Author Topic: Starchaser's Custom Thread  (Read 186752 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: Starchaser's Custom Thread
« Reply #675 on: January 29, 2020, 06:28:32 PM »
Great figures, I think the Abednado looks great.  I've picked up some clearanced Fortnite figures and been trying to figure out how to work them into my customs.  I think the Visitor figure has a lot of potential.  I also snagged one of the new Lanard Alien sets.  I was a little disappointed that weren't screwbacks, only because that makes them easier to use.  I do think that APC fits well with Star Wars figures.  And of course the great thing about Lanard is the figures are inexpensive.  I hope Hasbro starts listening to the fans and gets their act together with the 3.75 lines.  I'd much rather see some aliens than another version of the main human cast.

Thanks for the feedback. I do agree with you. I'm disappointed that Hasbro has shown such poor stewardship of the 3.75" line lately. I'm not a package collector, so I don't need repacks of figures I already own, which means its hard to justify coughing up the money to "support" the line. I'm afraid that Hasbro (or their licensor) is only looking at the number of sales instead of the factors that contribute to a lines success. I would love more secondary characters, especially aliens. I'm honestly not sure why Hasbro doesn't just offer several (six to eight) new figure concepts a quarter on Hasbro Pulse as pre-orders and see how they do. There's a part of me that would love to see them do this with older figures who were part way or the whole through the development process but just didn't get produced for market (there was a white pilot Luke in a comic pack as well as a Noghri - though not Rukh specifically - and others). Oh well, as much as I enjoy the line and collecting, they are simply toys (I hope that's not going to draw any vitriole).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:28:45 PM by Starchaser »

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #676 on: February 07, 2020, 07:57:06 AM »
No vitriol from me, they are just toys and this is just a hobby.  Still, I think the hope out there is Haslab will be used to save the 3.75 lines.  And whether Hasbro thinks so or not, there is a market, so if they don't fill it someone will.  Maybe Jazwares will get a hold of some other sci-fi license and get us some good aliens :)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #677 on: February 07, 2020, 08:19:40 AM »
I think whatever new joe line that is launched whenever they make another joe movie should, hopefully, show us some quality 3 3/4 figures again. I don’t think hasbro wishes to do a six inch line of joes anymore.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #678 on: February 24, 2020, 12:20:12 AM »
I've got to say that I'm looking to Jazwares with a certain amount of hope after recent announcements. While I'm not "into" the Fortnite line (except as potential fodder), the thought that Jazwares might be doing Joe's and Halo is pretty exciting to me.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #679 on: February 24, 2020, 05:39:42 AM »
I suppose that when I think about it, that was a silly thing to say, considering how Hasbro has said their six inch sw line is a success.
     So it is to be a new six inch line for the joes. Apparently there are two movie titles in the works to pull from, the first being a stand alone snake eyes movie. The figures revealed so far are Snake Eyes, Scarlett, roadblock, and Duke, who’s image popped up on Walmart’s site i guess.
      The sculpts and accessories look pretty good. Roadblock is version 2 based with clothing and equipment reminding me of the 50th anniversary stuff that came out exclusive to toys r us a few years
Back. A bit flashy with sporadic gold colors used on the odd kneepad or set of boots.
   They do look cool, this shot of a snake eyes sure looks cool. I think this is  a shot of a dojo packed snake exclusive figure available at sdcc. I’ll have to read up on that one. Thanks to hisstank for the shot
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 05:54:39 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #680 on: February 25, 2020, 12:45:48 AM »
Those images look great! I think Hasbro is pretty much going with 6 inch figures (the demise of Marvel Universe, the end of Joe and now the poor treatment of The Vintage Collection). I'm happy for the new figures with the amazing sculpts and details for those who are interested in collecting 6 inch figures. I'm just not going to start down that rabbit hole. I have a lot invested in 3.75", limited room and a budget that I work with. So, I'm happy that Hasbro is still producing some lovely figures (I really like how Jannah turned out), but I'm jealous and more than a little disappointed that we haven't seen those 6 inch figures in TVC, and have the growing feeling that I will have to turn my attention toward other things (I'm waaaay excited about the Boss Fight Studios license with King Syndicate - especially Flash Gordon. Now if only they would negotiate a deal with the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate for John Carter, Warlord of Mars so I can get a really good super-articulated Tars Tarkas, I'd be "over the moon.").

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #681 on: April 16, 2020, 10:01:33 PM »
Its been a bit since I posted anything, but here's what I've been working on. I've made a few modifications to previously posted figures and built a couple of new ones, so on to the images:

1. Based on one of the background Guild hunters from episode one of The Mandalorian. I've named him Tono Raciline from Naboo.

Recipe is simple:
Head and helmet = POTJ Rebel fleet trooper (antenna added)
Breather = cut from Synara San helmet
Body = movie Starlord (from Starlord/Yondu two-pack)

2. Khin'ju Alu'tharen. I did a different version of this character (seen earlier in this thread, page 26) that I was never satisfied with, so I changed the design up completely. Khin'ju is a former member of the Cathar militia who now works with his partner, the Kearawees, Terpiklo Eru as a big game guide for hunters, trappers and photo-safari enthusiasts. There is no game this pair won't track anywhere in the galaxy (assuming, of course, its non-sentient, they are not bounty hunters):

Recipe:
Head = Safari limited Lynx (I think)
Body = Jazwares Fortnite Longshot

3. Kapp Dendo updated. I previously posted this figure with paper should armor. I finally dremeled out the shoulder armor from a 5POA Stromtrooper and attached to Dendo's trenchcoat and now, I feel, he's truly finished.

4. Vi Moradi updated. I thought the skin tone was too dark when I originally painted her, so I've lightened it to more in keeping with the original actress and illustrated images:

5. Solo movie era Chewie. This has been done by numerous customizers, but I finally got around to painting the Vandor playset Chewie head to match the SA Chewie body more closely:

That's it for this post, but I've got one more for tonight.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #682 on: April 16, 2020, 10:51:55 PM »
I showed the Fortnite Vertex figure a few weeks back suggesting it might have applications for customizing (and even added a C'ai Threnalli head to one). Well, I took the plunge with the idea and present:

The Jedha Phantoms:
A growing mercenary operation, the Jedha Phantoms are decisively anti-Empire. They do not work exclusively for the rebel Alliance but do have an ongoing relationship with both Alliance Intelligence and Special Ops. Because of their unique make-up and surgical precision, the Phantoms are often called in for very special assignments involving apprehension of Imperial double-agents or “dealing with” rogue rebel cells or personnel whose behavior (like Saw Guerrera’s) threatens to damage the Alliance’s reputation. Below are the members of the "Aurek" squad:

Kaydo Romalez – former Stormtrooper squad commander, stationed in Jedha city. His squad was away from the city hunting for the Partisans when the Empire decided to test their super weapon, so his squad survived the blast, but the rest of their detachment was destroyed as the imperial commanders failed to evacuate the resident garrison. Angered over the callous disregard of the lives of his fellow soldiers Kaydo finally turned his back on the Empire. Concerned over reprisals from angry and frightened survivors, the stormtroopers set aside their armor and went their separate ways. Kaydo was injured in the seismic upheaval following the Death Star experiment, and was found and treated by:

Indo Hebar – Abednedo former Partisan and field medic who grew weary of Saw Guerrera’s increasing recklessness and indiscriminate violence. He abandoned the group during one of its many raids, making his home in the desert wilds of the planet while trying to figure out “his place in the galaxy.” After discovering and treating Kaydo, the two created the Jedha Phantoms, tracking down Kaydo’s former squad mates to fill out their ranks.

Isakk Andrus – Isakk’s father was an Imperial explosives engineer, while located on Mimban, his father was executed for treason because he objected to the forced subjugation of the Mimbanese, arguing instead that proper mining practices could benefit the Mimbanese and Empire alike. These events turned Isakk against the Empire and he has brought his substantial explosives expertise (learned from his father) to the Jedha Phantoms.

Ebrid Korlona - (Jedha Phantom) Taking an exchange course at the University of Rudrig in the Tion Hegemony, Ebrid was off world when her home planet Alderaan was destroyed, killing her entire family. Her father was an avid hunter and took her on expeditions as soon as she was able to keep quiet. As a result, she excels at stealth and is an expert tracker. She fights with the Phantoms in memory of her home planet.

All four figures use Vertex elements (two are just the Vertex figure). Indo uses the C'ai Threnalli head and a comm. set built from elements of a Chap Mei walkie talkie and plastic cord. Ebrid uses the Vertex head and the new Cara Dune body.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 10:55:18 PM by Starchaser »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #683 on: April 17, 2020, 06:41:46 AM »
Wow, I have been wondering what you have been up too. It is a customs bonanza in here this morning. Man, just great work. I like it all. Off to share some of it.

Really like how you redid your Khin'ju Alu'tharen!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #684 on: April 17, 2020, 11:14:04 AM »
Very cool figures! The Phantoms are really awesome. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the Khin'ju that's pretty cool. The headsculpt and paint make it look almost real in the photo, especially with the natural background. Great job on the Chewie too, they're all great.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #685 on: April 17, 2020, 06:00:05 PM »
Wow, I have been wondering what you have been up too. It is a customs bonanza in here this morning. Man, just great work. I like it all. Off to share some of it.

Really like how you redid your Khin'ju Alu'tharen!

Very cool figures! The Phantoms are really awesome. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the Khin'ju that's pretty cool. The headsculpt and paint make it look almost real in the photo, especially with the natural background. Great job on the Chewie too, they're all great.

Thanks guys! Glad you like the update. I'm really happy with how the new Khin'ju turned out as well. I might switch his boot feet out for cat feet if I can find I pair that will work the way I want - in the meantime I like him a lot. I'm happy with the Phantoms, too. That whole concept came together pretty fast and wasn't overwhelming to execute. Thanks again for the feedback.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #686 on: April 17, 2020, 07:21:30 PM »
Nice update, Starchaser! I like the way the guild hunter turned out. I wasn't familiar with Vi Moradi until looking her up after seeing your custom, and you've done a nice job updating her as well. Love the colors. If you dremeled in the arm sockets a bit to narrow the shoulders, I think you'd be pleased with the outcome. My favorite of your Jedha Phantoms has to Ebrid: the Cara body looks great in red & black!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #687 on: April 17, 2020, 09:46:46 PM »
Nice update, Starchaser! I like the way the guild hunter turned out. I wasn't familiar with Vi Moradi until looking her up after seeing your custom, and you've done a nice job updating her as well. Love the colors. If you dremeled in the arm sockets a bit to narrow the shoulders, I think you'd be pleased with the outcome. My favorite of your Jedha Phantoms has to Ebrid: the Cara body looks great in red & black!

Thanks Aude. I was really happy with Ebrid. Thanks for the thought on Vi. The torso is the 5POA Rose "Battle for Crait" figure, which is the hard and brittle plastic. Dremeling that particular plastic is more "touchy" than the usual SA figures. I may go back later and try to trim the sockets out, but for now I'm going to let it go.

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #688 on: April 21, 2020, 12:59:55 AM »
I got nothing to add that they other's haven't already said.  The Phantoms are an awesome looking batch.  I love the colors on your stuff, as always.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #689 on: April 21, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »
I got nothing to add that they other's haven't already said.  The Phantoms are an awesome looking batch.  I love the colors on your stuff, as always.

Thanks M - I am really happy that I was able to virtually match the Vertex colors on the Cara Dun body - I was worried. I'm satisfied with the Phantoms, though I may add one more member. Decided today to "store" them in the Rogue One Imperial Assault Tank, I think I'll keep it that way :) (somehow seems fitting)