Author Topic: Laojax and son customs: Winter vacation update 2013-14  (Read 20607 times)

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
Re: Laojax customs: Female AT-AT Commander
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 01:05:30 PM »
Sweet! Looking AWESOME! ;D
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline jaq renaldi

• Cadet
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »
Great job! I love all the female characters/figures too. I did the same as you by giving Deena the job of AT-AT Commander. I used the chest plate from the vintage collection AT-AT Commander (TVC#5) You did a great job with creating your own mold. Impressive. I really like your cargo boxes too!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »
Wow, I really like hearing how international collectors get their stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I would love to get your take on collecting sometime on CAFN.

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2012, 03:01:06 AM »
Yeah I would have used the AT-AT commander chest plate but couldn't find that figure at a reasonable price, so I did the only sane thing (well maybe only slightly less insane) and DIY'd it! I was a little concerned that a regular sized plate would be too big for the female body; did it look alright?  I'm actually planning to do a resin cast of it and then do some shaping on the inside of it so that it fits her contours better. My other idea is to cast a copy of the helmet and modify it to include a snowtrooper/GM style facemask. I think that would look pretty ill if I can get the sculpt right (or find a Galactic Marine, which the boy has been asking for anyway, and cast his helmet). 

Tamer, I don't know if I'd have much to say about international collecting except that here in Japan it kinda sucks if all you're looking for is Hasbro stuff, so no major retail store carries them. Guess I ought to check out the kotobukiya stuff, but heck, I'm much more into toys that get played with than stuff that stays in boxes...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2012, 05:13:28 AM »
Well just kind thinking out loud about doing an international segment on our upcoming state of collecting podcast Chad and I have planned with Paul Harrison of JTA this coming spring. We think its bad here in the states, but I think we have no idea what you folks go through.

Anyway, back to the great customs in here.

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2012, 04:41:33 PM »
Alright, well if there seems to be anything I can add to the discussion or if you guys have any other specific questions I can field, I'd be more than happy to contribute! Thanks!

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
Laojax customs: Gepthine assault
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »
A scene I was working on a while back...

Captain Siina Esserlin and the crew of Imperial Walker Carrion Angel have been dispatched to the remote planet Gepthine to apprehend a band of pirates and slavers.

My first attempt at resin casting; a custom pauldron done up in a color scheme reminiscent of the Imperial Japanese Army. (I'm teaching a class of 11th graders about the Pacific War right now, so my brain is fixated on the iconography of that era...)

Slaves and contraband located! (Including a cache of lightsabers!)

Captain Esserlin holds one of the slavers at bay with a confiscated lightsaber.

Even Imperial military officers are capable of compassionate acts.

Seizure of contraband!

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2012, 04:25:39 AM »
AWESOME
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 04:44:41 AM »
Looks good to me. On the front page. Still really like that female AT-AT Commander and that custom sculpted Twilek.

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
Re: Laojax customs: Gepthine Assault
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2012, 02:23:57 AM »
Yeah, since I haven't really had much time to get in the workshop and create new works lately I figured I'd ride these ones out for a while! ;)  Gotta keep my name out there! 

Since Xmas is coming soon I'll have to start working on a present for the lil guy, figure I'll do that Sith version of Aayla for real now that I have the means to cast some new parts!

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2013, 11:01:02 PM »

School's out, and while I still have to go in for various administrative duties, it's not every single day, so the boy and I have been finding some time to get our customizing on. A while back I found several POTJ EV-9D9s on amazon dirt cheap, and they had been sitting in a box with other fodder-bound figures, so we opened a couple and got to work. Mine is the green one, Liam's is the tan one. He told me where to drill holes in the head, and we added some of his mom's earrings which I had rescued from the trash. For mine, I harvested some greeblie-bits from an old asthma inhaler (actually a "diskhaler" with lots of complicated moving parts, gears and such inside, not the pump type.) a gundam capsule toy's gun, and a pen finger grip. Painted them by using a rusty metallic base coat, applying salt before the main color, and brushing off the salt after the paint dried for a chipped, rusty look. I think they turned out pretty good! Liam says he likes mine better, but I think the paint job turned out better on the tan one!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2013, 07:28:20 AM »
Wow, what a great way to use throw away bits and make something awesome. I like both versions. Bravo. Time to go share the news on our pages.

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »
Thanks, Tamer! I've been meaning to ask, is there a way to change the name of this thread? Seems like a lot of people on here have threads with names reflecting their most recent projects, but I just can't figure out how to do it. 2 years later and it's still touting the female AT-AT commander.

These figs don't look as cool now since I gave them a coat of matte clear-coat which got a little cloudy and opaque in spots. I'd be upset if these were really clean figures, but they look like they hobbled out of a jawa's scrap heap anyway so no worries! Next up on the workshop desk is a Rodian Sith, from a POTF2 Greedo, so not much articulation, but I think it'll end up pretty cool.  Liam's idea, and he did  a lot of the painting (of course I stepped in to help with the missed areas and details). .

I covered the hands and feet so he could go wild with the brushwork without worry.

Gonna make some kind of cloak for the guy, hopefully tonight after work, and get some pics up!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »
Sure all you need do is go in and modify your very first post's title with what you want it to be called and it will auto change. Let me know what you want and I can change it for you if its a pain. Love the action shots too btw. [at1]

Offline Laojax

• Ensign
Re: Laojax and son customs: Rusty droids and Rodian Sith
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2013, 07:19:02 AM »
Well I'm no closer to my summer vacation goal of making Jabba's Palace, but I've had some time to dabble with new custom figures. First, a Rodian Sith:

POTF Greedo with Labria's cape, self-sculpted lightsaber hilt.
Next, I went a little crazy on eBay and gave sinodolls a lot of my cheddar, got some imperial officers (as expected, some had two left feet or other abnormalities) and decided to make a female officer of Latina or South Asian ethnicity. Lots of trouble painting faces at this scale, especially with eyebrow placement, (need to get some smaller brushes) but not too shabby.

May or may not use this as the new head for my female AT-AT commander, Siina Esserlin.
Next up will be a final version of the Sith Aayla Secura I posted earlier on this thread, as I also picked up a double of the CW version.