Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137312 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #795 on: May 17, 2022, 07:26:08 PM »
For your first palm tree it sure looks like you have made em all the time. Nice!

Well thank you! It's about using techniques you're familiar and comfortable with. One thing I dislike about some YouTube crafters is they claim their way is the one and only way and if you do it differently you're doing it wrong. I get into it with them. Im like man I've been doing it the way you said not to for 10 years and I've never had a problem.  Maybe they had bad luck with those techniques, but they aren't wrong. To each their own. Find what you're comfortable with and perfect it.  Thats the one thing I just don't like about YouTube, the monetization, sponsorships, product plugs. Forums are better. Just real folks making stuff.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 07:56:40 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #796 on: May 17, 2022, 11:33:45 PM »
I like that - "just real folks making stuff" - that would make a great slogan ;D

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #797 on: May 18, 2022, 02:31:53 AM »
Your diorama comes along very nicely! I really like how you turn your collection into a really delicate one, like RC-1136. Those diorama parts and trees are to be admired!
They look spot on and I cannot wait to see the final results. It's like seeing a battlefield for SW LEGION coming together - only in 1/18 scale - or favorite! Thanks for sharing your ideas and progress, Sir!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #798 on: May 18, 2022, 01:52:29 PM »
I like that - "just real folks making stuff" - that would make a great slogan ;D

Heck yeah! That's why id never want to make money doing my hobby. Then it becomes work. 

Your diorama comes along very nicely! I really like how you turn your collection into a really delicate one, like RC-1136. Those diorama parts and trees are to be admired!
They look spot on and I cannot wait to see the final results. It's like seeing a battlefield for SW LEGION coming together - only in 1/18 scale - or favorite! Thanks for sharing your ideas and progress, Sir!

Thank you. I get a lot of inspiration from legion terrains. They're modular, like how I'm doing.
I did make a couple of batches of trees today, to make 10, and I went to the pet store to pick up some tarantula substrate, which is a premix of bark,coconut fiber, sand and peat moss, I might sift out some of the big chunks.  Also got some lizard plants to add to what I already have. What's pictured is just a sample.  The big hanging plants are made of a lot of small plants that I run a scewer through a few of them to make a bush.
 I might make some taller straight trees, something taller than an AT-ST.  I probably have enough to make a cool scene, just kind of waiting for the shoretrooper 4pack to come.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 02:47:58 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #799 on: May 18, 2022, 10:33:02 PM »
That looks fabulous JDeck! It totally looks like the Empire in the Caribbean. That palm strategy definitely paid off.

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #800 on: May 19, 2022, 12:32:15 AM »
I agree with Starchaser, I'm really digging your take on Scarif! Love all the different artificial plants you found. The palm trees look really vivid because you made the trunks all different.
The feathers are painted nicely, reminds me of the Scarif Diorama that Frank Diorio from Diorama Workshop put up on Star Wars Celebration for the Legion miniatures.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #801 on: May 19, 2022, 03:00:30 AM »
Wow, your update is awesome! Your Shoretroopers are gonna have one awesome way to deploy.

Off to the front pages.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #802 on: May 19, 2022, 03:55:11 AM »
Absolutely nailed it! Great work.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #803 on: May 19, 2022, 06:58:47 AM »
That looks fabulous JDeck! It totally looks like the Empire in the Caribbean. That palm strategy definitely paid off.

Thank you! If I make any more, I'd make the trunks skinnier and a lighter color, maybe use white paper and watercolors? I found out scarif was filmed in the Laamu Atolls, south of India. It looks like mostly coconut palms and some kind of shubbery called Scaevola . There isn't much biodiversity on a small island or archipelago.  But I can use most of this for Morak too. Maybe even Salucami,  Cato Niemoidia or Kashyyyk?  Not sure what the planet is going to be in Andor, I can't imagine it would be Scarif again.

I agree with Starchaser, I'm really digging your take on Scarif! Love all the different artificial plants you found. The palm trees look really vivid because you made the trunks all different.
The feathers are painted nicely, reminds me of the Scarif Diorama that Frank Diorio from Diorama Workshop put up on Star Wars Celebration for the Legion miniatures.

I forgot about Frank. I got off Facebook and he doesn't post here. I looked him up and that Scarif set up is insane. He always did a good job with these celebration displays, but he's gotten to be some kind of wizard. I was watching one of his videos while I was "working" (I'm self employed lol) i might attempt to make the Scarif bunker, at least some small variant.

Absolutely nailed it! Great work.

Thank you! Seeing you're from Florida that's saying something. It's been a while since I've been around palm trees.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:54:32 AM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #804 on: May 19, 2022, 12:37:51 PM »
There isn't much biodiversity on a small island or archipelago.  But I can use most of this for Morak too. Maybe even Salucami,  Cato Niemoidia or Kashyyyk? 

Certainly the small plants would work for Kashyyyk and Cato Neimoidia. I'm not so sure about Saleucami - though Darth More has done this brilliantly - I see that as mostly fungi. But it certainly gives you variety for flora-filler:)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #805 on: May 19, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »
Wow, your update is awesome! Your Shoretroopers are gonna have one awesome way to deploy.

Off to the front pages.

Thank you! I would like to try making that scarif bunker, and have a bunch of troopers running out of it. At least make the facade. The shoretroopers are due out in August, but usually these things come out a couple months early. I guess I have time.

There isn't much biodiversity on a small island or archipelago.  But I can use most of this for Morak too. Maybe even Salucami,  Cato Niemoidia or Kashyyyk? 

Certainly the small plants would work for Kashyyyk and Cato Neimoidia. I'm not so sure about Saleucami - though Darth More has done this brilliantly - I see that as mostly fungi. But it certainly gives you variety for flora-filler:)

Yeah Saleucami I imagined from the battlefront renegade Squadron had some shrubs, but yeah mostly skinny palms and large mushrooms. I could definitely do Morak, with the Slave I, the upcoming morak drivers and shoretroopers. Kashyyyk, I would need to make those big trees, at least the lower part of one.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #806 on: May 03, 2023, 03:19:17 PM »
I took the moss off the new Endor Bunker. There are holes on top, but looking at it as a background piece, you can't see them. I could putty over them, and repaint the whole thing, but it's not really necessary. This way I can build whater environment I want for my Imperial bases.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #807 on: May 03, 2023, 03:23:12 PM »
I took the moss off the new Endor Bunker. There are holes on top, but looking at it as a background piece, you can't see them. I could putty over them, and repaint the whole thing, but it's not really necessary. This way I can build whater environment I want for my Imperial bases.
Having issues posting pictures on desktop.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #808 on: May 03, 2023, 11:17:34 PM »
Nice! I haven't opened mine yet, but was wondering what it might be like to take the moss off. So...thanks for beating me to it ;D

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #809 on: May 04, 2023, 02:23:06 AM »
Nice! I haven't opened mine yet, but was wondering what it might be like to take the moss off. So...thanks for beating me to it ;D

I was nervous taking it off. I was waiting for someone else to do it first, but I hadn't seen anyone do it. I figured somebody would as soon as they opened it. I wanted to get a second one, to try, but they hadn't gone to clearence yet.

I bought a tv 6 months ago, and I thought the styrofoam would make a cool imperial fortress. I'm still playing around with it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 03:07:48 AM by JDeck »