Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137360 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #780 on: April 25, 2022, 08:47:06 AM »
I like how the gun turned out. I does look better without the gunner chair, to be sure. This is one most excellent Battlefront base for your Imperials. And I like the special effects shot, too!

Thanks man! That chair looks too comfortable for the Empire, it's got cup holders and everything. I think I'll set it up outside and do some flashing fireworks along with the green lighting for a more dramatic effect.

Man, nice gun. I don't think you can go wrong with that cannon period. Looks great in your dio.

Off to the front pages.
Thank you! Some of these old kenner playsets and things, they just need a paint job to bring out the detail. That chair was distracting from it's greatness.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #781 on: May 13, 2022, 01:20:20 PM »
Ive made a few acquisitions and additions to my base. I got the Endor Bunker, may or may not repaint it. Made some concrete slabs with 1sq.ft insulation foam, modge podge and white, black and concrete watercolors. Made a few little simple props.

I got some different crates and a tractor beam generator from Hole In The Ground.
The cube crates were painted white then dry brushed with black, then dry brushed silver then brown and white washes. Not sure why I painted them all white but I did. Deal with it. The large crate painted white with a grime wash. The Rebel crate was painted dark red, then dry brushed red, then a pinkish dry brush. The ridged death star crates were just spray painted IJN Grey.

The Tractor beam. I first base coated it black, then IJN Grey, then a quick blast of light and dark greys for variation. Then dry brushed IJN Grey. Not gonna lie the decals were a pain. I must have skipped cutting circles class in elementary school, cuz I sucked and fitting the stickers over the greebles was a disaster. Fitting the three sides together was a little finicky. Once it's glued in place, that's it, theres no going back. So theres a small gap on the back, that's my error. It still looks cool. I like it. I'll use it as a turbolaser generator.  So I think I can make some cool scenes with all this stuff.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:03:05 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #782 on: May 13, 2022, 07:19:30 PM »
Turned out brilliant! This is going to be one really great looking base. Too bad the Rebels are going to have to blow it up ;D
Really, I think the parts you have assembled will be most useful for many scenes. Really nice work!

On another note, I finally got my redwood material packaged. It will go in the mail tomorrow. Sorry about the delay.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #783 on: May 14, 2022, 04:35:14 AM »
Wow, looks awesome to me. Great additions.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #784 on: May 14, 2022, 06:37:17 PM »
Turned out brilliant! This is going to be one really great looking base. Too bad the Rebels are going to have to blow it up ;D
Really, I think the parts you have assembled will be most useful for many scenes. Really nice work!

On another note, I finally got my redwood material packaged. It will go in the mail tomorrow. Sorry about the delay.

Thank you! I can use a lot of this stuff in my Galgrebaa Spaceport too. I need to open up my RazorCrest and do something like that. In the meantime

Cool I appreciate it! I thought you already shipped it and it got lost in the mail. So that's good. Right now Im working on some Palm trees. I never tried it before, so im just experimenting. Having lived on the Gulf Coast, theres thousands of different palm tree variants, so if I end up with a thousand different looking palm trees it'll be alright.

Wow, looks awesome to me. Great additions.

Thank you!   I ordered a few more Rebels Crates, some Rhydonium barrels and an imperial Treadwell droid. He actually shipped it today, which is nice. Must have had them already in stock.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #785 on: May 14, 2022, 09:47:40 PM »
Awesome! All this pieces and boxes are what pump life and realism into the dio, its make all the difference.

I need to catch up with the new hole in the ground products 0/

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #786 on: May 15, 2022, 11:24:33 AM »
Awesome! All this pieces and boxes are what pump life and realism into the dio, its make all the difference.

I need to catch up with the new hole in the ground products 0/

Thank you! You gotta have some crates in an imperial diorama. Especially those cube crates. Its interesting that Lucas would arrange all of these crates to hide wires and set frames, but they also made the station look busy.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #787 on: May 15, 2022, 11:34:06 AM »
  I started making some Palm trees for Scarif scenes. I've been doing research and looking at videos of people making palm trees, so I borrowed ideas from several sources plus my own methods of making other trees.

First I made an aluminum foil core, then wrapped bailing wire around it. At this point it can be bent easily. Then i used Modge Podge and  1/4"-1/2" wide torn strips of brown paper. I dip the strips into the modge podge then wraped them around the tree top to bottom. Then when its almost dry, I squeeze the trunk with my hands. Great thing using brown paper theres no need to paint them. It looks good the way it is to me.

For the leaves they are craft chicken feathers basically. About 3-5" cut in half then shaped with scissors into a leaf shape. Then I spray paint them tan, then green. Then I hot glue them to the tree.

So I'll put it into mass production. I might add the feathers, then spray them, seems it would be easier and I end up having to sray them once glued anyway. If anyone has any ideas or improvements let me know.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:39:17 AM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #788 on: May 15, 2022, 01:43:23 PM »

Thank you! I can use a lot of this stuff in my Galgrebaa Spaceport too. I need to open up my RazorCrest and do something like that. In the meantime

Cool I appreciate it! I thought you already shipped it and it got lost in the mail. So that's good.

Yeah...sorry about that. We have this rain thing here and I wanted to make sure the material was thoroughly dry before I packaged it.  :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 05:19:57 PM by Starchaser »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #789 on: May 15, 2022, 02:00:06 PM »
Your palm strategy is working really well. Those trees look outstanding! And thanks for the WIP pictures.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #790 on: May 15, 2022, 06:51:19 PM »

Cool I appreciate it! I thought you already shipped it and it got lost in the mail. So that's good.

Yeah...sorry about that. We have rain thing here and I wanted to make sure the material was thoroughly dry before I packaged it.  :)

Its all good man. I recently sealed something that was damp and molded big time, so that's good thinking. Otherwise id open a box of penicillin.

Your palm strategy is working really well. Those trees look outstanding! And thanks for the WIP pictures.

Thanks man. Yeah it's working out. I'll start mass production tomorrow. So I use about 20 leaves per tree so that's 10 full feathers, I have plenty of foil, wire and paper. Might need to get more Modge Podge, I don't want to switch to Elmers glue, once you get a winning formula you don't change it, it might give it a gloss sheen I don't want. Painting the leaves after glueing them to the tree seems to be working. Fyi you want to paint the lower leaves tan and the upper leaves green, with dark green and tan tips.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #791 on: May 16, 2022, 03:08:27 AM »
Your trees look great! Thanks for sharing your process.

Offline Raylen

• Lieutenant
    • Hole in the Ground Productions
« Reply #792 on: May 16, 2022, 03:32:21 PM »
The wire wrapped around the trunk is surprisingly effective. Interesting idea. Love seeing innovation like this.
Collector by choice. Customizer by necessity

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #793 on: May 16, 2022, 04:20:05 PM »
Your trees look great! Thanks for sharing your process.

Thank you! It's my first Palm tree, so glad to share my process. I had a few different ideas, but the foil is always my go-to for trunks. Its lightweight, malleable, and cheap.

The wire wrapped around the trunk is surprisingly effective. Interesting idea. Love seeing innovation like this.

Thank you! I was just thinking  maybe the wire was too much. But glad you like it. That's why the midway squeeze is crucial, it gets all the air out between the foil and paper.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #794 on: May 17, 2022, 02:56:26 AM »
For your first palm tree it sure looks like you have made em all the time. Nice!