Poll

What do you think about Disney buying Lucasfilm?

Its the best news I have heard all year
3 (12%)
Cautiously optimistic
13 (52%)
Not sure
7 (28%)
Probably a bad idea
1 (4%)
Horrible news, Star Wars is dead!
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Disney buys Lucasfilm
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:47:35 PM »
I am still trying to take this in, but wanted to put this up here for folks to vote and put their thoughts down on this acquistion.

Right now I am sure wondering what it means to be a SW Site Owner in addition to a Collector.

Disney bought out Lucasfilm for around $4 billion today. And they have announced an Episode 7 for sometime in 2015!

Read the full details:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/30/technology/disney-buys-lucasfilm/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

And its supposedly the start of a new trilogy with new movies every two to three years after that!

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 04:57:39 PM »
i know  i thought my mate was pulling my leg when he told   ,part of me still cant believe it ...
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »
AS long as Disney doesn't send cease and desist letters to all us Star Wars customizers like they did to Sillof with his Marvel figures, I'll be looking forward to it.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »
i think that considering there were customizing panels at CVI that would be really really dumb as its a massive community
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »
I caught this as well. I am juiced at the aspect of new star wars movies.
http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=17601151

Offline kreeper2

• Brigadier
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:40:42 PM »
it could be good for the series Disney loves to make movies that they know will make money and that people will go see. On the merchandizing end hopefully they can be a bigger influence on hasbro to put out better and different selections. As long as they dont make it to kiddieish.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
I think this is the best news I've heard in a long time. Disney will be great stewards of the Star Wars franchise with LFL still at the creative helm. I love Disney, they've gotten a lot better in the past decade. PIXAR rules! MARVEL is awesome.

(I just hope they don't let Tim Burton take a crack, and PLEASE no Johnny Depp as Han Solo)

Other wise THIS is what I know...

I WILL LIVE to see another Star Wars film. HOORAH!

By the way I'm off to Disney World in a couple of weeks with the family. Thanksgiving at Disney World.

Offline Mr.Mandalore

• Lieutenant
  • Galatic Marines, extraordinarly perfect.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:35:10 PM »
as long as disney doesnt ruin the franchise by making it to repetitive i think ill be alright.

who knows maybe there will be one about republic commandos  ()rr

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »
i am happy that a new star wars trilogy is in the works but at the same time very cautious . I wonder if any of you all share these same points as me , please let me know. This is my opinion , and you can disagree with me , i have no problem with that, so....  I am like most of you all here am  a purist when it comes to Star Wars. I love the original three movies and never get tired of them . I don't hate episodes 1-3 i actually enjoy them. I love collecting/ customizing figures otherwise i would not be here. But i am upset a bit at how  commercial Star wars has become over the years. I feel alot of the magic and mystery has been taken away . IT seems now that everyone wants on board which is cool because it shows just how powerful and important Star wars is in our world/ lives. I feel that  Disney has potential, i just see it also going in a different direction then George Lucas's vision . I saw that he will be a consultant on the new films  but how long before he get board or Disney kind of pushes him aside. I am trying to be brief with this as i can go on and on but  I think this would be a great discussion to continue with everybody. you all made good points  . What do you all think ? And btw  DarthSinister  i could'nt agree with you more no too Tim Burton and Johny depp as well as Helena Bonham carter

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:32:32 PM »
Hey mr.Jedi77'... you know me, I'm like you. OT all the way. We've even discussed this on my thread so you know I'm not a great fan of the PT.   

The way I see it though, is we're going to get a lot more films, cartoons and TV shows. Some of these will not be quite my taste, but some will hit em' outta the park. That being said I'm willing to take the good with the bad when it comes to Star Wars.

Disney also has some pretty good director attached to them. With a product like Star Wars they will most likely put their best on them to start. Maybe John Favrueu, Gore Verbinski perhaps.

Two words: more figures!
I can't wait to see how this will change the toys. Hey since Disney owns LFL and MARVEL now do you think that means we'll see MARVEL comics era Star Wars figures now?

Also will we see the release of the "Holiday Special"?

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
Herd the news a hour ago. Not sure how I feel though.
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline ScreamingSamuraiStudio

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 08:34:57 PM »
Just let it sink in a little, Mando.
  But judging by the success of the Marvel franchise since being acquired by Disney, one has to be a little optimistic for the future of Star Wars. Disney has been able to churn out a couple of good movies without stomping all over the source material provided by Marvel.

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 12:25:45 AM »
Im sure it was a good retirement plan for George! Lol!
Disney has certainly done a good job on the Pixar & Marvel films & are very keen to make a profit, so its likely they will listen to all the feedback to ensure it works out for them, so I doubt jar jar will be getting more than a walk on part in future films! Lol!
But whether you like the idea or loath it, you can guarentee there will at least be some new films & all the new merchandise that goes with them! So im quietly optimistic about it all! :)

Offline M4K3R1

• "FEAR IS OUR ALLY"
  • Lieutenant
  • "CODE OF THE SITH ORDER"
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 03:24:36 AM »
It can only be good news. Nothing negative can come from this. Just take a look at what Disneys movies have been like latelly,(Marvel Movies), now picture new Star Wars movies done the same way. AWESOME!!!!!!!
Episode's 7 in 2015, episode 8 and 9 to follow in a Trilogy format. A new movie every 2nd year after that. We can all safelly say that  New Star Wars movies will be coming for the next 10 years.
Now that is good news.
And off course all the new toys that will follow the new movies. Start saving those pennies, it's going to be very expensive, but worthwhile.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 03:27:46 AM »
AS long as Disney doesn't send cease and desist letters to all us Star Wars customizers like they did to Sillof with his Marvel figures, I'll be looking forward to it.

Probably one of my biggest worries too. From what I understand the costuming groups are ok, but Mark Franklin did suggest the number of SW licensees will be reduced. What that means to us remains to be seen. I would also think all "unofficial" SW Fan Sitesl ike ours are now in question too.