Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 137323 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #480 on: August 28, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »
Wow, you’re on fire JD! That layout brings some Battlefront nostalgia - especially the FX7 Medical and GONK Droids!
Can’t wait to see the progress of this project! And I think I need to visit those 3 dollar stores around me tomorrow - I’ll do a report, too.
Let’s see what we got on shelves here in Germany. You really get my imagination back to work, JD! Thank you for that!
I also hope, you didn’t spend a fortune on those lip stick cans - they look awesome as gas tanks though!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #481 on: August 28, 2019, 10:05:53 AM »
Wow, you’re on fire JD! That layout brings some Battlefront nostalgia - especially the FX7 Medical and GONK Droids!
Can’t wait to see the progress of this project! And I think I need to visit those 3 dollar stores around me tomorrow - I’ll do a report, too.
Let’s see what we got on shelves here in Germany. You really get my imagination back to work, JD! Thank you for that!
I also hope, you didn’t spend a fortune on those lip stick cans - they look awesome as gas tanks though!
Thanks bud! That's what I was going for with the medical and Gonk droids. Years ago I made a "Command Post" out of an old watch and LEDs. I want to revisit that, and make another one.
    The lipstick things were around $4usd, and you get 6 canisters. It's more than I'd like to pay for them, but it adds a little more to the Dio. (The idea is for an imperial supply Depot, of some kind, or a freighter dock). The problematic thing is taking the stickers/glue off. Maybe if I had "Goof-off" it would have been easier. So I just painted, and weathered them. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 07:47:18 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #482 on: August 29, 2019, 03:57:05 AM »
I agree, smoking! Looks fantastic. Man those new crates are awesome too. Keep it coming! Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #483 on: August 29, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »
I agree, smoking! Looks fantastic. Man those new crates are awesome too. Keep it coming! Off to share.
Thank you Tamer! I've been wanting to build a Dio like this for years, just been waiting for the definitive trooper. That look good, and have the articulation needed to position them in action poses. Also I enjoy repurposing everyday items into diorama accessories. That's fun to me.  And my DS order got pushed back to October, which I'm hoping to move by then. I'm glad I bought the case on eBay, I'd be up the walls by now.  Lol speaking of driving up the walls. A Squirrel got in my warehouse, and I can't get him out. I did manage to piss him off real good.  That I can do. I'm good with people and animals that way. Lol.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 03:59:06 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #484 on: August 29, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »
Mate this is looking awesome and the positioning of the equipment and poses of the figures is excellent.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #485 on: August 30, 2019, 05:27:29 AM »
LOL! Too bad we didn't live closer we could hang out regularly. I am about the same with animals and people. Let us know how it works out!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #486 on: August 30, 2019, 07:48:34 AM »
Mate this is looking awesome and the positioning of the equipment and poses of the figures is excellent.

Ron
Thank you! They're pretty great figures. I still don't know if I should build a wall, as a backdrop. I'll get the flooring done soon.  I'm gonna try a new technique, that might work, or might not.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #487 on: August 30, 2019, 08:21:02 AM »
LOL! Too bad we didn't live closer we could hang out regularly. I am about the same with animals and people. Let us know how it works out!
Yeah it's too bad. I think the squirrel is gone now. I left the bay doors open for a couple of hours, and when I came back he was gone. This happens from time to time, but I never had one stand his ground like that. Usually they just run around until they run out the door. I got in at about 5am, he saw me and darted up the wall, made it half way, then fell, then he finally made it to the rafters.   I tried to nudge him with the pole I use to open the doors, and he started growling and squeaking at me. Lol he wouldn't move, as long as I was still around. I thought he was stuck, because, when I got back from my deliveries at 3pm,  he was still hunkered down. But he's gone now.  I did do one smart thing, I poured my cooler water outside the open door, maybe he was thirsty. Water is scarce in the warehouse.

Last year I had a rabbit get in there, he stayed for several days and did hundreds of dollars worth of damage to my product. One day I was unloading my truck, and I saw something in my crate move, there he was. So I encouraged him to leave. LOL.  I get birds mostly, they're easy, to get rid of.  Thank God, I've never had a skunk get in there, that would not be good for business in the least bit. That would probably ruin thousands of dollars worth of product if it sprayed. Knock on freggin wood!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:25:34 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #488 on: August 30, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »

Ron
Thank you! They're pretty great figures. I still don't know if I should build a wall, as a backdrop. I'll get the flooring done soon.  I'm gonna try a new technique, that might work, or might not.

As you said do the floor first then go from there as sometimes just the ground work with the equipment and figures is all you need to make a display/dio look great.

Ron

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #489 on: August 31, 2019, 05:06:24 AM »
I find your WIP very inspiring and took this occasion to sum it all up on this topic:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10416.msg213074#msg213074

Thanks again, JD. It's been a while since I wanted to share this. To be continued...

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #490 on: September 02, 2019, 10:28:00 PM »
Those boxes were a great find. You have an excellent eye for diorama fodder. You've done a really nice job painting and and with decals. These fit in really well. The cans are excellent too. I like the layout of the diorama as well. I like the idea of a wall (though it makes more work). I don't know if the durasteel panels in the floor are necessary. Great job!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:57:32 PM by Starchaser »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #491 on: September 04, 2019, 10:31:02 AM »

Ron

As you said do the floor first then go from there as sometimes just the ground work with the equipment and figures is all you need to make a display/dio look great.

Ron
True dat. I think a wall would be unnecessary, I kind of like being able to have a 360 view of the Squad, doing squad stuff. Having a wall would only work at one angle.

I find your WIP very inspiring and took this occasion to sum it all up on this topic:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10416.msg213074#msg213074

Thanks again, JD. It's been a while since I wanted to share this. To be continued...
Yeah I saw that, very good finds. The only limitations is your own imagination.
Those boxes were a great find. You have an excellent eye for diorama fodder. You've done a really nice job painting and and with decals. These fit in really well. The cans are excellent too. I like the layout of the diorama as well. I like the idea of a wall (though it makes more work). I don't know if the durasteel panels in the floor are necessary. Great job!
Thank you. I really would like to make a wall, the work is the fun part, but for this I don't think it will be necessary.

My idea for the floor, was to make something like an ancient castle ruin, converted into a modern spaceport, as a dichotomy of new and old. So, I had this idea to use air drying clay, to make megalithic stone flooring. So, I layed down the clay, drew my lines. However, first off it looked more like bathroom tiles than stone, and second, as it was drying it started to shrink and crack, it looked like hammered dog doodoo. So like Bob Ross, turn a mistake into a happy little concrete floor. So, I put on a layer of spackle over it, dried and sanded. Then I "painted" it with woodland scenics Concrete and stone grey watercolors. I think it looks like really old concrete. Reminds me of old abandoned runway, or factory floor. That'll work for me.

First picture is before (hammered dog doodoo) second is after (distressed Concrete).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:46:01 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #492 on: September 04, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
The floor is looking awesome JD, can't wait to see it completed.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #493 on: September 04, 2019, 07:34:07 PM »
The floor is looking awesome JD, can't wait to see it completed.

Ron

Thank you Ron. It's like I did it on purpose. Lol. To be honest I never had a clear vision of how it would look, so I'm glad it looks the way it does. The Woodland scenics watercolors can be funny sometimes too. The concrete can either be yellow or stark white, I guess depending on the washes, but it looks good, I'm happy with it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #494 on: September 05, 2019, 03:15:55 AM »
You had me at Bobb Ross. Off to share the update. Nice way to fix that too!