Poll

What do you think about Disney buying Lucasfilm?

Its the best news I have heard all year
3 (12%)
Cautiously optimistic
13 (52%)
Not sure
7 (28%)
Probably a bad idea
1 (4%)
Horrible news, Star Wars is dead!
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 05:46:51 AM »
Guys, another thing to keep in mind, is that both Disney and Lucasfilm are publicly traded entities.  There has to be discussion between both parties, a tentative agreement, and then a waiting period where they have to present these things to the stockholders and hold a vote.  None of these things have happened.  It took several months to buy Marvel, from when they started talking about it until it was finalized.  It took almost a whole year to buy Pixar.  These things cannot legally happen overnight.   If it remains as it is by the weekend, I'll eat my words, but I'm betting the rest of this year's salary that this is a Halloween TRICK!

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 06:45:52 AM »
Hey Phatty you made a great point. But knowing Disney and How their empire is , they are gonna push real hard for it and i am sure it is already in the bag . Ilm /Lucas film  imo is alot bigger then marvel though, Forgive me all you marvel fans lol . and the majority of movies today that have special effects usually go through ilm and lucasfilm . Disney Knows that they scored a gold mine.  What worries me is there is gonna be so much hype, alot of great products etc . But Us hardcore fans are gonna be let down. An  Example... John Carter now i know that you cant compare the two, but i believe Disney  at one point was comparing that to Avatar  and it was a let down. . Tamer made a great point also when he said " Mark Franklin did suggest the number of SW licensees will be reduced. Disney has a tight hold on their stuff They control everything how little or how much gets made . And that goes back to my point from earlier  How much before it is overkill, how much before that magic  is gone . I dont want you all to think im bashing Disney and it sound like i am but i am just being cautious . thats all

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 07:05:32 AM »
As I already said here in another topic I'm an OT fan, I grew up with it, and PT was a disappointment for me in most cases. Not sure what to think about the Disney future of Star Wars. Hope it will be ok, but even if it goes belly up, I still have my OT.
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »
I think this will be a good thing and I say bring on a TOR movie that looks like the cinematic trailers we all flipped out over.

Offline benjani_1976

• Colonel
  • Banksy = star wars LEGEND
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »
I think this will be a good thing and I say bring on a TOR movie that looks like the cinematic trailers we all flipped out over.

With the popularity of the mmorpg games and the old republic lego kits hitting the shelves I say it's likely to see a KOTOR film or 2 on the horizon.........I'd really like to see a republic commando series to cover what was published, and the book that was cancelled.

And plenty of mando action,then there's the rise of Boba Fett......I think we'll be seeing more of young Daniel Logan in the near future,a young boba fett (a hugely popular SW character) from the days surrounding the end of the republic growing up under imperial rule seems a disney film certainty.

but i'm still cautiously optimistic,live action...........not my cup of tea but only time will tell

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 03:26:18 PM »
A part of me wishes that the OT should have been left alone and remain movie legends, but another part of me is very excited at the prospect of someone doing justice to the Star Wars legacy. At the end of the day, this is the news that we have all been waiting for, it will bring new fans to the table and feed our insatiable appetite. 

Personally I'll miss the 20th Century Fox fanfare at the start of the movies, they always remind me of how excited I was seeing the original films, but that aside I can't wait for Ep7...I've got a good feeling about this one!

Offline Rodger

• WoodGuy
  • Commander
  • Jedi Master of Wood and Light
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
I feel my enthusiasm will grow as my wallet shrinks ;D
The New Sandcrawler Workshop on Facebook

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 03:11:17 AM »
I will feel better when I see or hear a press release that they are pretty much gonna leave the fan groups alone. That quote by Mary Franklin didn't reassure me much, but it is way too early to tell. I don't see why they would kick a proverbial gift horse in the mouth, but I also know that Disney has teams of lawyers whose sole job is to go after people they feel are infringing on their property: which will soon mean Star Wars.

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 03:25:06 AM »

If ISY was called the Star Wars fan club, I agree Disney lawyers may say hello, but its not, ultimately its a non profit fan club, set up after the official one was closed by loyal fans, so I dont think they will give ISY any real trouble as we are their customers, it wouldnt be good business practice! :)
I keep hearing how bad John Carter was, but have you seen the original film, the princess of mars? Its a hell of an improvement on that! Lol!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 04:54:51 AM »
Personally I liked John Carter, but I like anything sci-fi.

We will just have to see on the fan sites.

Offline benjani_1976

• Colonel
  • Banksy = star wars LEGEND
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 08:22:19 AM »
if Disney make a film around 100yrs ABY Hamill could easily reprise his role as an elderly Skywalker jedi master,watched airborne last night...........jeez he looks older than yoda :o

the green guy was right,when 900 yrs old you reach,look as good you will not....hmm

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »
I will feel better when I see or hear a press release that they are pretty much gonna leave the fan groups alone. That quote by Mary Franklin didn't reassure me much, but it is way too early to tell. I don't see why they would kick a proverbial gift horse in the mouth, but I also know that Disney has teams of lawyers whose sole job is to go after people they feel are infringing on their property: which will soon mean Star Wars.

Really they have only gone after "House made properties", Micky, Donald, Goofy, ect.  They've done nothing like this with Pixar, Marvel or other aquired properties.  In fact marvel fan sites have exploded under the Disney ownership and it looks like it's not going to slow down.  However, I doubt SW could ever reach that explosion as they seem to have already been established at this point. 

Personally I liked John Carter, but I like anything sci-fi.

To each thier own, honestly I thought the movie had tons of potential but failed to deliever, the mains were just cardboard cutouts with no personality and tossing in the grey dudes through the focus of the movie off from what the book was, there was tons of things that could have been done better IMO. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Zed,

I know of customizers who were sent cease and desist letters for customizing marvel characters as well as various artwork after Disney took over Marvel. I agree I don't think they will go after various individuals, but they just might a site that promotes this type of thing. ;)

Its still too early to tell though. And as far as John Carter I sometimes think we are too critical and some of us will never be happy with whatever they decide to do with Episodes 7,8, and 9.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »
I wouldn't worry about that Tamer, Hangarbay would be able to re-imagine the site so that it won't infringe any rules...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 02:58:01 PM »
I wouldn't worry about that Tamer, Hangarbay would be able to re-imagine the site so that it won't infringe any rules...

LOL. I like the way you think Jules.