Author Topic: Luke Sprywalker Dioramas Updated 2-6 Han in carbonite display!  (Read 77650 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Luke Sprywalker Dioramas
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2010, 06:28:34 AM »
Michael, yes there are many different way's to customise things. If you don't have the funds to buy figures go to thrift stores every week with about $5 and you will come home with some great items to work on. I have been thinking about starting a thread about my thrift store finds and what I do with them...could be interesting.

Over the weekend I put a few more things together, finished the computers and got most of the figures I want to use out of various bins. Did a few head/parts swaps and not too much painting. I have been trying to decide what to do with the upper right section of this dio and finally decided on a medical bay.

This is a shot of how I modified the turrets for 2 gunner stations.

Here it is in action...

Now I would like some constructive criticism/ ideas of what I should add to make it complete/look more realistic. The main thing that bothers me is the blank walls on the upper sections. The only thing I came up with is to add some fairly thick guage wires to simulate piping. On the other hand I don't want the tactical room to look like Hoth.  Any ideas?

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2010, 06:54:07 AM »
how about some electrical wire in and around the room ie: walls, floor,  to each console, some air hose's as well... some power droids...

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2010, 06:57:22 AM »
I don't know that there is anything I don't like about this. Every update just ingrains it more to me. I love the gunner station, the computer console station, and the medical bays. It is a rebel playset we wish we all had. I love the fact that  you show us what to do and have turned trash into riches so to speak with some of the great things you have made to go with this.

Now if I were to critique anything, it would be I would have left that bad boy white and perhaps on the floor I would have added something that looked like metal grateing. LOL. Yeah, I know, I am Hoth crazy. Maybe it has something to do with all the snow out there now.  All joking aside, seeing this makes me envision if I could actually make something like this with perhaps three to four levels for my dio display cabinet and I aim to try it one day. Thanks for sharing it with us and ofcourse I am going to the fp to spread the word.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »
Yep, I knew we could expect a hothish response from Shawn and I do concur with his response and think that the wiring/piping you mentioned is what the walls need. I like the control area and like how the multiple star trek panels work together. You could always add a closed door to break that one wall up. This is a great looking project and a nice way to display some figures as well as your craftmanship.

Offline clonemedic96

• Captain
  • "Hey Sev, This one looks like your mother."-Scorch
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2010, 09:16:48 AM »
that looks awesome dude!

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2010, 11:39:59 AM »
How about computer boards on the Back Walls of the Tactical Room, Maybes some viewscreens on there as well.

I like the piping suggestion, however you run the risk of it looking like Hoth, however I also like the grating suggestion that has been mentioned, if you make some of the floor look more metallic and add some see through mesh in there as well, which you can look down and see the lower levels, how do they get up the the higher levels (put a lift/elevator in), put some free standing walkways in it, leading maybes to a part thats free standing from the base.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2010, 11:53:49 AM »
Excellent dio Luke. I really like all your Rebell dios and I hope we'll see alot more in the future.
These rocks look so realistic, it's just amazing.

great job
10/10

Offline lambonspit

• Custom Vehicle Mistro!!
  • Lieutenant
  • "Execute Order 66"
    • lambonspit reviews and customs
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »
How about computer boards on the Back Walls of the Tactical Room, Maybes some viewscreens on there as well.

I really love the dio so far and i have to agree with Climter. Some viewscreens on the back wall would be killer!! How big is the dio so far?

Gun, Trigger, Pull

Offline pedro1138

• Ensign
  • Time to pay up, Hutt. I don't work for free.
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2010, 07:04:59 AM »
If you want something simple and not Echo base like to break up that wall I would suggest something I think is called a tote board. At air bases, at least the ones I've seen is Austraila which are pretty low tech (we are on the frontier after all), They have a big white board with a list of planes and their pilots and call signs, status and flight numbers and stuff on it. Maybe something like that could be what your after. Would be pretty simple to make and would contrast with your wall colour nicely.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
Thanks for the great ideas. I have been working all day creating many of the things you guys have described with a few ideas I had mocked up after the last post. I will be burning the midnight oil doing some weathering. Most everything is set up and I will be taking the final photos tomorrow.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
ssshhheeewwww! I am done with my dio for the contest at GTG...

My diorama is modular and collapsable. It can be used for Star wars or GI Joes all you need to do is swap out the proper background filler, vehicles and figures. It is for my son and I to play with and reenact scenes or make up our own. For this contest I decided to use it as X-Wing Rogue Squadron's Rebel Base and repair/build facility. You can see many vehicles built by their mechanic/droid builder/vehicle designer, you may also notice his pet and his own version of the invisible fence. On the storage rack you can find storage containers, medical unit, stolen speeders and various other items as things come and go. Several of them can be attached to the tank tread flat bed which it driven by the shuttle you see in front of the treads. Beside the storage area is the mechanics bay full of various droids he built and all the tools he needs to keep the squad up and running. The upper level features a tactical room with computers and view screens. Mechanical room/hallway, access to the stolen AT-ST, and a medical bay. The far end of the hanger is where the pilots are picked up and transfered to their vehicles. You can see the opening to the hallway that goes to the mess hall and their berrics. Now for the pics...

This last pic is not so great but it shows the led light I used over the workbench. It is on in all the pics but doesn't show up much.

Offline clonemedic96

• Captain
  • "Hey Sev, This one looks like your mother."-Scorch
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o O MY GOD! thats incredible! the finished product is one of the best dio's iv ever seen! are those rebel technician guys custom?

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »
dude if you dont win that contest then the people voting are bloody blind... the detail in the Dio is sensational!!! it such a busy base of operations, i hate to imagine them packing up an moving if the imperials found there location, loving the floor detail and all the racks, and i also notice all the containers you made awhile ago, if i could i would vote 100 times just to make sure you won with all the hard work you put into this, you deserve it!! 

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline lambonspit

• Custom Vehicle Mistro!!
  • Lieutenant
  • "Execute Order 66"
    • lambonspit reviews and customs
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »
 :o!!! Amazing!! I am truly left speechless by the detail and size of this diorama. Love the paint scheme, the layout and all the custom bits and pieces you've added around the place. Superb. My favourite would have to be that LED light....so envious!!

You'll definitely win!! Whats the prize if you win?

Gun, Trigger, Pull

Offline Mandalore the skepsis

• A simple man
  • Colonel
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2010, 11:02:38 PM »
dude if you dont win that contest then the people voting are bloody blind... the detail in the Dio is sensational!!! it such a busy base of operations, i hate to imagine them packing up an moving if the imperials found there location, loving the floor detail and all the racks, and i also notice all the containers you made awhile ago, if i could i would vote 100 times just to make sure you won with all the hard work you put into this, you deserve it!! 

TCC said. That dio is amazing, and so well done with so much to capture with the eyes all at once.

Man I wish I had the space, the balls and the skills to make these bad boys.

Awesome Job Luke!!!