Author Topic: Arcade 1up 3/4 scale retro coin op cabinets  (Read 39247 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Arcade 1up 3/4 scale retro coin op cabinets
« Reply #255 on: March 14, 2023, 09:46:10 AM »
Still all over the place here

Simpsons marquee got a marquee light upgrade and 12 volt power passed down to the lower part. It also got new coin door lights wired to come on with the cabinet. That one turned out too bright but i have an inline dimmer I plan to install tonight that should help.

Bad pics
blitz got a marquee light upgrade and 12 volt power passed down and new coin door lights wired To come on with the cab now.
Think this is the first pic I have shown with the blitz wearing it’s new 2 player control deck.

Dig dug got new coin door lights wired to come on with the cab.

Need to do another walkthrough. I have more neon light rope up now, plus some color changing spots for the main overhead lights. Only 4 color choices on those.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2023, 02:50:08 AM »
It feels like neon magic. Looks so good Clint.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #257 on: March 18, 2023, 07:41:41 PM »
More lights, Shawn

In the web of the 8 inch steel beam  below the living room floor above the drum set, I placed roughly 22ft of cool white and 12 foot of warm white tape lights to illuminate several 8”x26” reproduction arcade marquee translite pieces. The lights are wired to a 10000 ml 12 volt adapter running through a dimming circuit I can run with a wireless remote. “Good for when I rig em too bright as these dimmers are pretty inexpensive” also, since the preferred setting is too bright for the digital camera, I can dim for any pics I take.

There are also some flashing type functions built into the dimmers. I think some may even have a flicker function…….more fire effects

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #258 on: March 19, 2023, 06:24:23 AM »
Truly awesome. I bet you can get a sunburn from all that neon glory.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #259 on: March 25, 2023, 01:36:16 AM »
Been getting busier at work here lately but I still have been working on stuff.
I got a half inch piece of plywood and cut to replace the riser front for X-men vs street fighter with a large hole cut in the front to display a big translite graphic that I picked up for the title from DB graphics again. I had requested a custom vinyl piece to hack up and skin this face with. Positioning the piece to apply wasn’t too hairy and the extra layer of protective film on his vinyl pieces always seems to make things easier and less scuffed when you get done.  The main graphic filled the top and bottom and I had to slice and dice to fill the lower sides.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #260 on: March 25, 2023, 01:42:00 AM »
After getting that much on, I used the same yellow pin striping vinyl tape to cover the edges. I will trim that middle hole out with some kind of styrene angle piece configuration covered with the same yellow vinyl and then probably hot glue the translite into place. Any imperfections with my saw cut or vinyl placement can be hid with these angled piece placements. I’ll have to cut a piece of plexi or two for the graphic to sandwich in. I’m waiting for more of the yellow vinyl tape to arrive but I may work on that hole trim or it’s backlight array today.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 03:21:40 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #261 on: March 25, 2023, 01:48:31 AM »
I did get this mysterious package in the mail yesterday. Do you remember what these pieces are for, Shawn?

Oh, I also added a dimmer to the Simpsons marquee and swapped out the lights behind the coin doors for something brighter. They are wired to come on with the cabinet marquee now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 02:20:05 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #262 on: March 25, 2023, 02:26:30 PM »
So, after some flash trimming, I have them lightly fixed into place with packing tape. I’ll have to scrounge out some double stick foam tape for a more professional placement if needed.
  I think they look stunning. The perfect augment to this representation of that classic arcade cab. I’ll have to find a pic of the original standup to post.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #263 on: March 25, 2023, 02:27:51 PM »
May have to muster a coin door up for this one

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #264 on: March 26, 2023, 05:56:48 AM »
Wish I had one of those.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #265 on: March 26, 2023, 07:13:12 AM »
I know, buddy. I have always been proud of that one and I can see more love being thrown at it in the future.
Got my trim pieces cut for the riser hole. I’m using some mid sized styrene angle pieces mounted with the corner at a 45 to the mounting surface. I only had one chance to get the compound miters cut right as they were my last pieces on hand. I’ll cover these pieces with the yellow vinyl and attach with super glue gel.
  Got my plexi pieces cut for the graphic. I will probably hot glue the group together at the edges and I’ll hot glue from behind the trim to mount.

I also got my light tape strips mounted and soldered together with a lead drilled through that panel to access the upper cab through another drilled hole to get to the 12v lead that I dropped down from the marquee power source.
  Come on pinstripe tape.I’m getting closer

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2023, 06:07:03 PM »
I had considered some kind of sound upgrade for x Vs sf and settled on just adding the two 4 inch speakers  I pulled out of T2 into the same panel as the lights. I figured if there was enough wattage, the extra two would give it more of a presence down low and it does sound better, even crunchier, on the low end. In the games List menu, you  will hear a 90s Wolverine voice as you navigate and he sounds especially gravely now. It might vibrate the whole front plexi and translite like a drum just slightly. Probably dulls it down because of the multiple layers.

I added some yellow to try to more closely match the light cast at the top marquee. I added an inline low profile dimmer to the riser lights split from the marquee lights as the lower was too bright and was robbing the marquee power some at the same time. Now, the lower is dimmed by 3 clicks and all that extra power is distributed back up top to brighten it back up . Those little dimmers are handy to have on hand and are not very expensive. Perhaps $2 each if bought in 5 or more increments.

That last shot is a mock up
Still looks a touch bright, think it needs more yellow.

I got my yellow pinstripe tape in so, I can now tape the styrene  trim pieces I cut for the hole border and glue this thing together.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 06:11:08 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #267 on: March 30, 2023, 02:41:32 AM »
All of these things just making your Arcade just so much cooler. Looks good Clint.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #268 on: April 14, 2023, 06:44:34 PM »
Work got busy extra arcade got snagged some.
Here are pretty much the final reveal shots of SF vs X Men. I added some conservative EL wire applications, and part of a multicolored light tape piece, mounted under a medium thin layer of packing foam to diffuse the light
Both el wire and the partial light tape are usb powered coming from a 4 port hub behind.

I went with the Ice Blue for the lighting to match one of those Walmart 1up wall marquees that used the same color around the border. I will have ti move that one back over to hang over this machine now, to show the color palates matching.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #269 on: April 14, 2023, 06:49:01 PM »
A couple more shots.
I need to clean up the dungeon but you can see it’s turning more into a Tron atmosphere as time goes on.
I have some of that stuff in the drum area now as well. I’ll have to take some shots after I clean up. Still refining on the neon tube. It’s a work in progress.