Author Topic: Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance - Does anyone still play this game?  (Read 5938 times)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance - Does anyone still play this game?
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
Does anyone play this game, or has played it before? It was released in 1999, but here it is, 2010 and I'm still playing it. Out of all my Star Wars items, this was one of the best investments I made. I'm just curious to see who has this awesome game.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:18:50 AM by hangarbay94 »
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:23:58 PM »
I still have it as well, but it's been in the attic for years. I agree, XWA is probably the best game LucasArts ever made, along with X-Wing and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:33:12 PM »
I have it. Will it still load up on a Windows XP computer. Its hard to believe so many of my cdrom games are for windows 95 and 98!

BTW, thanks for that video. Got it loaded up on our FP!

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »
Not a problem with the video Tamer.

I had Windows XP and XWA worked fine on it. Now I got Windows 7, I had to burn the game to a blank CD because my PC is 64-bit. It was a bit of a pain but in the end I got it to work.

Do any of you guys modify the game at all? I post over at XWA Upgrade and XWA Legacy. Those are the 2 main gatherings for the XWA community, but Legacy is rather dead. Upgrade is the most active board. A few mods I have on my game are the craft updates, which gives the majority of the crafts updated textures which look awesome, the Endor voice mod which replaces the stock Endor voices with voices from the movie, new crafts (R-22 Spearhead, Naboo, Vader's TIE, Clone Wars Y-Wing, E-Wing) as well as my custom Battle of Yavin shipset which you can find on my youtube channel (split up into 3 parts).

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 09:24:09 AM »
I have all my cds at work as that is the only place I have access to old comps. I am gonna take that one home and see if I can get it to load up. I need a good joystick again too I guess. Its been awhile since I have played it. Sounds great on those enhanced graphics too.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 03:27:03 AM »
Goldleader, I can't live without this game...It would be like having to live without copies of the movies.

Mods installed:
Ultimate Craft Pack
Widescreen Mod

Only thing I wish someone would do is a better Starfield, with lots more stars.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:37:35 PM »
Just got your PM Julian, here's the link to the step by step process that I followed. Hope this helps!

http://www.markusegger.at/Software/XwaMsi/Instructions.html

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 06:23:28 AM »
I hate to admit I never played any of these games. From the reviews I may have to look into getting them onto my comp.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:27:38 AM »
Recon, you haven't experienced Star Wars until you play X-WIng alliance.

A lot of gamers were put off by the complicated flight system, almost every key on the keyboard plus a joystick and mouse were needed, but after a few goes and a bit of determination it was a joy to play.

The game was so complex and immersive you couldn't help get totally absorbed, it even had a reactive soundtrack, so it even felt like you were in a movie. The Cutscenes were like seeing something from a Star Wars movie that they never released and the storyline was imaginative and well played out.

I've not played a better game since. If Lucas Arts had any sense thay'd update and release a new version, even a Clone Wars flight sim. With today's HD graphics it would be something to behold.

I recently dug out my old XWA disc and am replaying the game from the start. It still hasn't lost any of it's charm as the gameplay is what makes it so special, the graphics are good enough to carry it even 10 years after it's release.

If you want to see what all of the fuss is about click on the links below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgOdwjAT7Qc&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R77yH1_g_cY
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 09:32:06 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 07:16:28 PM »
Ok, so this is an old post, and yea I know, I'm banging on about X-Wing Alliance again...but hey, how many other 13-year old games still have an active modding community? and how many free-flight X-Wing sims are there available? none as far as I'm aware...

I've just managed to get my old game working on my Windows 7 PC and applied the Widescreen Hex edit, so now the game looks fantastic. There has been some recent activity on the upgrade front as Darksabre has released version 2 of his upgrade pack, and X-Wing Alliance Upgrade have been releasing a ton of new and re-worked ships making the game look stunning (see images below), so I'd definitely recommend giving the game a new look over.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 05:07:17 AM »
Wow. Those ships look awesome.

You can get the cd to load this up on Windows 7?!

I am going to go to work today to get my original copy. This would be cool to play again. What type of joystick or control do you use to fly this on your pc too Jules?

Hope you don't mind my questions. I did enjoy these games. I have them all!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »
Shawn, getting it to run on Windows 7 was tricky, I'll re trace the web link with the details here in the next day or two.

I've also managed to get it working in widescreen at1440 x 900, playing the game and seeing everything crystal clear really is a sight to behold. I'll post links to that hack too.

J

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »
I have a hdmi hook up on this laptop so if I could get it to go on here I could hook it up to my 55 inch HDTV and really get back into this.

Also, if you have any joysticks you recommend to work well this I would take advice there too. I loved this PC Game.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 08:37:19 AM »
How's about this for a large screen setup...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M54FEBsUegI The reactive soundtrack really adds to the game

For joystick I'd recommend the Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO lots of buttons that you can allocate functions to, plus a throttle and top hat for all round vision.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 08:38:39 AM »
I plan on trying to pick one up the next time I hit any type of Tech Store or Wally World. That is some set up!