Author Topic: Starchaser's Custom Thread  (Read 186728 times)

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
Re: Starchaser's Custom Thread
« Reply #660 on: December 28, 2019, 01:26:17 AM »
Another outstanding figure.
The background stories are always very interesting and worth reading.
Excellent work

Thanks Fiala. I really appreciate the feedback. I enjoy creating the backstories for these characters.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #661 on: January 01, 2020, 06:49:25 PM »
First post of 2020, though technically last custom of 2019 (finished it last night).

Vi Moradi (from Galaxy's Edge):

Recipe:
Head (hands and gun belt) = Marvel Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson version) - I might lighten the skin tone
Torso = Rose "Battle on Crait" 4-pack (cut up - its a brittle plastic body, which doesn't work well for boil-and-pop)
Legs = from the fodder bin (one of the secondary characters, but can't remember which - originally blue in color)
Arms/Jacket = Cassian Andor (Walmart Black Series)
Blaster pistol from the fodder bin; stun baton built from a light-saber handle and the barrel from the break-apart rifle that came with the Walmart Black Series Cassian and Jyn.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #662 on: January 01, 2020, 11:52:50 PM »
I like the bits of blue in the hair! Looks pretty cool (and different). Can't wait to see what you bring to the table for 2020.
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #663 on: January 02, 2020, 12:35:22 AM »
I like the bits of blue in the hair! Looks pretty cool (and different). Can't wait to see what you bring to the table for 2020.

Thanks, RC. The character has blue, so it was fun to add in. I hope to finish a few old projects, some EU characters and some original characters. So it'll be interesting to see what I manage to get to.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #664 on: January 02, 2020, 06:37:51 AM »
I agree, that hair work is fantastic. Off to the front pages.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #665 on: January 02, 2020, 11:59:10 PM »
I agree, that hair work is fantastic. Off to the front pages.

Thanks, Tamer. I'm not hopeful that we will get Galaxy's Edge figures, and I think Disney is missing out on an opportunity with these (just like with The Mandalorian and the new movies) - but I thought I could  pull this one off.

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #666 on: January 03, 2020, 03:48:20 AM »
Nice.  I think you did a good job on the two toned hair.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #667 on: January 18, 2020, 04:13:43 PM »
Nice.  I think you did a good job on the two toned hair.

Thanks Moronarama!

For your enjoyment:

There are several things going on here:
1) Dan posted on the Facebook page about the Lanard "The Corps" Aliens figures. Well I found them at Walmart and bought the set with the vehicle. Its in the picture so that people can get a sense of its true (much smaller than accurate) scale. For purists the APC will simply be too small, but it totally works as a two person armed vehicle for Star Wars.

2) The Fortnite figures continue to offer some great options for us in the face of Hasbro doing so poorly in producing 3 3/4" figures. I have included a Vertex figure from the "Turbo builder" set to show how well he fits in as an armored mercenary or something. I really like this figure's design and articulation. It currently only comes in the "Turbo builder" two-pack along with weapons and lots of connectable squares for buildings and the like. Ordinarily I wouldn't buy such a set for one figure, but Amazon currently has the set listed for $15.99 (https://amzn.to/38lfrdE), which is just a bit above a Star Wars figure and it comes with accessories and another figure that will probably by the base for a custom (its a rabbit suit, which I find silly, but the body looks useful for sculpting on). I've added a First Order Stormtrooper for size comparison.

3) I have included a WIP of an Abednedo head on the Vertex body and will eventually have a back story as I create a mecenary (or Resistance commando) unit out of the Vertex armor. Well, there you have it for now.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:15:52 AM by Tamer »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #668 on: January 19, 2020, 06:50:59 AM »
Interesting to see the size comparison and that new figure too. Thanks to Starchaser for the amazon link.

https://amzn.to/38lfrdE
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:16:54 AM by Tamer »

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #669 on: January 21, 2020, 03:18:06 PM »
Amazing work!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #670 on: January 21, 2020, 03:24:04 PM »
Agreed! Those figures do look great for Star Wars! The Fortinte figures have never been appealing to me so far, but these are! Man, 16 bucks instead of 40? That's quite a drop. Thinking of Hasbro charging that amount for a single Vintage figure here in Germany now...18,99€ - that's 20 bucks for a 3.75" figure!?
I think I'll get this set. Thanks for the info, gentlemen!

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
« Reply #671 on: January 23, 2020, 08:02:07 AM »
Great figures, I think the Abednado looks great.  I've picked up some clearanced Fortnite figures and been trying to figure out how to work them into my customs.  I think the Visitor figure has a lot of potential.  I also snagged one of the new Lanard Alien sets.  I was a little disappointed that weren't screwbacks, only because that makes them easier to use.  I do think that APC fits well with Star Wars figures.  And of course the great thing about Lanard is the figures are inexpensive.  I hope Hasbro starts listening to the fans and gets their act together with the 3.75 lines.  I'd much rather see some aliens than another version of the main human cast.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #672 on: January 29, 2020, 06:11:10 PM »
Interesting to see the size comparison and that new figure too. Thanks to Starchaser for the amazon link.

https://amzn.to/38lfrdE

Thanks Tamer.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #673 on: January 29, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
Agreed! Those figures do look great for Star Wars! The Fortinte figures have never been appealing to me so far, but these are! Man, 16 bucks instead of 40? That's quite a drop. Thinking of Hasbro charging that amount for a single Vintage figure here in Germany now...18,99€ - that's 20 bucks for a 3.75" figure!?
I think I'll get this set. Thanks for the info, gentlemen!

Thanks Philipp. I haven't been too interested in the Fortnite figures, except as fodder. There are several that might work in this way - The Visitor figure and this Vertex figure in particular. Eventually I'll have some spare time to figure out how I'm using the other figure in the pack, but in the meantime, I've got Vertex, Vertex two and Abednedo Vertex (maybe I'll just call this mercenary team "Vertices").
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:30:27 PM by Starchaser »