Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137327 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #810 on: May 04, 2023, 03:10:17 AM »
Oh yeah, this is gonna be good.

Off to share.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #811 on: May 04, 2023, 07:17:39 AM »
I like how that looks. The "ribbing" in the foam works really well.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #812 on: May 04, 2023, 11:02:40 AM »
Oh yeah, this is gonna be good.

Off to share.
Thanks! I like this time of year to build. I can work outside, let stuff dry, longer daylight hours. I can probably make it into something cool in a week.

I like how that looks. The "ribbing" in the foam works really well.
If I tried to replicate this using XPS board, it would cost more than $50 and take more than 2 weeks to build. This costs nothing, all I need to do is fill in the gap around/behind the bunker entrance.  Probably just give it a couple coats of Modge Podge, paint it and done.
My second choice would be to build a mountainside, using cardboard, paper, plaster etc. But it wouldn't be modular, it would probably get damaged everytime I break it down and store it. This is the most logical solution.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #813 on: May 04, 2023, 12:57:16 PM »
I agree. I think it totally works and can be dismantled. I just noticed the aquarium floor panels behing the bunker at "fencing." That's actually a great idea. Though I could also see filling in the gap with other foam or something. If you're going to ModPodge over it that could help erase joint lines. I'll be curious to see what you decide to do.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #814 on: May 04, 2023, 07:14:34 PM »
I agree. I think it totally works and can be dismantled. I just noticed the aquarium floor panels behing the bunker at "fencing." That's actually a great idea. Though I could also see filling in the gap with other foam or something. If you're going to ModPodge over it that could help erase joint lines. I'll be curious to see what you decide to do.

I had some more pieces that came with the tv and with a few cuts it fits almost perfectly. Perfectly enough if that makes sense.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #815 on: May 05, 2023, 12:12:19 AM »
Yep! I like the look of that. The angle cut above the bunker looks great.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #816 on: May 05, 2023, 01:50:35 AM »
Very nice, it looks great without the moss on top. If I can find it used for cheap somehow, I'll try the same.
I also like the modifications that Toys are the way applied to his bunker.
Maybe I'll try to build my own. Cool stuff here. I just love the shipyards because of y'all guys!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #817 on: May 05, 2023, 04:08:10 AM »
Very nice, it looks great without the moss on top. If I can find it used for cheap somehow, I'll try the same.
I also like the modifications that Toys are the way applied to his bunker.
Maybe I'll try to build my own. Cool stuff here. I just love the shipyards because of y'all guys!
Yeah I watch him, he's good. He made a pretty screen accurate bunker, but he might as well have taken the moss off.
Im going for a more genaric all purpose bunker. I probably will repaint, and when I do I'll fill the gaps with greenstuff.  To me the moss is more unsightly than the holes, but without the moss it's missing something.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #818 on: May 07, 2023, 02:04:23 PM »
Update on the fortress. I glued the styrofoam pieces together using clear fabric glue. Then mixed spackle, modgepodge and black paint. Then added a few coats to the foam. I did a light sand and then gave it several washes of white and concrete watercolor. I think I might need some more pavement tiles. Im waiting for some 3d printed items to arrive. I got a mapuzo laser checkpoint from hole in the ground and a laser turret and a barrier made in the likeness of the bunker from an ebay seller.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #819 on: May 07, 2023, 02:48:13 PM »
That's brilliant! The foam walls look outstanding. This is one amazing diorama and will look even better with the new elements added in. This would totally work as a background for a movie.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #820 on: May 08, 2023, 02:54:14 AM »
Man that styrofoam looks just like crete. Freaking awesome.

About the only thing this needs is an AT-ST or three standing out front.

Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #821 on: May 08, 2023, 07:06:29 AM »
That's brilliant! The foam walls look outstanding. This is one amazing diorama and will look even better with the new elements added in. This would totally work as a background for a movie.
Thanks bud! Those redwood fronds you sent me, I'm thinking they might make good palm leaves. I'll have to try it out because I want to make this base on a tropical planet, since I have Shoretroopers.

Man that styrofoam looks just like crete. Freaking awesome.

About the only thing this needs is an AT-ST or three standing out front.

Off to share.
Thank you! I put up an atst to see if the wall is tall enough, and it is, but my atst is looking sad. Either need to get the new one hoping the legs are significantly better or take my worst atst and glue the legs in a standing position.

Offline Jodo

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
    • Toys and Deep Thinking Blog
« Reply #822 on: May 08, 2023, 06:47:21 PM »
That looks great!!!!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #823 on: May 08, 2023, 07:02:04 PM »
That looks great!!!!

Thank you!

Since I decided to make my fortress in a tropical environment, I added some vines and overgrowth. Maybe I went a little heavy handed or just right. It needed something. Especially being in a jungle. The idea is the fortress is very old, but the Empire commandeered the fortress and modified it for military use. I added loose debris and moss to the bunker that can be removed.  I really need to repaint the bunker. Maybe when my checkpoint and laser cannon comes, I'll paint them all at once.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 07:47:25 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #824 on: May 08, 2023, 11:41:29 PM »
I like that. Where are the vines from? They look great!