Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137330 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #660 on: December 28, 2019, 05:21:38 PM »
It's looking great mate and love the eye's.

Ron
Thank you! I thought the eyes looked a little off. I took a little too much off. I need to touch up the paint, maybe I'll add a touch of putty.
JDeck, the eyes are looking really good. I like the idea of a "small" part of the scene, this is going to be cool!
Thank you Starchaser! I don't always uses 6" scale, but when I do, I keep it simple.
Now those are some cool eyes. Back to the front pages.
Thank you! I'm just waiting for some parts to come in. I don't want grass to grow under this project, I just want it to be a quick build.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #661 on: January 06, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »
I can only agree with previous comments! Love what you've done with Babu Frik and 3PO! Great work on the chair! Little Scene, great effect! I think I need to get to know more about Babu. Thanks for sharing!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #662 on: June 16, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »
I was kind of stuck on this Dagobah Camp Diorama. I ran out of foam board and I wasn't sure how to do the charging lantern or the lamp. I came across the Saga R2-D2, he came with a few camp accessories, including the charger. I was just going to hollow it out and use that, but it didn't work. Back to square one. I found a gel pen in the parking lot the other day. If you unscrew the point, the end of the tube is transparent and grooved. So I used that, along with a base and a top made from model kit parts. I might add some more details to it. Also wired up the lamp, using a Pico chip LED. It was super dooper bright. I covered the chip with a drop of glue and it was still bright, so I added some paint, except for the tip. now that I have foam board I can do some tree work and groundwork and that's it.

I made the trees. I used the Grapevine I pulled up several months ago. I like grapevine roots, they're pretty gnarly. I was going to make things really complicated and try to replicate the gnarltrees like in the movie, but keep it simple. I made the soil out of Coffee grounds, white glue, spackle, water, watercolors. It's still incredibly wet.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 07:24:33 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #663 on: June 17, 2020, 02:07:23 AM »
It was already awesome to read your description when I woke up this morning. But seeing the attached pictures now blows my mind! This is getting along excellently! The lamp looks gorgeous and the wood looks just perfect for Dagobah! You got me thrilled once more!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #664 on: June 17, 2020, 06:30:27 AM »
Wondered if you were working on this man. That light work is fantastic. Like the trees too.

Off to the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #665 on: June 17, 2020, 08:02:49 AM »
It was already awesome to read your description when I woke up this morning. But seeing the attached pictures now blows my mind! This is getting along excellently! The lamp looks gorgeous and the wood looks just perfect for Dagobah! You got me thrilled once more!

Thank you! I think with a little details, the lantern droid charger thing will look good. As is it gets the job done. Grapevine roots are great, I used  them on a few dioramas.

Wondered if you were working on this man. That light work is fantastic. Like the trees too.

Off to the front pages.

Thank you! Yeah it was just a matter of figuring out some of the details. Then when I bought a large sheet of blue foam for my spaceport project, I was good to go. I didn't want to buy a whole sheet for just one little diorama.

I pretty much finished the groundwork. I added some vines, and moss to the trees. The dead leaf litter was made using my leaf shaped hole punch and brown packing paper.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 08:05:00 AM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #666 on: June 17, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »
Brilliant! I love the hole punch idea, that's a great tip. It's amazing how helpful someone else's cadt - off can be. The whole diorama looks most excellent!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #667 on: June 18, 2020, 07:44:11 AM »
Man, I have those lines going through my head, "like were being watched!" I so love that scene with R2 and Yoda fighting over the light too. Great stuff.

Off to the front pages.

Offline Mos-Eisley-Customz

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #668 on: June 18, 2020, 10:59:25 AM »
This looks awesome, especially like the R2 with the light reflecting off him, top work  8)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #669 on: June 18, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »
Brilliant! I love the hole punch idea, that's a great tip. It's amazing how helpful someone else's cadt - off can be. The whole diorama looks most excellent!

Thank you! Yeah I was going to Walmart to pick up some supplies for this project and thought I'd get a gel pen, just to see if it would work and I found one in the parking lot. Just the right size, and it even has a slight tint, so the lantern isn't too bright. Could not have worked out better if I planned it.

Man, I have those lines going through my head, "like were being watched!" I so love that scene with R2 and Yoda fighting over the light too. Great stuff.

Off to the front pages.

Thank you. Yeah, Yoda's introduction scene is great. I've been tainted by the Star Wars parodies I watch on YouTube. I can't get the BLR seagulls song out of my head. There's another one where they edit the scene so when Yoda says "Feel Like What?" Luke turns around and shoots him, then says, "now all I have to do is find this Yoda."  Funny stuff. But it is a great scene.

This looks awesome, especially like the R2 with the light reflecting off him, top work  8)

Thank you. I think when I shoot the final pics I'll wait until dusk, so the LEDs will throw more light, then put on a blue filter.
Speaking of the lantern, I'm thinking they used a part of the Snowspeeder to make the top. So I used a 1/72 Snowspeeder part to make my top. Then added some rubber rods. Not perfect but better.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:15:56 PM by JDeck »

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #670 on: June 18, 2020, 02:25:24 PM »
This is awesome!

If you made the soil out of coffee grounds, does it still smell like coffee?  ;D

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #671 on: June 18, 2020, 05:28:26 PM »
This is awesome!

If you made the soil out of coffee grounds, does it still smell like coffee?  ;D

Thank you! Yeah it still has a very slight coffee smell, but it will dissipate in time. I used cinnamon once for color additive with Endor soil and it smelled like cinnamon for a long time. I've never once had anything mold, I guess enough glue keeps mold from forming.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #672 on: June 19, 2020, 06:58:02 AM »
That Lamp looks spot on to me. I like it. Off to the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #673 on: June 19, 2020, 06:16:14 PM »
That Lamp looks spot on to me. I like it. Off to the front pages.
Thank you. I like it when LFL recycles parts, it makes my work easier. I'm going to call it done. I just made some finishing touches, like mounting the switch and painting the boxes, stuff like that. I'll take some final pictures this weekend, with different scenes.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #674 on: June 20, 2020, 07:39:40 AM »
Sounds good to me. I hope you do the one with R2 and Yoda fighting over the light!