Poll

What do you think about Disney buying Lucasfilm?

Its the best news I have heard all year
3 (12%)
Cautiously optimistic
13 (52%)
Not sure
7 (28%)
Probably a bad idea
1 (4%)
Horrible news, Star Wars is dead!
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm  (Read 5124 times)

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »
Im not sure but i don't think they can stop people from making customs for fun and  as long as they don't sell them for money.  I think it will be really hard for people who commission their work though . That may be a problem

Offline M4K3R1

• "FEAR IS OUR ALLY"
  • Lieutenant
  • "CODE OF THE SITH ORDER"
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 01:45:09 AM »
I hope, and really dont think that Disney would go as far as restricting websites from continueing as they have. Surelly Lucas would have mentioned to Disney that he would like things to continue as they have for the www. I think that Disney has considered this and would not want the bad press and public backlash from taking a heavy hand aproach. In my opinion if Disney is prepared to go that path, then it would seriouslly negativelly affect the new aquisition they have made in buying SW.
After all, sites such as this one, promote their product, add to their sales, and carry many repeat customers who buy the toys and other merchandise.
Free publicity, versus, bad press.
Disney, you need to make the right choice here.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 07:10:55 AM »
Honestly, I've heard about these "cease and desist" letters concerning customs, and I'm not 100% buying those either.  Honestly, there's nothing they can do about it legally.  Unless a person is mass producing something, which to my knowledge no one has a factory in their garage, they can't stop art, it's a matter of Constitutional rights at that point.  Besides, the money wasted in court for something like that is astronomically redundant. 

Well, It's been a few days, and no cat let out of the bag about it being a hoax, so it appears as though I have to eat my words.  I'm ok with it.  The timing, low-ball selling price, and announcement of a 2015 movie are still completely insane, to me, but I'm no Hollywood exec, either.  So with that in mind, I have no idea what to think.  I really don't think we'll see a change in much of anything, other than an onslaught of new avenues and merchandising.  I don't see them trying to shut down fan sites, or telling people they can't customize anymore, etc.  Remember, the internet is NOT formally governed by any sanctioned policiing agency, there is no law on the internet.  They'd again waste SO much money trying to fight them all, and while they obviously have that kind of money, it'd really put a hurting on their popularity of their new franchise.

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »
Honestly, I've heard about these "cease and desist" letters concerning customs, and I'm not 100% buying those either.  Honestly, there's nothing they can do about it legally.  Unless a person is mass producing something, which to my knowledge no one has a factory in their garage, they can't stop art, it's a matter of Constitutional rights at that point.  Besides, the money wasted in court for something like that is astronomically redundant. 

Not doubting your word but can you actually name someone who got one of thoses.  I know there was this urban legend about Hasbro shutting down all the GI Joe and Transformer fan sites that turned out to be nothing at all.  When someone finally cornered Hasbro about it they knew nothing about it at all.  Turned out it was just a disgruntaled fanboy who was an admin of a fan site, no clue where other "cease and desist" E-mails came in at though, that mystery was never solved. 

Point being is that there is alreay a set of presidents for Disney not touching a thing, Marvel, Pixar, Muppets, ect.  Those fandoms have been going and in fact growing since Disney's aquisition, I think we are panicing here people.  Disney has never tried to stop MU or Marvel Legends customs nor have I ever heard of anyone getting a cease and desist for selling them.   I will believe it when I see it (and fight it tooth and nail LOL). 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »
We talked a little bit about this when Chad and I interviewed Sillof for Custom Action Figure News if anyone wants to re-listen.

And as far as I know Hasbro has never done this, just Disney. I do agree though that all of this is conjecture at this point and doing something like that would be paramount to the biggest blunder in business there is.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 10:01:50 AM »
I will feel better when I see or hear a press release that they are pretty much gonna leave the fan groups alone. That quote by Mary Franklin didn't reassure me much, but it is way too early to tell. I don't see why they would kick a proverbial gift horse in the mouth, but I also know that Disney has teams of lawyers whose sole job is to go after people they feel are infringing on their property: which will soon mean Star Wars.

People in the 501st are also worried of what will be happening to them. Also the unlicensed armor and helmet creators...
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 03:39:48 AM »
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline M4K3R1

• "FEAR IS OUR ALLY"
  • Lieutenant
  • "CODE OF THE SITH ORDER"
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 01:14:48 AM »
Serg, thanks for the interesting read.  WOW 12 chapters of Star Wars in the works. Now that is something indeed.
I was surprised at the Director's they are thinking of using, Joe Johnston should have been on  the list, but there is definatelly many great names in there.
I also read on another forum that Disney is now in talks, and wanting to aquire Hasbro. I wonder if that will affect the production of Toys/ action figures that would acompany the new movies. I wonder if Disney would produce the same quantities of toys as Hasbro do, or if it would limit the amounts produced.
I am thinking that the new movies will be awesome, as it seems that Disney is going all in with their SW aquisition.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:17:11 AM by M4K3R1 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 07:32:14 AM »

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 08:08:21 AM »
That is very interesting! Wish they told their fans though!
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline benjani_1976

• Colonel
  • Banksy = star wars LEGEND
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »
Those sources look good to me,6 films and live action series for starters. Not sure how the original cast will work though,all too old now for any film from 4-20aby,legacy era yes but early days of a new republic/NJO it'll take a damn good make up artist and personal trainer.

Still hoping for news of an old republic film or a trilogy.