Author Topic: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest  (Read 37100 times)

Offline Rustyscustoms

• RustysCustoms
  • Commander
  • and im like forget you
    • RustysCustoms
Re: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »
I remember it was an actual yamaha model quad not even from a toy line.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2011, 03:11:44 AM »
Everybody's is looking cool. Jules that speeder rocks. Rusty I like your speeder but the driver is crazy cool. 

I painted up my walker but I don't know it needs something. The only thing I can think of is another layer of camo in another color. Any suggestions??

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2011, 03:50:19 AM »
Looking good but I do agree it needs a little something. The second color ap for the camo might be just it.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2011, 04:47:24 AM »
That certainly added some character to that vehicle.
Looking nice.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »
I think it looks good the way it is, but that's just me.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2011, 09:30:07 AM »
I would make that bad boy black with white and red trim with an Imperial Symbol! I really like the look of it though. You guys really are so hard on yourselves sometime.

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »
Sorry I haven't been keeping up on the entries...

@Dark... I had that tank and was like.. oooh, this could work, lol.. then I set it aside hoping for something more StarWarsey... maybe cause I had the tank as a kid for the Joes, it just screams Joe vehicle to me.. I dunno. I do like what you did and it's a perfect example of a mini-rig though, and of course love the clone.

@Lucas... I like the look of it, but the legs seem too small for me, if  it wasn't as top heavy, I think it'd look a little better.

@Rusty...  looking good, I love bikes/ATVs turned into speeders, can't wait to see where this goes.

@Hangerbay...

Seriously... That's not fair.. and the winner is... HANGERBAY!!!! YOU WIN.. YOUR OWN VEHICLE, lol.. all kidding aside, I love the detail, the color and just how it all came together. Kudos for stepping up and making such a sweet entry.

I'll go take a pic of my fodder pile and what I came up with, still deciding what to do.

Offline Rustyscustoms

• RustysCustoms
  • Commander
  • and im like forget you
    • RustysCustoms
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »
Alrighty guys I offically finished my mini rig last night and I must say its out there, I dnt have time before work to post them but I wilk when I get home. for my first ever vehicle im pretty proud and can safely say I doubt you guys have seen anything like this before lol. I got a bit carried away in the end. :)

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2011, 07:44:20 PM »
Okay, I took pics of my WIP.. and for poops & snickers, I thought I'd take a pic of how my mind works going through a process of picking my vehicle...

First off, I wanted it to be semi easy, a repaint and maybe some added stuff to SW it up. At first glance, I remember getting this vehicle for a Mando ship..

My only problem was like I mentioned above in another post about someone else's entry, I'd have to do too much for it to not be a GI Joe vehicle(in my eyes) cause I've had a vehicle like this when I was little(before they revamped it), and it screams GI Joe to me.

Off to the next idea:

I got this out and was trying to figure out what I could do with it, I saw a Gungan near my fodder and thought.. Hey, I could use it for some Gungan fighter... Then I started thinking about it and if I was looking at something that I wanted to pick for a winner, I don't know if I'd pick a Gungan vehicle, no matter how well it was done, lol... I dunno.. the competitor in me said I had to do something that grabbed someone by the ears and said "LOOK AT ME"... so, off to the drawing board...

With this one, I thought I had that feeling, then some of the WIPs and entries started coming in and I didn't want to be known at the 3rd string mech entry, lol.. so I thought, I loved the idea enough, I can just finish that for myself on my own time...

I started hacking this thing up, parts started coming together, other ships started getting sacrificed to the almighty Customizing Gods and I was happy with how it was turning out.. had it almost ready for paint. Then my son walked into the room and was messing with some of the other vehicle fodder and I had an idea, I thought why not make something for him. I've seen plenty of guys do it here, make customs that their kids play with, so I told him to grab some figures, and was looking at the fodder, one thing led to another, I asked if I could borrow a Jawa and said how about a mini Sand Crawler...  Then he went crazy, started pulling out all his droids, lol.. I had to let him know I said "mini" not reg sized... So we pieced together an older GI Joe vehicle, used some different treads and then I let him set it up for the pics...

So, I still have a lot of work to do, I plan on taking the front and totally redoing it, making it go out to a point or whatever how the real sandcrawler does. I like how it splits in two, though I'm missing one of the legs, so if I can't find it, I might scrap the idea for now, or I'll make my own.. it might not look right, but hey, they're Jawas, lol... Anyway, other ideas are a crane for some droids or a claw up front to snag a droid or something like that for him to be able to "play" with it.  It got me excited about the project mainly cause it's going to be for him, so I'll have to do my best to make it sturdy and hopefully he'll be nice to it, lol..

Anyway, so there we go, sorry about the long windedness... I'll post a couple progress pics as I get more done... This is how my mind works and why I have about 200 WIPs and probably less than half of that real finished cusoms. I start off wanting to do something simple and it turns into a half scratch build/half rework/repaint, lol... DOH!!!

-Joe
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:46:47 PM by Joerhyno »

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2011, 09:59:55 PM »
I know your pain... ALLL too well do I know it!  For the droid claw, why not suction grapples like on the Sandcrawler *and* on the skiff from ROTJ?  Hide some tiny rare-earth magnets inside the droid heads and inside a suction-cup from a window-catcher kit that hangs from a crane-arm...

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2011, 11:21:04 PM »
THIS IS MY ENTRY. Ok I finally got this thing done. I added a camo net. It's made out of twine and landscape shrubs. I just sprayed it with adhesive and stuck the shrubs on.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2011, 11:24:31 PM »
Tamer, I hope you like this bad boy. I'm gonna ship this rebel shredder tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics of the legs. I'm gonna give you the other missile launcher attachment too, it's just not in the pic.

Offline Rustyscustoms

• RustysCustoms
  • Commander
  • and im like forget you
    • RustysCustoms
« Reply #177 on: March 16, 2011, 11:35:09 PM »
Here you go guys finally finished off my Mini Rig... Now you all saw what i was working on before, i got half way through the paint up and  just went this thing looks shit lol. so i went nuts on it and just made this look as badass as i possibly could, hardcore demon spawn ready to EFF shit up with its arsenal of weapons. Another thing i aimed for is for the vehicle itself to look like some kind of animal/beast and have its own persona. The rider is a hardcore looking bounty hunter i pieced together and is now officially part of this custom and they stay together. so here is my SPEEDER BIKE FROM HELL

So here is what i posted before, and now this is...

THE BEAST!

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #178 on: March 16, 2011, 11:37:41 PM »
Wow Rusty! That thing is EVIL and B.A.! The rider matches it perfectly too.

Offline Rustyscustoms

• RustysCustoms
  • Commander
  • and im like forget you
    • RustysCustoms
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »
dude your entry is sick, that camo net idea rocks lovin it, and thanks I sure wouldnt wanna come across this guy. i just wish i got a picture when i was at its first stages :( so dumb not to.