Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137322 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #510 on: September 08, 2019, 10:01:02 PM »
I really like how diorama turned out.  Great composition, and the it looks very real. I enjoyed the pictures with the troopers in the scene. I love that you experimented with the clay process. I agree with you about foam board, I don't enjoy carving it unless its with a heat knife, but there's some serious limitations with that process.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #511 on: September 09, 2019, 02:16:05 AM »
Wow that turned out nice. I like it. You could even get some 12 guage wire (think that is the right size) to make a peg or two for your action figures if you don't like the stands, but they don't detract from it at all imo. Off to share.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #512 on: September 09, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »
Fantastic work! Looks straight out of Rogue One's last ground battle scene on Scariff.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #513 on: September 09, 2019, 02:39:44 PM »
I really like how diorama turned out.  Great composition, and the it looks very real. I enjoyed the pictures with the troopers in the scene. I love that you experimented with the clay process. I agree with you about foam board, I don't enjoy carving it unless its with a heat knife, but there's some serious limitations with that process.
Thank you. Yeah basically my extent to sculpting foam board, is running a lighter across it. Lol. I'll get a basic shape, then add some kind of surface to it.
Wow that turned out nice. I like it. You could even get some 12 guage wire (think that is the right size) to make a peg or two for your action figures if you don't like the stands, but they don't detract from it at all imo. Off to share.
Thank you. I might have some brass rods that would work, but I like being able to move the figures around a little. I'll see what I have, if I got it, great, if not, no biggie.
Fantastic work! Looks straight out of Rogue One's last ground battle scene on Scariff.
Thank you. You know, that gives me an idea. I should build a scarif trooper diorama. Maybe not as large, or as many figures, but that would be cool.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:33:26 PM by JDeck »

Offline DS-61-22

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #514 on: September 09, 2019, 02:58:35 PM »
Looks amazing, almost like a image captured in time 10/10

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #515 on: September 09, 2019, 05:31:34 PM »
Looks amazing, almost like a image captured in time 10/10
Thank you. That's what I was hoping for. I have my static, at attention army build, which I also like, but I wanted to use the articulation, and make something I've been wanting to for a long time.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #516 on: September 09, 2019, 08:24:39 PM »
Wow that's really amazing how it worked out. I really wish (begging aside) that Hasbro would've made products like your dio. Those WalMart cases scream disneySW production value (I mean that as a compliment... Look at how cobbled rouge one was designed). Your creations are VERY spot in SW style

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #517 on: September 10, 2019, 02:36:49 AM »
Great idea on your Scarif Dio too. Still, its gonna take you awhile to beat this Stormtrooper Diorama. I could so see you getting your other squad in (one on order from Dorkside) and then doing something even more massive. Heck you could even make a second dio that would sort of attach to this one. I know you had a heck of a time with the flooring on this one, but man it really works well for this.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #518 on: September 10, 2019, 03:59:57 AM »
Damn this Scarif dio is going to be great and can't wait to see it completed.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #519 on: September 10, 2019, 07:48:02 AM »
Wow that's really amazing how it worked out. I really wish (begging aside) that Hasbro would've made products like your dio. Those WalMart cases scream disneySW production value (I mean that as a compliment... Look at how cobbled rouge one was designed). Your creations are VERY spot in SW style
Thank you. I enjoy piecing together parts, to make Star Wars things. I've always found it fascinating how they make props out of, junk, basically.

Great idea on your Scarif Dio too. Still, its gonna take you awhile to beat this Stormtrooper Diorama. I could so see you getting your other squad in (one on order from Dorkside) and then doing something even more massive. Heck you could even make a second dio that would sort of attach to this one. I know you had a heck of a time with the flooring on this one, but man it really works well for this.

Thank you, the Stormtrooper diorama is unusual for me, I like to keep my dioramas within a square foot, that was 16", which isn't much bigger, but I'm trying now to find a place for it. That's why I made a defensive scene, it's not so spread out.  The scarif diorama, will be around 6 square inches, small enough I can almost put it anywhere, even the bathroom lol.  And it will be quick, a few days max, and I already have everything I need. I might make a squad leader and Captain.
Damn this Scarif dio is going to be great and can't wait to see it completed.

Ron
Thank you, it's just a mock-up I made spur of the moment, they just need guns though, right now it's like the ET special edition, where they replaced guns with walkie talkies. Lol.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:55:58 AM by JDeck »

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #520 on: September 10, 2019, 07:10:00 PM »
... For the Scarif dio you could do the ditch of Baze's last stand and build removable background of the "front door" of the base. So that way it can be anything.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #521 on: September 10, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »
... For the Scarif dio you could do the ditch of Baze's last stand and build removable background of the "front door" of the base. So that way it can be anything.
I could, however I'd like to have a "super articulated"  Baze.   I can't even make the Scarif Troopers kneel , in a prone position, because of the figure's lack of range of motion.  I'm gonna have to build a lot of figures, to pull this off. Lol.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #522 on: September 11, 2019, 12:28:11 PM »
I started the groundwork, I used my Scarif jungle soil mix I made of Coffee grounds, tea leaves, crushed chopped leaves, sand and other stuff. I mixed that with white glue, spread it and added some of my jungle plants. Then I added my grass plants. Good thing about using coffee and tea, it's self painting. The coffee stains the glue, sand, leaves or whatever you mix in with it when wet.
I might paint the plants, to tone down the funkiness.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:33:30 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #523 on: September 11, 2019, 07:46:33 PM »
I'm almost finished with the diorama part. I just added a few little details, painted the plants a little. The colors look a bit funky because the lighting in my hobby room is, well, funky. Anyhows, I just need to address the figures. I have a couple of E-22s coming Friday. I can't for the life of me, figure out why Hasbro didn't pack in an E-22 for this figure, instead an E-11. I attached the figures to the base by cutting the ends off of scewers, glueing them into the foot holes and poking the scewer into the base.  I want to make a squad leader, maybe a captain too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:58:23 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #524 on: September 11, 2019, 11:53:06 PM »
Well, did I miss anything? WOW JD! Both dioramas look superb! The imperial base brings some EA Battlefront vibes! The barrels and containers look awesome next to your garrison of ultimate Stormtroopers!
And I just love that concept art of Scarif! Those plants look amazing all together. 10/10 for both!

Add: You gotta have a patent on your ground mixtures. Looks like a perfect mix!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:54:52 PM by Darth More »