Author Topic: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume  (Read 126382 times)

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
Re: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume
« Reply #315 on: July 23, 2013, 10:18:27 AM »

you can see Shawn's driver costume here rather well!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #316 on: July 23, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »

you can see Shawn's driver costume here rather well!

Thats right Chad we did talk a couple minutes about it didn't we.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #317 on: September 08, 2013, 01:16:49 AM »
Well I decided to apply for the 501st as I found a very nice member who is relatively close and I was able to make some fairly easy corrections to make this just a bit better (would have been quicker if I hadn't had my knife incident).

Very cool pics Shawn! Congrats on 501st approval! What next ?
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #318 on: September 08, 2013, 04:46:40 AM »
Thanks Serg. I want to troop in it a couple of times and will probably add a couple of things to this:

1. New helmet lenses (I have curved ones to fit the contours better but it is kinda blurry)
2. helmet mic system (seeing some really cool wireless versions now)

From there I am probably gonna puruse one of two new costumes. Its gonna be either:

TK Suit or I.M.P.S. AT-AT Driver Heavy Door Gunner (black pirate helmet)

and I want a LAWS Helmet and Chest Box

After that I am thinking of going after a Boba Fett or a Snowtrooper. If I can get all those I will probably be satisfied as having those up on full mannequins in my collection room is gonna probably push the limits of space and style. Thanks for your comments.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #319 on: September 08, 2013, 06:02:23 AM »
Bubble lenses are excellent for display being accurate for AT-AT and TIE Pilots, but for trooping they are not too good.

Snowtrooper is a good choice, Fett would be very hard and expensive. Even I'm thinking of a Snowtrooper or Snowtrooper Commander armor on bust
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #320 on: September 08, 2013, 07:20:11 AM »
Bubble lenses are excellent for display being accurate for AT-AT and TIE Pilots, but for trooping they are not too good.

Snowtrooper is a good choice, Fett would be very hard and expensive. Even I'm thinking of a Snowtrooper or Snowtrooper Commander armor on bust

Yepper, I hear you on the Fett. Thinking it will be my last one, a coup de grace if you will. I could easily see you doing the Snowtrooper thing too. Maybe I will let you do it first and then I can cheat off of you as I know you are gonna have it as perfectly accurate as you can get it. :D

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #321 on: September 12, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »

Yepper, I hear you on the Fett. Thinking it will be my last one, a coup de grace if you will. I could easily see you doing the Snowtrooper thing too. Maybe I will let you do it first and then I can cheat off of you as I know you are gonna have it as perfectly accurate as you can get it. :D

That may happen in a few years though, I have a few other things I'd like getting first...
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #322 on: September 13, 2013, 02:20:48 AM »
I hear you. If GG doesn't stop producing all those Hoth Jumbos it may be a few years till I can start on another one to one too.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #323 on: October 26, 2013, 06:39:05 AM »
Did you ever consider getting a Sterling E-11 blaster from here: http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/star-wars.html ? They have 3 options, and 2 of them are quite good, just some better greeblies on them and you'd have the real thing. Nothing would compare to that E-11 blaster then.
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #324 on: October 27, 2013, 08:08:03 AM »
Did you ever consider getting a Sterling E-11 blaster from here: http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/star-wars.html ? They have 3 options, and 2 of them are quite good, just some better greeblies on them and you'd have the real thing. Nothing would compare to that E-11 blaster then.

That is definitely on my to do list one day Serg. I have to admit though the one made by forum member Wookie Balls has a lot of personal meaning though and looks just fantastic to me even though it is a Hasbro conversion.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #325 on: October 27, 2013, 08:15:25 AM »
Hasbro conversions are very nice, but they will never be too accurate alas. They are not good for 501st Centurion lever either. Doopydoos E-11 kits or Hyperfirms are more accurate. And the Unique Canes blasters are great as long as you know which of the 3 versions to get and what to do next.
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #326 on: October 27, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »
Hasbro conversions are very nice, but they will never be too accurate alas. They are not good for 501st Centurion lever either. Doopydoos E-11 kits or Hyperfirms are more accurate. And the Unique Canes blasters are great as long as you know which of the 3 versions to get and what to do next.

I totally agree. The version I have is a doopydoos. And sometimes just knowing it is a fellow Shipyarder who is taking the time to make something for me outweighs any 501st or accuracy concern. To me those types of builds are more accurate than anything even our beloved ILM could crank out!

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #327 on: October 27, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »
I have a few items in my collection that came from friends and they are very important to me. But that is another issue, I cannot compare an item close to my heart with others. I also have a Doopydoos upgrade for my Hasbro, but never got into assembling it. Maybe one day. My girlfriend said to sell my Hasbro blaster, since I have so many E-11 already which are way more accurate. But the blaster comes from Ed, one of the oldest Star Wars friends of mine, and that is why it is still in my collection :)

The Sterling blaster I got a couple years ago evolved a lot from what it was. I could have left it as it was since it was specific to a certain scene in ANH, but I wanted more. I added a real M38 tank scope (to join the M40, which it came with), a new steel scope rail, a second plaque, a genuine Eagle Hengstler counter and its bracket, a very complex metal display stand, and finally the upcoming cylinders which are very accurate. It became my favorite item in my collection, because it was the closest thing to a screen used item, not just a copy, but assembled with the identical materials like the ILM versions back then in 1977. It cost a lot to make it but well worth it.

BTW you might want to lower the tube stripes stickers a bit on the helmet. The first time my Laws gray lid arrived it came with Dan's tube stickers, which were not the most accurate. I replaced them with Trooperbay ones, used also by Moncal. The only thing I need to upgrade on my AT-AT helmet would be to change the Elvistrooper tusks to the new two part RPF versions. Wish I had the budget to go for 2 sets of these new tusks but they are quite expensive, but still very accurate, being made from the original dart parts.

http://starwarshelmets.com/original%20atat%20helmet.htm
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2013, 02:39:57 AM »
Thanks for the info Serg. I actually got to troop around in my costume a bit last night. It was a nice way to end the weekend with all that I had going on. It really made my daughter's day to walk around with dad  with the full family in SW Regalia. She was Queen Amidala while my wife was Padme from AOTC. Pics to follow folks.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #329 on: October 28, 2013, 05:37:07 AM »
Cool! Waiting to see pics :)

BTW for trooping is recommended to have a light blaster and also maybe one that doesn't look too much like a real weapon (orange plug on the barrel might help too).
My collection
Trade Feedback