Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137322 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #840 on: May 26, 2023, 04:11:04 PM »
I got the two pieces from Sri Lanka, a lot sooner than I was expecting. I knew the 3d printing wouldn't be perfect but in hand it's gonna be a whole lotta work getting rid of the print lines, especially on the barrier. The turret, I was able to sand it well enough for a background piece. I think I'll get some primer, sand it prime it until it's smooth. If I painted the barrier as is it's going to look like doodoo especially when I weather it.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #841 on: May 26, 2023, 09:24:58 PM »
Cool that you got them quickly, bummer that they're so much work. Hopefully you will get them to a satisfactory condition. I wonder if there are stl files out there for the barrier. If so, I wonder if a better printer would help solve the problem.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #842 on: May 26, 2023, 10:17:33 PM »
If you have a dremel, you might find some useful tools for this task here. Especially those sanding drums at minute 3:07.
This is how I work on rough surfaces before polishing. If I was there to help you out, I'd skip to the last step and sand these with three different grids, depending on how fine the print lines are. Please, be sure to wear a mask in any case. Who else has a few dozen of them left from the Pandemic?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 10:19:04 PM by Darth More »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #843 on: May 27, 2023, 12:40:43 AM »
Cool that you got them quickly, bummer that they're so much work. Hopefully you will get them to a satisfactory condition. I wonder if there are stl files out there for the barrier. If so, I wonder if a better printer would help solve the problem.
I don't know where he gets his files, I've never seen them before. I read in one description they're from a patrion or something, where he bought the rights. I dunno. He has cool stuff, just needs to make better prints, or better yet print a master and make resin duplicates. Ill see what I can do.

If you have a dremel, you might find some useful tools for this task here. Especially those sanding drums at minute 3:07.
This is how I work on rough surfaces before polishing. If I was there to help you out, I'd skip to the last step and sand these with three different grids, depending on how fine the print lines are. Please, be sure to wear a mask in any case. Who else has a few dozen of them left from the Pandemic?

Thanks for the tip, a rotary tool would be great in getting in those small spaces. The problem with a dremel is the heat, same with sandpaper to a degree. This plastic doesn't like heat and it'll melt and have burrs and end up feathery. It's a softer plastic than the turret. The turret sands okay.
I think I'll either use multiple primer coats or actually use modge podge. To basically fill the grooves instead of taking the material away. It doesn't need to be a glass finish, just not like a washboard.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #844 on: May 27, 2023, 06:30:48 AM »
Yeah, I hate those print lines you see from the older printers.

Still, they look great as part of your dio.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #845 on: May 28, 2023, 05:21:14 PM »
I decided to use modge podge for the 3d printed items. I had the idea to give it texture, I'm not sure if it was a good idea or not. I think next time I'll go multiple thinned layers of modge podge. Still better than the 3d lines. Also painted the Bunker and checkpoint.

Next I will start painting the outer walls.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 07:07:40 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #846 on: May 29, 2023, 02:09:38 PM »
The mod podge is a great idea to address the print lines. The texture almost looks a little like corrosion and/or the dirt and dust build up that occurs on metal left outdoors and not carefully maintained. I think it looks pretty good. You're right though, thinner layers might achieve a more uniform look. This is a really phenomenal diorama.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #847 on: May 29, 2023, 07:10:58 PM »
The mod podge is a great idea to address the print lines. The texture almost looks a little like corrosion and/or the dirt and dust build up that occurs on metal left outdoors and not carefully maintained. I think it looks pretty good. You're right though, thinner layers might achieve a more uniform look. This is a really phenomenal diorama.
Thanks! I was watching ROTJ, and was looking at Jabba's palace door, and thought it was a good idea. That door was probably plywood, but they made it look metal. All said and done, I'd buy from him again. Shipping was pretty fast, quality is okay, considering you have to resurface it. A few coats of  Primer, or  thinned modge podge is all it takes. stuff_sl is the seller.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #848 on: May 30, 2023, 02:51:18 AM »
Looks spot on authentic to me.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #849 on: May 30, 2023, 08:41:45 AM »
Just stack some palm trees and sand and you've got the look for Scarif down perfectly.

These Imperial emplacements look awesome!
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #850 on: May 30, 2023, 09:09:42 PM »
Looks spot on authentic to me.

Off to share on the front pages.
Thank you Tamer! I'm kind of making it up as I go, I see something cool I can use.
Just stack some palm trees and sand and you've got the look for Scarif down perfectly.

These Imperial emplacements look awesome!

Thank you! I need to make some more palm trees. Maybe a different method. My fan fic world of Galgrebaa is similar to scarif. With more of a Mediterranean with caribbean and gulf of Mexico accents. Soon I'll do a pirate hideout terrain, which will be pretty fun.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #851 on: June 11, 2023, 04:46:38 PM »
Started mocking up a city ruin modular set up, just out of scrap styrofoam.

Also tried to make a palm tree from redwood tree branches Starchaser sent like a year ago. Worked pretty well. A contrast to the others I've made.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #852 on: June 12, 2023, 06:39:36 PM »
I really like how those redwood palms look (I may be biased however ;D). Great idea to use scrap Styrofoam for a ruined complex. This will be cool to watch develop.

PS - there's always more redwood scrap. The tree is three stories tall.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #853 on: June 14, 2023, 09:00:03 PM »
Aquarium plants for reptiles are a great substitute for "island" backdrops. Not very expensive either.

Awesome work tho making do with what you can!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 05:02:35 PM by RC-1136 »
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
« Reply #854 on: June 15, 2023, 09:56:49 AM »
awesome job