Author Topic: spudafett's star wars and related sketches  (Read 9346 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
spudafett's star wars and related sketches
« on: August 23, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
since everyone else is doing this I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and show yall some of my old and some of my newer technical star wars sketches.  Might give someone some Ideas for customs so hey, why not!

scuba clone sub

Aquatic At-Te:

if you can't read my handwriting:

"the atte swimmer is designed for aquatic deployment.  It can skim the surface of the water or dive to considerable depths.  The external gunner station is enclosed for this reason.  The simmer requires a 7 man crew, 2 pilots, 4 gunners, and a torpedo gunner.  Passengers normally consist of 20 scuba clones and their gear.  A hatch on the underbelly allows for underwater deployment of said clones."

i have a ton more somewhere, I'll have to dig them out and scan them if you guys want to see....

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: spudafett's star wars and related sketches
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:24:41 PM »
Nice stuff, Spud.I have seen some of these before, i think on your deviant art page.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:20:15 PM »
Oh yeah! I love all the walkers, especially the aquautic atte and the walker scorpion!

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »
You have some great sketches there.  Really well done!
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline customclone

• 3rd scrap burners
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 01:32:43 PM »
sweet man those are awsome

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:46:09 PM »
thought I'd post some more of these that I'd had set back in my deviant art pages i'd forgotten about.

on that series of boba creature pics I actually came up with a realy neat way of doing multiple versions of the same sketch.  What I did was sketched a rough sketch of what I wanted of the creature by itself, then I made a photocopy on my scanner.  I then erased parts of the original and added the harness, saddle and whatnot and scanned it.  I then went back to the original and added boba.  That way I had three copies of the same image that I could compound upon, color or do whatever. 

ok these next few arn't realy star wars so whatever

this was an exercise in photoshoping I was trying to pin down an idea I had for a painting...  basically it was a flesh and blood dino facing off with a fully articulated skeleton of itself... It was inspired by an artist I saw on deviant art that paints anatomy in a way where it is two of the same animal in a natural setting only one is full flesh and blood and the other is skeletalized or another layer of anatomy, like muscle and tendons...  IT was CREEPY and yet amazingly life like at the same time.

^frankendion^

I cheated on that one and copied the cover of a TOR fantasy book... the dragon and the george series, don't remember which specific title though...

a kind of feathered raptor I was studying, trying different poses and perspectives...

that was my sketch concept for an oil painting... the sketch is better than the painting. lol

Idk wtf happened with that one.  The skeletalized raptor came out PERFECT but the feathered raptor looks like it had a battle with a hair drier, washing machine and clothes drier and lost....  idk...

some better paintings:

the humingbird and the battle of yavin ones I think are my all time favorite... although I like the bard owl too.  Those are the ones that don't need any fixing! lol.  although yavin looks a little flat... oh well we are our worst critic.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 03:47:29 AM »
Cool, Devon! I like all of the dino sketches. That idea with the dino facing off with his skeleton is pretty cool.
Man that one painting you are working on in that one pic is huge!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 01:58:39 PM »
that gigantic painting was a valentines day gift to dawn that took me a month to finish.  it was supposed to be our "dream home on the hill" but I realy hate the way the cabin turned out and  I especially hate the way the trees turned out.  it's good, but I have always thought I could do better.  I think my problem was that I rushed it and gave myself a deadline... and I don't work well artisticly with a deadline.  I have to be free to have spurts of artistic/creative briliance without restriction... lol

yeah... and that was the most expensive painting i'd ever done.  I think that canvas cost me upwards of 80 bucks....

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention I really like that animated fett and beast drawing and especially like the study of the beast presentation.

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 08:53:49 PM »
Spudd, I really like your second dinosaur drawing, the T-rex skeleton! However, that Styracostegasauraptor thing is a little awkward looking. I do also like the thing Animated Boba rode in on, looks like a new creature Hasbro should make to go along with that Boba they gave us! Maybe the next mail-in figure after Obi and Eopiee?  ;D  ;D

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:41:05 PM »
thats a great name for that frankensaur xv.  lol I drew that when I was like 12 I think copying various parts of dinos out of a coloring book or somthing if I remember right.  Thanks for the compliments, yeah that t-rex one is one of my favorite sketches...

man I just remembered I did a big sketch concept study on the mandalorian Mythosaur skeleton and fleshed out version based on nothing more than the mythosaur skull emblem of the mandos...  I need to get some pics of that as it is too large to scan!

Offline hangarbay94

• Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 03:39:21 AM »
Priceless post Spudafett,

It's great seeing your drawings, wow, some of them remind me of some my own drawings. I'll have to dig what I have left of mine.

I really enjoyed looking at your artwork, brought back some really cool childhood memories for me, so thanks so much.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »
no problem HB... when I finally get settled in at my parents and can get my old computer back up and runing I'll dig out some of my old archived images  they are even more clasic than these! lol

I've also recently done a sketch of what I think a LIVE fleshed out Mythosaur should look like that I realy need to get posted up on here....  you know the mythosaur is the skull that's the mando symbol... they were suposed to be as big as cities and all...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »
I really like that creature Boba is riding. I think that is from the Droids series right? Christmas special?

Ever think you could mod that creature out of one of the swimmy dinosaurs? That would be a cool custom.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 10:31:36 PM »
tamer that was the idea when I was sketching those concepts...

I've been eyeing a chap-mei pleasiosaur for months at toys-r-us wondering if I could get it done...
my main reason for adding ball jointed hips to star wars figures started with this project.  I wanted the animated boba to be able to ride this animal, so I customized my first star wars figure using joe hips for that reason... and then I started doing it with all my figs and this creature project kind of got lost in the midst of everything....

well guys... I dusted off the old photo-editing program I have and threw this little piece together after watching the newest episode of clone wars.  Took a screengrab from their site of the xanadu blood above naboo and edited in a shot of bane.

it's as good as I could do with the source material.  Had I had higher resolution stuff to begin with it would look better than that....