:02 AM »
Oh yeah, great make shift diorama. Back on the front page. Loved seeing that AT-AT get in on the action too. [at1]

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »
Very cool! By the way what is the creature next to jabba with the horns in the 1st pic?

Offline wheeljack

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
Some really fun set ups, I love the picks with the Jawas dumpster diving, one of them has fallen over hahaha stupid jawas :)

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 01:05:24 PM »
Nice setup's. Tell your son Great job on his first figure!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »
The guy with the horns is a kaiju from the Ultraman series; I think his name is Mikulas. Here in ol' Nihon we can't find Star Wars figs in stores at all, but there are weird vinyl monsters and power rangers in abundance.  I'll have to do a photo set of some of the cooler ones for y'all sometime!

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 03:17:09 PM »
Another thing that's pretty fun is setting up a fortress like this is putting figures all over it and then sniping them with nerf guns! Like, "OK now we're the stormtroopers, let's try to get all the pirates!"

Liam also loves Angry Birds, so sometimes we make really rickety structures and chuck stuffed animals at them, using the ultraman monsters in place of the green piggies. Great fun!

I'm thinking of giving Siina Esserlin some yellow Corellian bloodstripes (a mark of heroism awarded by the Corellian military to distinguished citizens). Apparently the Empire allows its Corellian officers to rock the stripes (gotta love Wookiepedia for writing backstories!), but I'm still debating. Any opinions?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:33:45 PM by Laojax »

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »
The guy with the horns is a kaiju from the Ultraman series; I think his name is Mikulas. Here in ol' Nihon we can't find Star Wars figs in stores at all, but there are weird vinyl monsters and power rangers in abundance.  I'll have to do a photo set of some of the cooler ones for y'all sometime!

ah, Very cool!, who is the guy in armor with the gun ?

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »
The dude who's surrendering to stormtroopers? That's a guy from the anime Appleseed, there's a little more about him earlier in this thread.

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
The dude who's surrendering to stormtroopers? That's a guy from the anime Appleseed, there's a little more about him earlier in this thread.

ah cool!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 06:35:27 PM »
Very cool, I agree, setups like these are a lot of fun. So much playability and my son and I do thhe same thing with the nerf guns! lol

Offline Darth Revenge

• Living Dead Sith
  • Colonel
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
Great !

Inspirating me for Jabba's Palace (and more, but I now work on Jabba...)
Really like all the boxes  ;D
Living Dead Never Die - There is no death, only the Dark Side