Author Topic: New Pictures of Jabba  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
New Pictures of Jabba
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:35:11 AM »
They have new pictures of Jabba on Sandtroopers.com. He looks cheap though. I was expecting way better. I'm disappointed with Habro on this one. I tried to get a link but it's not working.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
Re: New Pictures of Jabba
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »
They have new pictures of Jabba on Sandtroopers.com. He looks cheap though. I was expecting way better. I'm disappointed with Habro on this one.

Personally I dig him; but if they just would have done a wash similar to what was done on the throne, it would have made a marked improvement and lessened the cheaper look.

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
Yeah, I think it's the Paint jobs on some of the newer figures that I don't like.  Makes them cheap looking. And that Oola is exactly what i'm talking about when I say, "too much articulation." All those joints take away from the figure. The 1st version of her was perfect and didn't need updated unless they did like they did the B.A.D. Slave Leia, give her 2 legs:sitting and standing. I have seen some recent pictures and some of the Jabba's don't look as bad as others.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 06:00:02 PM »
I still haven't decided what I think of Oola.  My first impression was that the face sculpt on the original looked better.  I don't think my opinion has changed, though I haven't compared the two side by side.  What bothers me the most about her is the bulky soft goods covering her crotch.  (Trust me when I say I mean that last statement in the most innocent of ways.)  It prevents the streamlined look that the outfit should have.

I've wondered a bit on various photos of Jabba myself.  Haven taken just enough pictures with a camera to know the frustrations that can be involved (sometimes what you want to show up DOESN'T or vice-versa), I'm wondering if lighting is taking a bigger role in some of the perceived differences.  Taken with too much lighting, Jabba looks worse because the natural shadowing/texture you'd get with a normal light source gets drown out.  Use a bit of "mood" lighting, and he looks a lot better.   I'm sure samples do actually vary one from the next, but in general I'm happier with the way mine looks than a lot of the photos I've seen posted.

Mood lighting with Jabba?  Creepy huh?   :)

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 07:05:18 PM »
My main problem with Jabba himself is the in his "chest"...the articulation joint. I know the old 1 twists and turns but I just wish they would have made it look like it was one piece.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 07:04:22 PM »
My main problem with Jabba himself is the in his "chest"...the articulation joint. I know the old 1 twists and turns but I just wish they would have made it look like it was one piece.

I hadn't thought about it.  Probably for the same reason you already pointed out--that's how the original was.  In other words, I'm probably more forgiving of the obvious joint because that's simply the way it was with the one I had as a kid.

I suppose they could have sculpted the joint to "flow" better with Jabba's body.  Or, not have the joint at all.  I'm thinking, as a kid, the only reason I turned the original's head was to move his tail and knock over an unsuspecting victim.

Not sure how handy you are at customizing, but I suppose a guy could fill in the recesses of the joint with a molding compound, smooth to the proper contours, and then paint.  Some of the customizers in these forums could probably tell you what to use if you wanted to tackle it.

Offline Mike Cypress

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:13:55 PM »
yeah, I already thought about doing that. If I decide to buy this, it will just be for the throne itself.