Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137312 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #585 on: October 31, 2019, 07:01:26 AM »
Now I like your Thanksgiving Tradition. Mine usually involves a new craft beer (anything but pumpkin), but I like your idea. Off to share your great new project. I like the work so far!
Thank you Tamer. I heard that on pumpkin beer. Dude, here in Richmond there are a TON of micro breweries. If you go downtown, all the bars are nothing but craft beers. Scott's addition, used to be an industrial ghost town, but now, nothing but breweries. You can't find a PBR for miles lol.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 10:13:59 AM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #586 on: October 31, 2019, 01:21:19 PM »
That tree trunk looks awesome! Can't wait to see the whole thing done.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #587 on: October 31, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »
Thank you Ron. At the moment I'm stuck on how I want to run the wires. It's difficult to place the dome assembly to the base/ lightbulb. I'll figure it out.

My pleasure buddy and are you having the shield attached to the base? if you are you could run the wires down thru the base so that they will be hidden.

The tree is looking awesome I'm really looking forward to seeing it when it's completed.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #588 on: November 03, 2019, 05:28:26 PM »
Thank you Ron. At the moment I'm stuck on how I want to run the wires. It's difficult to place the dome assembly to the base/ lightbulb. I'll figure it out.

My pleasure buddy and are you having the shield attached to the base? if you are you could run the wires down thru the base so that they will be hidden.

The tree is looking awesome I'm really looking forward to seeing it when it's completed.

Ron
I figured it out. I'm going to do the groundwork figures etc. Then glue the bulb to the bottom of the generator, while keeping the wires loose. Then when placing the shield, pull the wires through the base. Done deal.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #589 on: November 03, 2019, 05:29:17 PM »
That tree trunk looks awesome! Can't wait to see the whole thing done.
Thank you Starchaser. It's coming along little by little.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #590 on: November 03, 2019, 05:37:01 PM »
   I started working on the main floor. I just hot glued the sticks to the piece of foam core. From the set references, it looks like they used some kind of mud on the wood flooring, I guess to blend and fill in gaps. So I made up a mud mixture made of water, spackle, leftover homemade dirt, from my l'ameu diorama, and some black/grey paint. I slathered it around. It's still wet as of now. We'll see how it looks when it dries. It's great because the figures will be able to stand better.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:46:03 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #591 on: November 04, 2019, 04:04:40 AM »
Looks spot on with that reference image. Off to share the update. Real materials equals real looking stuff imo.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #592 on: November 04, 2019, 05:45:26 AM »
Wow. You're really putting in the work on that Ewok village. Looks amazing! I can't wait to see that thing finished!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #593 on: November 04, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »
That's a great reference shot! The floor looks really good, and seems to match the reference picture quite well. I think your right about helping figures stand up as well. This is going to be most excellent.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #594 on: November 04, 2019, 05:44:28 PM »
Looks spot on with that reference image. Off to share the update. Real materials equals real looking stuff imo.
Thank you. That's true, I was going to use dowel rods, but these sticks look better, most of them are straight enough.
Wow. You're really putting in the work on that Ewok village. Looks amazing! I can't wait to see that thing finished!
Thank you. I'm aiming to have it done by Thanksgiving. I just have to do the flooring on the second level, build the huts and I want to add some lighting torches and a fire pit.

That's a great reference shot! The floor looks really good, and seems to match the reference picture quite well. I think your right about helping figures stand up as well. This is going to be most excellent.
Thank you. The great thing about Ewoks, they have a low center of gravity and they have a wide stance, I rarely need stands for them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:24:47 PM by JDeck »

Online Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #595 on: November 05, 2019, 03:38:43 AM »
Sorry for my late comment, JD! It's always fascinating where you find all these reference pictures I'd have never seen without you! That shield with lighting above the generator for your LEGION figures looks spot on! What a fantastic idea! It's always great to see some dedication to videogames!

Your current Endor project is looking great so far! An Ewok village is probably the perfect place to display all your Ewoks!
I also got another big endor diorama in the pipeline, but I won't spoil anything, yet. If you explored the map of Endor in EA's Battlefront you've prbably seen the place I have in mind.
Awesome progress so far! I really dig such excellent ideas!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #596 on: November 05, 2019, 04:00:32 AM »
I was wondering how you found such straight sticks. Was it a particular wood or just walking through and area with some trees and picking as straight a stick as possible?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #597 on: November 05, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
Sorry for my late comment, JD! It's always fascinating where you find all these reference pictures I'd have never seen without you! That shield with lighting above the generator for your LEGION figures looks spot on! What a fantastic idea! It's always great to see some dedication to videogames!

Your current Endor project is looking great so far! An Ewok village is probably the perfect place to display all your Ewoks!
I also got another big endor diorama in the pipeline, but I won't spoil anything, yet. If you explored the map of Endor in EA's Battlefront you've prbably seen the place I have in mind.
Awesome progress so far! I really dig such excellent ideas!
Thank you Philip. I just get the reference pics from Google, you just have to get the exact wording right to find what you're looking for. Like Return of the Jedi Ewok village movie set, or production, I forget what I used. I ended up finding some really interesting pictures of the set and set construction.

I look forward to seeing your Endor diorama, you have my curiosity now.
I was wondering how you found such straight sticks. Was it a particular wood or just walking through and area with some trees and picking as straight a stick as possible?
Actually I bought them on Amazon. I know it sounds stupid to buy sticks, but they're pre cut to 5" and most of them are pretty straight. I ended up getting 500 of them. Lol. Sounds like a lot, but I think it'll be just enough to finish it. I have no idea what kind of wood it is, I'm guessing Maple, or it could be dyed oak.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:50:16 AM by JDeck »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #598 on: November 05, 2019, 09:36:44 AM »
Looks great so far.
I have a small army of furballs too and someday, I’d like to make a village.
What kind of sticks are you using?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #599 on: November 05, 2019, 10:20:40 AM »
Looks great so far.
I have a small army of furballs too and someday, I’d like to make a village.
What kind of sticks are you using?
Thank you.  Definitely, you should.  The only challenge I see, are the huts, but I've got a good plan on how to make them, I'll start that next week.
200pcs 5 Inch Long 0.1-0.2 Inch in Diameter Wood Log Sticks Twigs for Crafts Photo Props by HANBEN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P1WSVW1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_X1AWDbJ3CM2TH
Here's the link. They're just natural wood sticks, cut to 5". I got 400 of these and 100 of the 4".
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:56:30 AM by Tamer »