Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137322 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #540 on: September 14, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »
That is a brilliant little dio JD.
I love the realistic vegetation.
Excellent work.
Thank ya sir. I got the plants at the pet store believe it or not. I barely painted them, just toned down the brightness.
JDeck, Scarif turned out really great! I thought the "log" the trooper was stepping on was a great touch. Your squad leader turned out really well, too. Sometimes getting the right part off another figure can be a real pain (literally). Sometimes I wrap a key finger ( often the left thumb) in duct tape to protect it when cutting - I've wondered about a thimble. :)

Really fabulous job putting the scene together.

Thank you. That log, came inside a box of reptile moss. It looks exactly like a decaying log, scaled down. I have no idea what kind of plant it's from, but it's not exactly wood. I don't know what it is. I wish I did, I'd get more.
I agree it turned out great. Off to share this.
Thank you! Here's the mock-up on my next project. Death Troopers on Lah'mu. The black rocks are lump charcoal. I'll start tomorrow. A friend wants to go out, and I kind of owe her one for missing the Taco Festival. Otherwise I'd start now.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:05:08 PM by JDeck »

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #541 on: September 14, 2019, 04:45:20 PM »
Looks great!!!! I love the DEATHTROOPERS never thought I would (original leaked photos were sooo poor it looked like just a black stormtrooper...) This dio looks perfect with the figures!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #542 on: September 15, 2019, 05:03:53 AM »
Cool deal already onto the next project. Off to share.

Can't believe you missed the Taco Festival!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #543 on: September 15, 2019, 06:04:18 AM »
Looks great!!!! I love the DEATHTROOPERS never thought I would (original leaked photos were sooo poor it looked like just a black stormtrooper...) This dio looks perfect with the figures!
Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, the Death Troopers reminded me of Spy vs Spy from the MAD comics. I wasn't thrilled, but it's definitely grown on me.
Cool deal already onto the next project. Off to share.

Can't believe you missed the Taco Festival!
Thank you Tamer. Yeah I missed the Taco Festival because I was having a diverticulitis flare up, and the last thing I wanted was a bunch of tacos and walking around. I had been planning to go for weeks and months. Next year.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #544 on: September 15, 2019, 06:36:19 PM »
That's a great start. Looking forward to how this one develops. Sorry to hear about the diverticulitis, bummer.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #545 on: September 16, 2019, 02:50:08 AM »
Crazy, I have that same dreaded condition. Had to give up a lot of the foods I love. Anything with seeds. The latest food I had to give up was tomatoes.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #546 on: September 16, 2019, 05:08:35 AM »
Looks great JD.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #547 on: September 16, 2019, 03:31:11 PM »
That's a great start. Looking forward to how this one develops. Sorry to hear about the diverticulitis, bummer.
Yeah it won't take long. I'll have it done soon. It is what it is, you know?
Crazy, I have that same dreaded condition. Had to give up a lot of the foods I love. Anything with seeds. The latest food I had to give up was tomatoes.
Yeah man that sucks. With me, I don't really bother with a diet. I figure I'm gonna get an occasional flare up regardless of what I eat. I can eat seeds and stuff I shouldn't and be fine, but then eat something benign, and get a flare up. I just get it twice a year, and it's gone in three days.

Looks great JD.

Ron
Thank you. I should be done soon. I just had a crazy last couple of days.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #548 on: September 16, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »
I got a little bit of work done today. The last couple of days have been weird, I'm not real sure if I'm lucky or cursed. Like today I hit a cop car, in my work truck. He ran a red light with no lights or siren. I didn't get charged, but I needed to calm my nerves when I got home, that's for sure.  Happy freggin birthday to me. Lol.

I got the base cut out and painted, and I applied the base groundwork. The soil is made of a mixture of Coffee grounds and sand mixed with white glue and a little water.  Then as it's still wet, I placed my "rocks" where I wanted them, then I sprinkled on some Woodland scenics fine cinder.  I'll let that dry. I'll work on the finer details tomorrow. Then that's it really. I'll use the scewer technique for placing the figures.

Eh I figured I'd place some of my army painter swamp tufts, while the base was still wet. Also I added some grey washes to the rocks. They're charcoal, and just like activated charcoal, used in water purification, it's very absorbent, so I'll probably have to go over it several times.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:18:28 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #549 on: September 17, 2019, 12:23:46 AM »
Now that it's out of the box it looks excellent JD the whole thing looks very realistic and Happy Bday mate.

Ron

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:18:41 AM by hemble »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #550 on: September 17, 2019, 02:53:58 AM »
Well you had a wild day thats for sure. Happy Birthday.

Your dio looks great. Spot on. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #551 on: September 17, 2019, 06:41:13 AM »
Now that it's out of the box it looks excellent JD the whole thing looks very realistic and Happy Bday mate.

Ron
Thank you Ron. I put my coffee grounds and sand in the model kit box to dry. It's not really necessary, but sometimes I like to sprinkle some dry mix on the finished product. And yeah I always say it's just another day, not this year. Lol.

Well you had a wild day thats for sure. Happy Birthday.

Your dio looks great. Spot on. Off to share.

Thank you Tamer. A hundred bad days make a hundred good stories.
Yeah I think it's turning out really cool. It'll look good with some Death troopers.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #552 on: September 17, 2019, 11:45:30 PM »
The landscape is looking really excellent. Great job combining elements to produce the effect you are looking for. This is going to look amazing when you're done, and it's populated.

Happy birthday, BTW

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #553 on: September 18, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
The landscape is looking really excellent. Great job combining elements to produce the effect you are looking for. This is going to look amazing when you're done, and it's populated.

Happy birthday, BTW
Thank you Starchaser. Lah'mu is cool, because the colors compliment the Death troopers, with the black and green accents. I wanted to really incorporate that. Sort of a bleak Rocky dark terrain with the only vegetation is the lichen.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #554 on: September 18, 2019, 10:45:03 AM »
I'm going to call this one done. I just added a few small details. I used scewers again for the foot holes, they fit perfectly, but I glued them inside. Then I just stuck it in where I wanted it.

My take away on this project is, lump charcoal makes for really cool shale type rocks. I can paint them or drybrush or watercolor them. It's great because I still have a 30lb bag I haven't used this year, because it's been so hot. I don't have anything specific in mind for my next project, so I guess I'll go back to Endor.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:58:56 AM by JDeck »