Author Topic: mando costume...  (Read 3702 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
mando costume...
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:56:49 PM »
This is realy a thread for me just to jot down my random musings... as I probably won't finish this in time for even next halloween! lol...

So... i'm thinking about doing me up a costume emulating my "self custom"...

you remember this figure...

it got hangarbay'd...

so... I've already got a helmet almost finished all it needs is a visor glued in place and a rangefinder.  Both of which I think I can whip up pretty easilly.

I've already got a black cowboy hat, as that's the reason there's one on the figure...

I based the figure's boots on my own black stingray skin cowboy boots...

heres the thing:
I've got 1/4" sheet styrene that I can make the armor out of... I think I might be able to even mold it somewhat after heating it up to get the right bends in it...

the only thing I realy have no idea where to begin on are the gauntlets.  They will probably wind up being purchased on e-bay. as might the armor too...

There are some tiny details on the fig Idk if you can see in the pics, the back of the gloves have the white diamond on black detail that is supposed to match the stingray skin boots...  As does the holsters. 

I'm currently keeping an eye on several ebay listings of unprocessed stingray skin hides that I believe I'll be able to use relatively easy to make the glove backs. 

I'm at a loss of how to think about doing the holsters though. 

The pistols are supposed to be reminisnt (sp?) of the animated boba fett's pistols with white bone inlayed handles...  I have access to deer bones every year and will probably use a rib section, cut and pollished for the inlay, but I don't know where to begin on the actual blaster itself.   I will probably scratch build them from sheet styreen and pvc pipe.

anyways, again, this is just my random midnight musing on a concept I've been wanting to put together for a long time.

OH yeah... since I'm no crippled and have to walk with a cane I'm working on a customized cane that will work realy well with this whole get up.. but I'll start it in a different thread.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Re: mando costume...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:39:55 AM »
This will be a fun project, I would recommend hitting up the mando mercs  http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=1
 The link is to the tutorial page and they have the templats to print for everything including the guantlets. I believe the armor patterns come in 4 sizes. give it a shot before heading to ebay, you may find a used set in their classifieds.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:28:47 AM »
Def. go to the Mercs' pages first!!  Let 'em know what yer trying to do and read EVERYTHING they've got.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 08:07:33 AM »
anyone been to dented helmet?  I've looked over their stuff to and they seem to be pretty good at what they do...
I'll check out both places.

Doc, I know you were making some armor for your kids did you just make the armor in strait flat sheets or did you get a curve to it?

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 08:18:59 AM »
TDH is another great site - the Mercs and TDH have some degree of integration, with links back and forth between tutorials.  But, imo, start at the Mercs, as they cover a lot more of the "custom Mando" looks.  As for the curve in the kids' armor, I'm not finished with it yet.  :P  Yeah, I'm slow.  I used a Sterilite trash-can for the base and actually used the pre-existing curve of the can.  Plus, per the Mercs, it forms easily with a hair-dryer or a quick dip in boiling water.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:20:27 AM »
hmmm I may just have to do that doc... i think I can buy a black trash can and use that as my base material and not have to do much to it...

the thing that is still vexing me is the gauntlets...

oh well, no time to research right now, gotta go pack up... well... everything.  gah!