Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137304 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #600 on: November 06, 2019, 04:01:32 AM »
Hey thanks for the link to the sticks. Time to go share that.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #601 on: November 07, 2019, 11:44:15 AM »
Thank you Philip. I just get the reference pics from Google, you just have to get the exact wording right to find what you're looking for. Like Return of the Jedi Ewok village movie set, or production, I forget what I used. I ended up finding some really interesting pictures of the set and set construction.
I look forward to seeing your Endor diorama, you have my curiosity now.

Thank you JD! This link to Amazon is very helpful! I'll definitely use similar sticks, too! I'll probably get them at my local pet shop, though. (Sorry Amazon.)

Well, you got me. Don't want to be a fool and let you wait 'til the end of time. That's just not fun.
So I made a quick setup for you to show the general idea and approximate dimensions (60x50 cm) and took a couple quick shots with my phone.
This idea is from October 27, 2016. And I don't know when I'll start/finish it because it involves quite a bit of epoxy resin...

Three years ago I watched my brother play EA's SW Battlefront. I was especially amazed by the map of Endor. And the idea of making "peaceful" scenes came to mind. No war.
This diorama is to be set before the Empire...before the dark times, before the war began to rage on Endor...

Lakes of Endor:

This project is going to involve one of those towers/tents/tippis and a boat, a fishing-rod & net and some fish...

Apparently the tent will be much bigger than in my draft. It will also have one level above the water to save the fish and maybe to live. I'm looking forward to making the docks, but I might leave them out so that the tent is just accessable by boat...

If you don't mind the pictures, I can remove them any time!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:32:28 AM by Darth More »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #602 on: November 07, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
Awesome! Yeah, I've seen those concept pictures, evidently the Ewoks were going to live in a lake house. That'll be really cool.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #603 on: November 07, 2019, 03:56:31 PM »
Construction Is well underway, the second level is just about complete. I had to cut down my trees, because I'm going to fit this whole display in a bookshelf, so you get to see a cross section of the tree. I went to the hobby shop to get the materials needed for the huts, also I grabbed up some dead stalks from a decorative grass of some kind, for the  thatched roof, so that'll happen soon enough.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 08:51:58 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #604 on: November 08, 2019, 01:35:54 AM »
Ah, these pictures are pure enlightment, JD! Looks like your Ewoks build their village themselves...and their huts will look amazing! The material you got is of the finest quality! I'm thrilled for this project and you lit me on fire - I need to go to the construction market this weekend to get some wood for the base plate...
Thanks for the update and the hint for reference pictures! Awesome work there!

- Philipp

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #605 on: November 08, 2019, 04:20:46 AM »
That just looks sweet. Nice.

Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #606 on: November 09, 2019, 11:01:52 PM »
Damn JD, this is looking awesome buddy.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #607 on: November 10, 2019, 04:53:41 PM »
Ah, these pictures are pure enlightment, JD! Looks like your Ewoks build their village themselves...and their huts will look amazing! The material you got is of the finest quality! I'm thrilled for this project and you lit me on fire - I need to go to the construction market this weekend to get some wood for the base plate...
Thanks for the update and the hint for reference pictures! Awesome work there!

- Philipp
Thank you. I'm glad I could inspire.
That just looks sweet. Nice.

Off to share.
Thank you Tamer. On a side note, the next time you're in Richmond, there's a place called Beer is the Answer, AKA Answer brewpub. It has over 160 craft beers, many made on location. If you like Vietnamese food, Mekong is next door, they have a ton of beers too. If you like Mexican there's a real authentic Mexican restaurant across the street, with about a dozen imported beers from Mexico and central America, many I've never heard of.

Damn JD, this is looking awesome buddy.

Ron
Thank you Ron. It's coming along. I've been thinking this project through for many years, and it's really coming together.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #608 on: November 10, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »
Okay, so I started on the huts. Currently I'm working on the secondary hut. I built the frame up using polystyrene rods and hot glue. I started using styrene cement, but it works too slowly, and doesn't hold the pressures of the bent rods as well as I'd like, because I'm super impatient.  Anyway, it's the frame, it's not perfect, but it'll do.
Also here's a sneak peak WIP custom Ewok I have in the works. He's gonna be the Rambo of Ewoks.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:37:25 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #609 on: November 10, 2019, 05:51:34 PM »
The structure is looking awesome JD and that Ewok and custom E-11 look fantastic.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #610 on: November 11, 2019, 08:24:50 AM »
Great projects on both fronts. Off to the front pages.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #611 on: November 11, 2019, 05:57:41 PM »
Love the custom blaster!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #612 on: November 11, 2019, 08:04:17 PM »
The structure is looking awesome JD and that Ewok and custom E-11 look fantastic.

Ron
Thank you. Yeah the hut came out pretty much as expected. Now I know what to do different for the primary hut. I'm eager to see how it looks when I cover it.
Great projects on both fronts. Off to the front pages.
Thank you Tamer. Didn't get anything done tonight, I fell asleep after work, now I have to go to bed.
Love the custom blaster!

Thank you. I dubbed it the E'wok-11, it's a blaster, spear and club all in one.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #613 on: November 11, 2019, 11:01:39 PM »
I love that construction Ewok - maybe a hard-hat is in order (or a Stormtrooper helmet) :) I am impressed that you are building the huts from the ground up. Those frames look really good. I'm looking forward to the final product, but I really appreciate the WIPs along the way.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #614 on: November 12, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
I love that construction Ewok - maybe a hard-hat is in order (or a Stormtrooper helmet) :) I am impressed that you are building the huts from the ground up. Those frames look really good. I'm looking forward to the final product, but I really appreciate the WIPs along the way.
Thank you Starchaser. Yeah everything so far is scratch built. Just the way the Ewoks would want it. I actually have some experience building primitive structures. I built this kid a fort, using nothing but Paracord and a knife. I thatched a roof using pine saplings. It looked like a big green igloo. It was actually weather proof, during a heavy rain it stayed dry inside. Anyway I'm going to use the same technique for the hut roof. I think it'll look more authentic than glueing straw that runs the whole length of the roof. We'll see how it looks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:06:34 AM by JDeck »