Author Topic: Arcade 1up 3/4 scale retro coin op cabinets  (Read 39482 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Arcade 1up 3/4 scale retro coin op cabinets
« Reply #210 on: February 07, 2023, 03:52:20 AM »
LOL. Are you going to suprise her with her new system? LOL Clint, good luck with that. I haven't been able to sneak anything past my wife for 25 years!

Now that flame effect is just awesome. Works great. Off to share this!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2023, 07:33:47 PM »
Looks cool, like embers. Would also be geat for campfire in a diorama, in conjunction with cotton.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2023, 04:49:02 AM »
I lucked out, I guess. KIller Instinct was delayed by a day and will show up sometime today.  It’s snowing and she was talking about going in late so I’ll just cross my fingers.
  JDeck, I went and stopped at a train store on the way home yesterday and picked up a couple more simpler light controllers that only put out a different version of the flicker effect so I could experiment some. A campfire was exactly what I had in mind

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2023, 05:12:27 AM »
Good luck on today's schedule, Clint! Maybe play some trash metal to drive away your cares. Maybe she'll leave earlier then. Happy belated Birthday by the way! The flicker effect looks promising! Cannot wait to see how you turn the LEDs into a campfire! And awesome that you have a train store nearby, too!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2023, 03:56:13 PM »
Being so close to Kansas City, I know where a handful of train and hobby shops are, but there is this one that is very old school in that you walk in and there are different sections but, piles and piles of stuff, 8 foot high sometimes. They have a lot of cool groundwork and diorama type stuff at that store but there is another with a much broader selection I can think of. Ok, I’ll have to do that tonight before I integrate that circuit into Terminator somewhere. I keep wanting to set up a wrecked model car or a slot car on fire. I keep wandering about experimenting with simulating some moving smoke with a little fan pointed up and some streamer paper waving or something like that.  Model train guys have steam locomotives that burn an oil to generate real smoke. They have little individual burners you can get to generate smoke for diorama applications, like a line of buildings with smoldering chimneys. You could rig up a smoking stovepipe with moving LED fire in the stove. Or rig up the generator under/within your LED fire array.

So, Killer Instinct showed up yesterday. I did get it snuck into the house and downstairs. I spent all day working in Terminator so I didn’t even open it. I did re arrange the arcade a bit to accommodate. At this rate, I’m going to have to designate an overflow area.

So, I started working on a second lower marquee for T2 to sit on the riser box in the front. I’ll use the stock marquee piece that I replaced above and light from behind with a larger LED fire effect and something for Arnie’s red eye like above.  I needed a platform to mount lights and such that the bottom of the marquee would set on. To get the desired height, I trimmed up some wood stakes and screwed together3 layers to make a platform 3/8 thick, screwed to the support pieces on either side and with a hole for wires to feed the leds power.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:09:15 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2023, 04:14:59 PM »
So, you can imagine the mess that Insued, with me running wires and a crapload of lights and broken glass and different materials to try to integrate.
I will go over all of the banks and functions of the lights involved at some point. Still not done adding lights down low but I’m close and I’ve started adding glass. The EL wire will get thrown on also. I have several videos of the mess, I’ll try to mix em together and post em.
Not ready for the pre final reveal yet, but getting close.

Pre final because there a couple more elements I want to integrate.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2023, 05:58:43 PM »
And here is the video
That last shot shows the marquee in the dark, it’s worth the wait
I had been working on this thing for a day straight not liking how it looked and then when I turned the lights out, I liked it a lot more and had a more clear picture of how I wanted to direct light placement and transfer” by way of the glass or possibly some fiber optics thrown in” and, that campfire effect, probably, and some white
For behind Arnie
I wish some of the colored ones behind his face would shift left a bit

https://youtu.be/PNfkVuwY_rs
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:01:05 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2023, 07:19:44 AM »
Very nice Clint. Off to share.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2023, 10:47:41 PM »
The video was great! It looks like you have a fire burning in your game - pretty great. I bet you are breaking a lot of windows for this ;D No really, I like the effect. Killer Instinct is brilliant! Glad you could sneak it in. Happy late birthday!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2023, 09:55:39 AM »
Thanks, starchaser, just 2 jars, a small light bulb, and a thermometer housing so far. I have so many projects in the arcade piled up now!

I was not familiar with killer instinct. I don’t remember seeing it in an arcade when it was there. I suppose it would have been a competitor for sega’s Virtua Fighter’s quarters, back in the day. This, like that, we’re the first of the 3-d polygon fighters.
  The cabinet went together with a fight or two. The marquee looks ok, compared to some of their others but, I already have a DB Graphix translight piece to replace it with. We will get to that before long.
  The included stool suffered shipping damage to the stool top with the graphic of the character “Spinal” I believe, having a split rendered by the tip of a forklift fork, I would bet. Replacement piece is already coming, thanks to their ever helpful customer support porthole.  That deck protector lights up like on the Big Blue cab except, this one remembers the last setting when you switch it off. The older versions would reset every time.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #220 on: February 14, 2023, 05:33:59 PM »
Yep, the stock marquee didn’t make it another hour.
I peeled the stock sticker, cut the front out of the white casing front piece of the lightbox, cut two thin pexiglass pieces and sandwiched the graphic between. Taped into place against the now open stock marquee front. “opened to allow more of the LED light to shine through”
I think it looks better
Looks a bit less washed out and says Nintindo now
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 05:43:04 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2023, 05:35:39 PM »
More marquee shots, fitting in more now

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #222 on: February 14, 2023, 06:55:03 PM »
Thanks, starchaser, just 2 jars, a small light bulb, and a thermometer housing so far. I have so many projects in the arcade piled up now!

I was not familiar with killer instinct. I don’t remember seeing it in an arcade when it was there. I suppose it would have been a competitor for sega’s Virtua Fighter’s quarters, back in the day. This, like that, we’re the first of the 3-d polygon fighters.
  The cabinet went together with a fight or two. The marquee looks ok, compared to some of their others but, I already have a DB Graphix translight piece to replace it with. We will get to that before long.
  The included stool suffered shipping damage to the stool top with the graphic of the character “Spinal” I believe, having a split rendered by the tip of a forklift fork, I would bet. Replacement piece is already coming, thanks to their ever helpful customer support porthole.  That deck protector lights up like on the Big Blue cab except, this one remembers the last setting when you switch it off. The older versions would reset every time.

Killer Instinct was a late comer (at least in my world) - mid 90's I think, after grad school, so didn't play it. I remember thinking that some of the characters were an homage to Harryhausen. Too bad about the damage, but really glad that their customer serivce is so responsive.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2023, 07:21:24 PM »
I want to get Killer Instinct for my bar, because the deco. I think it was more of a console thing. Onre of those Street fighter types. I've never played it, but it loks cool. If I was to get one that's the one I'm looking at. They're a decent price too, with a matching stool.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 07:44:23 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #224 on: February 15, 2023, 03:49:15 AM »
Man, that does look better.

Sorry about the stool. Glad their customer service is good.