Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137347 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #615 on: November 13, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »
Here's a little update, I just want to show you guys how I'm building these huts. Once I built the frame I used a mixture of water and white glue, I dipped pieces tissue paper into the mixture, then laid them over the frame. I let it dry for a few hours, then painted them. I'm working on the roof right now. I got my bundle of straw and cut them into short pieces, then starting at the bottom glue them around. Then the second layer I do the same, but overlapping the bottom row. I'll just keep going around and up the roof until it's done. A bit time consuming but I think it'll pay off.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:32:07 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #616 on: November 14, 2019, 04:06:14 AM »
Nice, this is really coming along nicely now. Off to the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #617 on: November 14, 2019, 07:59:54 AM »
Nice, this is really coming along nicely now. Off to the front pages.
Thank you Tamer. I'll definitely have it done by Thanksgiving. Just finish the huts, by then my LEDs will be here, then build the railings/torches, steps, firepit, that's it. I tried to get a guy to make a custom backdrop, but he said he can't. So on to plan B.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #618 on: November 19, 2019, 01:50:00 AM »
Really like this. Cannot wait to see it finished / populated.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #619 on: November 19, 2019, 11:11:46 PM »
Really like this. Cannot wait to see it finished / populated.
Yeesss.
Soon it will be complete according to my design. Probably next week. Maybe. Or something like that.  Out there on the sanctuary moon there is an entire legion of Ewoks ready to inhabit the village. Oohh I an afraid the Ewoks will be quite happy with their new home when you arrive. Hehehe.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #620 on: November 25, 2019, 10:02:15 PM »
I was going to wait until I'm finished to update, but screw it I'll show you what I'm working on. 

The torches are made of plastic tubing wrapped in brown paper, with twine wrapped around that, with a flickering orange LED. Then of course a cotton flame.

The roof is made of straw I found on a decorative landscaping grass.

The bonfire is made of "Fire" LEDs by Evan's Design. It's basically flashing red, orange and yellow 5mm bulbs.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:12:07 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #621 on: November 26, 2019, 04:55:10 AM »
Seeing this progress warms up my heart. The flame effects look superb! Thanks for sharing the "secret progress". Looking forward to the reveal of this stealth project!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #622 on: November 26, 2019, 06:52:35 AM »
Seeing this progress warms up my heart. The flame effects look superb! Thanks for sharing the "secret progress". Looking forward to the reveal of this stealth project!
Thank you. It's just a matter of fiddling with the cotton to get it to look good. I'm not trying to be clandestine, I don't think anyone wants to see glue drying. Most of my parts are in modular pieces, so I can work on them easier. The whole thing is in shambles right now, and there's straw everywhere, it's a beautiful mess. I haven't been real diligent the last few days, but it should still be done soon. The roofing was the most time consuming, I glue a segment then wait for it to dry. I used gorilla wood glue, because it's awesome, and it dries in a Woody color. Hot glue would have been a hot mess, with boogers and strings all over the roof and I wouldn't have any fingerprints left.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:03:00 AM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #623 on: November 27, 2019, 03:41:14 PM »
I declared the day before Thanksgiving to be Ewok Wednesdayay. In the spirit of the holiday, I will reveal the Ewok Village. I'm not 100% finished. I hit a snag with the wiring. Evidently I had too many bulbs, and the 9v battery couldn't light them all. So for the left side hut I'm just going to use a cheap electronic tea light. Also I need to glue down all the different floor sections to the base, now that all of the Fab is done. But this is what I have. I'm still waiting for a backdrop too, so it's still on the bench. I'm going to spend the rest of Ewok Wednesday watching Ewok movies and drinking Moscow mules. Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow to all, even you non Americans.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:11:18 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #624 on: November 28, 2019, 01:06:36 AM »
Looks fantastic, JD!!  :o It makes sense that the Ewoks fixed their platforms with clay. The gaps would fill up with mud over time anyway. The lighting effects look excellent as said before! Your idea made me add one more detail on my list for the lake dio, too!
It's good to see that you have some time to relax over the holday! Fancy mug by the way!
Happy Thanksgiving to you all! I hope you're all doing well! I need to take an exam tomorrow, so I don't really have the nerves to relax. Just wanted to come by and check out your progress very quick ;)
By the way we also celebrate Thanksgiving here in Europe. In German we call it "Erntedankfest".

Cheers & niubniub!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #625 on: November 28, 2019, 04:39:59 AM »
Looks fantastic, JD!!  :o It makes sense that the Ewoks fixed their platforms with clay. The gaps would fill up with mud over time anyway. The lighting effects look excellent as said before! Your idea made me add one more detail on my list for the lake dio, too!
It's good to see that you have some time to relax over the holday! Fancy mug by the way!
Happy Thanksgiving to you all! I hope you're all doing well! I need to take an exam tomorrow, so I don't really have the nerves to relax. Just wanted to come by and check out your progress very quick ;)
By the way we also celebrate Thanksgiving here in Europe. In German we call it "Erntedankfest".

Cheers & niubniub!
Thank you DM! I actually have two days off in a row, that never happens. In fact I'm taking the entire day off, no business related work today. I'll work for maybe an hour tomorrow, but that's all. You can't have a Moscow mule without the copper mug, it's essential.
I can't wait to see your Ewok lake house, I'm a big fan of McQuarrie concepts.
I hope your exam will go well, I'm certain it will. Happy belated Erntedankfest.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 05:33:43 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #626 on: November 29, 2019, 10:41:18 AM »
Now this is a holiday I can get behind. Looks great. Off to share.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #627 on: November 29, 2019, 03:00:36 PM »
Wow! I'm super jealous. That's amazing!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #628 on: November 29, 2019, 06:12:37 PM »
Now this is a holiday I can get behind. Looks great. Off to share.
Thank you Tamer! I can't wait to get a backdrop for it. Hopefully it will be soon.

Wow! I'm super jealous. That's amazing!
Thank you Chuck! I have been wanting to build an Ewok village for many years. It wasn't really difficult, but just a lot of work. Once I get it placed in the shelf and get a backdrop it's going to be awesome.

I can't wait to get started on Dagobah. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do. I'd like to incorporate different scenes into one dio.  I got the AMT Encounter with Yoda on Dagobah kit. It's roughly 3.75 scale, needs modifications, but it's a good starting point. I dug up the wild grape vine, to use the roots for some of the groundwork.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 06:14:10 PM by JDeck »

Offline customjedi

• Commander
    • Customjedi on Facebook
« Reply #629 on: November 29, 2019, 06:30:55 PM »
That’s amazing.  I’m speechless 😶
I dabble in the Star Wars Universe of Toys... I rip apart little plastic people and turn them into other plastic people. Sometimes I take pictures of them and post them.

Customjedi on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/customjedi