Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137322 times)

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #690 on: January 16, 2022, 01:44:13 AM »
Those are some fantastic shots!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #691 on: January 16, 2022, 02:04:51 AM »
I agree, I love your Dagoabah diorama so much! So awesome that it is in 1/18 scale and the light and fog effects add all the magic to it! These are some high-quality pictures there. Excellent work, JD!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #692 on: March 16, 2022, 02:29:33 PM »
Those are some fantastic shots!

Thank you!
I agree, I love your Dagoabah diorama so much! So awesome that it is in 1/18 scale and the light and fog effects add all the magic to it! These are some high-quality pictures there. Excellent work, JD!

Thank you! I like my little fog machine, maybe i like it too much, i use it in almost every picture. It creates atmosphere along with lighting.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #693 on: March 16, 2022, 02:44:01 PM »
   So I have this idea to make a modular Endor forest, so I can set up different scenes take pictures and pack it up.  If you know me i like Endor, so i have plenty of Endor forest diorama materials.
I bought some coconut lizard substrate for ground effects. Made a ton of forest litter using mostly ground up moss.and found materials. I think it was Darth more who gave me the idea to use palm tree tops for ferns and they work great!  I just stuck some scewers in the bottom so I can later stick the ferns into the foam bases.
I made a bunch of shubbery using Crape Myrtle sticks and woodland scenics fine leaf foliage. I have about 14, but I have a lit more materials left.  It's all about the layering.

I cannibalized some of the trees I made for my endor forest shelf diorama, but made them better. I drilled new holes, placed wire in the holes, then glued some poly fiber to the wire then spray glued the poly fiber and sprinkled static grass on it. I think they turned out pretty good.  So im going to finish making the smaller trees then work my way up to the larger ones.  I found a cardboard tube from a shrink wrap tube that will work great for a large redwood or Douglas fir. I'll probably buy a few shipping tubes, to make more. Ill show yall when the time comes.

Once all my trees are made I can make different bases and terrains using all of the materials on peices of foam board/Styrofoam/floral foam.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 08:12:22 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #694 on: March 16, 2022, 05:12:04 PM »
This is a great idea. I love the downed log - it looks great. I'll be watching with tremendous interest!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #695 on: March 16, 2022, 05:42:38 PM »
This is a great idea. I love the downed log - it looks great. I'll be watching with tremendous interest!

Thanks, the downed tree is from a pretty big wild grapevine i dug up a couple years ago. Most of the root system I used for the Dagobah dio, but I still had this part. I think I'll make it into a big root from a fallen tree or something.

I've been doing my best Bob Ross impersonation making happy little trees and bushes. Like I said just took some crepe Myrtle clippings and glued "Fine Leaf Foliage" to it. The PVA glue WS makes isn't that great, Gorilla woodglue is the greatest, I use it for almost everything.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 07:37:55 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #696 on: March 16, 2022, 09:15:08 PM »
Looking good so far. Thanks for the tip about Gorilla wood glue. I think the shrubs look great and the tube for a Redwood is a great idea (since the Endor stuff was filmed in Northern California among the Coastal Redwoods and Sequoia trees).

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #697 on: March 17, 2022, 03:05:45 AM »
Love the modular idea. Man, great work so far.

Off to share this on the front pages before the day's work gets me.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #698 on: March 17, 2022, 05:06:13 AM »
Looking good so far. Thanks for the tip about Gorilla wood glue. I think the shrubs look great and the tube for a Redwood is a great idea (since the Endor stuff was filmed in Northern California among the Coastal Redwoods and Sequoia trees).

Thanks. That is on my bucket list, go to Humboldt County CA, and visit Endor, pick up a bunch of forest litter and make an endor forest out of the endor forest.  That would be at least a 3 day drive, if I can drive my best of 800 miles a day.  Only problem is the actual filming location is privately owned, by a logging company, so I don't think they take kindly to star wars fans coming in there playing scout trooper.

Love the modular idea. Man, great work so far.

Off to share this on the front pages before the day's work gets me.

Thank you! It's gonna rain all day, so ill probably chill today, but this weekend will be nice. I do most of my dio building outside. Less mess and I use a lot of Aerosol paint and glue.  I might drill out some more trees, get them ready for paint and glue.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #699 on: March 17, 2022, 01:09:47 PM »

Thanks. That is on my bucket list, go to Humboldt County CA, and visit Endor, pick up a bunch of forest litter and make an endor forest out of the endor forest.  That would be at least a 3 day drive, if I can drive my best of 800 miles a day.  Only problem is the actual filming location is privately owned, by a logging company, so I don't think they take kindly to star wars fans coming in there playing scout trooper.

Its a beautiful spot. Living on the West Coast, my wife have visited the national forests there a couple of times and, in fact, planted a Sequoia seedling purchased there in our backyard a number of years ago (they grow quickly). I've been happy to call Redwood National Park "good enough" for my purposes.  :)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #700 on: March 17, 2022, 08:23:13 PM »

Its a beautiful spot. Living on the West Coast, my wife have visited the national forests there a couple of times and, in fact, planted a Sequoia seedling purchased there in our backyard a number of years ago (they grow quickly). I've been happy to call Redwood National Park "good enough" for my purposes.  :)

Thats cool! The city planted a bunch of Redwoods along the sidewalk outside of this elementary school i deliver to. In about 50 years it's probably going to totally destroy the sidewalk. They already have willow oaks planted out there and it's roots have made most of the sidewalks in Northside unusable. The stupidest thing is if someone busts their ass on the sidewalk in front of your house you are legally liable, so they're setting people up. But anyway, I sometimes collect the Redwood dead leaves and fallen sticks for my endor litter.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #701 on: March 17, 2022, 10:46:40 PM »

Thats cool! The city planted a bunch of Redwoods along the sidewalk outside of this elementary school i deliver to. In about 50 years it's probably going to totally destroy the sidewalk. They already have willow oaks planted out there and it's roots have made most of the sidewalks in Northside unusable. The stupidest thing is if someone busts their ass on the sidewalk in front of your house you are legally liable, so they're setting people up. But anyway, I sometimes collect the Redwood dead leaves and fallen sticks for my endor litter.

I concur, to make citizens liable for roots from city plantings is really pretty stupid. The root systems of Redwoods spread out too, but ours is deeper than the willows, alders and maples around our house. I had this funny picture earlier of gathering up the bark shed and leaves, packing them up in a box, and shipping them to you :)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #702 on: March 18, 2022, 03:19:18 AM »
I look forward to seeing what you do with this.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #703 on: March 18, 2022, 08:43:54 PM »
Love the Dagobah scene JD it has a lot of eerie atmosphere to it and I can't wait to see the Endor dio as you can tell by the tree's and foliage it's going to be an awesome dio.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #704 on: March 21, 2022, 06:31:57 AM »
Love the Dagobah scene JD it has a lot of eerie atmosphere to it and I can't wait to see the Endor dio as you can tell by the tree's and foliage it's going to be an awesome dio.

Ron

Thanks man! Yeah I need to find another wild grapevine and dig up the roots to make more Dagobah trees.

Yeah I made a few more smaller trees yesterday. Kind of a monotonous job of carving, painting gluing on moss and flocking. I think I'll start on the bigger trees for something different to do.  But once theyre all done then the majic happens.