Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137308 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #765 on: April 21, 2022, 04:14:20 PM »
I pre-fitted this the other day, figured I'd glue it together, and prime it. I suppose it's a long range communication relay. It can send, receive, intercept and jam transmissions.

It's made from the carbon freezing chamber thing that han goes into, some plastic cups, a Five Below radar dish toy, a hoth cannon model kit piece, and the antenna is from the vandor playset. And of course it started raining right after I shot it with primer.  I kind of like the color, so I might shoot it with clear, another coat and clear again.

I did add some little parabolic dishes around the main dish to look more like the dish on Endor. They don't all match but it's just
 background filler. Of course I have to paint it anyway, no big deal.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 08:07:40 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #766 on: April 22, 2022, 07:11:41 AM »
Wow awesome communications relay! Looks great.

Off to share on the front pages.

These are the types of things I would love to buy from Hasbro with a figure as a deluxe pack or something along those lines. We so need things like this for our action figures.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #767 on: April 22, 2022, 11:59:50 AM »
Wow awesome communications relay! Looks great.

Off to share on the front pages.

These are the types of things I would love to buy from Hasbro with a figure as a deluxe pack or something along those lines. We so need things like this for our action figures.

Thank you! I want a TVC Endor Bunker with a satellite dish thing about this size but screen accurate, and a Rebel Commando figure packed in. I'd pay $50 all day. I just "won" an auction for the POTF2 Bunker, just the bunker for $40. There's definitely a demand for cool display pieces and diorama accessories.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #768 on: April 22, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »
    I painted my fuel tank. Light grey primer coat, dark grey, then a light spray of light again, a light spray of dark, then a clear coat. Then I added some rusty dirt using some black pigment powder and woodland scenics burnt umber watercolor, then another clear coat.
Also I got 4 of these WWE "Highwire War" playset latticed towers. It's starting to look like an Imperial base.  The comm tower looks pretty good at a distance. I think if I add some small trees around it, it'll have the illusion of being very big and far away.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 06:42:39 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #769 on: April 22, 2022, 07:04:25 PM »
Your communications tower looks excellent. I love that you used "solo" plastic cups. I really like the paint job on the tank and those towers are great. I might have to look for some. I think your base is shaping up nicely!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #770 on: April 22, 2022, 07:24:28 PM »
Your communications tower looks excellent. I love that you used "solo" plastic cups. I really like the paint job on the tank and those towers are great. I might have to look for some. I think your base is shaping up nicely!

Thank you! The towers are cool they're about 18 inches tall (they're soft enough to cut easily) comes with 4 towers, zip ties and some cordage. I got mine on Ebay  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Highwire-War-Wrestling-Action-Figure-Playset-by-Figures-Toy-Company-/232239094882?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0 for $26 shipped, but I've also seen them on Amazon but not prime. I'll probably paint these, but they look pretty good as is.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 07:31:40 AM by Tamer »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #771 on: April 23, 2022, 03:14:52 AM »
JD, I think your recent projects are nothing less than spectacular! You captured the look and level of detail of those objects so well and it's just great to look at the results! Reminds me of all the screenshots I've already taken of EA's Battlefront...

These are such cool projects to build environments and I'm really looking forward to seeing you build a diorama for all your Scarif Troopers!
I really need to get back to the workbench again and continue my Battlefront Project as well. Thank you so much for the new motivation and w.i.p. shots!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #772 on: April 23, 2022, 07:33:51 AM »
Man, I was playing Battlefront with my daughter last night and this is so looking like the Imperial Base from the game. Nice work. Thanks for that tower link too.

Off to the front pages with this update.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #773 on: April 23, 2022, 03:43:11 PM »
JD, I think your recent projects are nothing less than spectacular! You captured the look and level of detail of those objects so well and it's just great to look at the results! Reminds me of all the screenshots I've already taken of EA's Battlefront...

These are such cool projects to build environments and I'm really looking forward to seeing you build a diorama for all your Scarif Troopers!
I really need to get back to the workbench again and continue my Battlefront Project as well. Thank you so much for the new motivation and w.i.p. shots!

Thank you! I guess we inspire each other, I ran across your Scarif Dio on Google images looking for reference pictures and it looks tremendous. I need to find that and make a comment. I don't know how I missed it.

The EA Battlefront designs are interresting, they borrow design elements from a lot of different mostly OT designs. For example, the fuel tank, has design elements from both an AT-AT and a Y-wing. So if you have some old star wars model kits, you can make a lot of these things.

Man, I was playing Battlefront with my daughter last night and this is so looking like the Imperial Base from the game. Nice work. Thanks for that tower link too.

Off to the front pages with this update.

Thank you! I never played the EA Battlefront, but I always use it as a reference. It's cool that they expand on the military side of star wars. The last gaming console I had was PS2, and someone stole it, so I got PSP, and played Renegade Squadron, and Elite Squadron like crazy.

But yeah It took a while to find those Towers, I almost bought this $50 toy crane, but I'm glad I found this. Hope someone can find it useful.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 04:46:16 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #774 on: April 24, 2022, 04:56:28 AM »
I'm glad to hear that! I think we both gathered a lot of ideas on the material thread as well. Cool, that google search spits out some of my pics, you can find the original post here.

I really like the fact that the crew of EA went above and beyond as far as map design goes. They shared a nice documentary about that on YouTube, which I can't find anymore now.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #775 on: April 24, 2022, 05:15:23 AM »
I'm glad to hear that! I think we both gathered a lot of ideas on the material thread as well. Cool, that google search spits out some of my pics, you can find the original post here.

I really like the fact that the crew of EA went above and beyond as far as map design goes. They shared a nice documentary about that on YouTube, which I can't find anymore now.

I think I remember seeing that video on how they made the terrain for Endor, it turned out amazingly. Speaking of crates, I bought on ebay, the droid factory mystery crates, just the crates, for less than $5 each. Which is fair, they're $15 retail exclusive to the parks, and I really just want the crates. Ill paint them up see how they look when they arrive.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
« Reply #776 on: April 24, 2022, 09:18:30 AM »
All this props are excellent! 110% fitting within the SW universe.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #777 on: April 24, 2022, 03:18:22 PM »
All this props are excellent! 110% fitting within the SW universe.

Thank you! I try. I was watching a video on what makes star wars design star wars. It was interesting. 

I painted up a Vintage Death Star Cannon. Originally I was going to add detail and rebuild it basically, but honestly it's pretty good as is especially being 40+ years old.
  It was already painted black from the previous owner, so that saved a step. I did cut off the chair. That thing looked like a Lazyboy chair. Then I painted it light grey, then dark grey, dry brushed silver, then gave it a black wash and clear coat.  The base it's on is a ziplok food container lid.
Then I was playing around with my star wars guys. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 03:59:49 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #778 on: April 24, 2022, 10:23:09 PM »
I like how the gun turned out. I does look better without the gunner chair, to be sure. This is one most excellent Battlefront base for your Imperials. And I like the special effects shot, too!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #779 on: April 25, 2022, 02:55:42 AM »
Man, nice gun. I don't think you can go wrong with that cannon period. Looks great in your dio.

Off to the front pages.