Author Topic: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest  (Read 36941 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest
« Reply #225 on: April 03, 2011, 11:36:52 PM »
THIS IS MY ENTRY (finally)

Jo'Bray Cargo Skiff

The Jo'Bray, one of dozens of similar models available on the market, is a repulsorlift sled designed for moving smaller amounts of cargo through fairly tight quarters.  Cargo skiffs are found across the galaxy, from rental kiosks onboard space stations down to tool-hutches on frontier world settlements.  

Models are equipped with a variety of equipment, from cargo loading-arms to bulk-material dumping beds.  Some starport service providers have equipped their Jo'bray units with Vehicle Maintenance Energizers and plas-cutters.

Routinely, cargo skiffs have no propulsion units, instead requiring good old muscle-power to move.  Occasionally, an owner will install a drive-system of some sort on a Jo'Bray, but such adventures rarely end well.  Inertial compensators are installed to prevent a skiff from becoming a "runaway" on slopes.  Most children on frontier settlements know how to offline them, providing themselves hours of free-skimming excitement - and coincidentally voiding the Jo'Bray manufacturer's warranty.

In the above picture, FX-0R8 (better known as "Fixer") is attempting to cajole a recalcitrant Jo'Bray skiff along the concourse of Darknon Station, a scene taken from the fan-fic piece "Rebirth."  All cargo pieces on the skiff are custom molds from Production Platform 3.

The base vehicle is an old GI Joe Hydro-Sled, repainted and with weapons removed.  Since the back of the hydro-sled is now the front of the skiff, the movable "rudder" piece was removed.  In place of the nose machinegun is a short leg from a Probot.  I'd like to eventually make a functioning/positionable claw, but I've been putting the hours into molds and casts instead.  Anyway, it turned out rather well and looks great loaded down with cargo.  The background is made from HB94 images provided as part of the "hangarbay decals" set.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:39:57 PM by DocOutlands »

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2011, 06:27:08 AM »
Mini-Rig Submission

Pirate Speeder Bike

It was a real labor of love.  I easily put in more than 40 hours of work into this one.  I made this speeder bike from an Operation Rex toy that I saw in Target on the day that the contest was announced.   After that it was all fodder.  An everything but the kitchen sink affair.  Constructing it was an effort that was much enjoyed.   I tried to make the mini rig toy I would have wanted the most when I was a kid.  I would have preferred  to make the vehicle heavily weathered, but Elias asked me to keep it brighter.

I sculpted most of the controls, spare the Vader control pad.  I also sculpted the around grill and the front window.  Oh... and the cushioned seating, yeah, that's sculpted too.  

After that fodder galore.  An A-team special if you will.  A beater, clunker, jalopy, hooptie.  Look at your fodder and see more than what the object was meant to represent and envision what it could become with a little imagination.  The grill and window were made from a G.I. Joe radar dish I found in my fodder.  The front axles were made from two yellow missiles and a  Momaw Nadon staff that sculpted Apoxie Sculpt hydraulic shocks fastened to what once were guns that I can't identify, but I'm seeing on Luke Sprywalker's incredibely cool entry.  The nose of the speeder bike was made from a Hulk Battle Axe that  is from the  Hulk action figure everyone was turning into a Gamorean gladiator recently,  as well as , a gold plastic mask that was in a fodder bag that we got on Ebay.  The antennas at the rear are made from a Mas Ameda staff and the bottom of an Indiana Jones torch.  I even have the long white tube from a krazy glue container  glued to the bottom and painted purple to give the vehicle the shape that I wanted.  Two hilts from the Prince of Persia toy line are attached to the front of the pod with removable swords.  The Robonino backpack is removable and all his accessories are included and the vibroaxe is fastened with a clear rubber band.  The tail fin is also unidentified fodder and is sculpted in place.  The leg straps that hang down came from the guns that now hold the axel and nose in place.  A pen was  cut and painted  to attach the missile to the bike and both the missile and pen cap are removable. A Mandolorian shield is at the rear.  The engine and fire attached at the bottom are both adjustable as well as removable.  After that it was all custom painted and dressed up .

The two custom action figures that may live out there days in Star Wars, but they were definitely created by a desire to have some Dreadnoks for myself when Elias asks me to play with him.  Elias has no interest in Joes, but the Dreadnoks were my favorite action figures growing up.  I think a lot of my customs are influenced by my love for those action figures.  I remember when I got my first one , a Buzzer, as the toy was getting paid for at the counter my knees started to shake because I was so excited.  The toy created involuntary responses in me!!  Now that's toy making.  The pirates of Star Wars are the Dreadnoks of Joe.

So the Driver was created from a Koffi Arana action figure, a Star Wars drummer that was in Jabba's Palace whose name I can't remember for the life of me at the moment and fodder, fodder, fooder with an Apoxie Sculpt beard.  

The Gunner was made from a Pirates of the Caribbean Marty action figure with Apoxie Scupt hair and a Vintage Yoda robe.  Unfortunately, I dropped the gun I had for him behind the couch.  He would look awesome hanging from those leg straps in numerous different configurations.  He was made to hang about.  

I really wanted to retake the photos, for the submission, but work was out of control this week and I didn't get home until late last night.

THIS IS MY ENTRY

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:44:10 AM by darthdaddy »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #227 on: April 04, 2011, 06:31:56 AM »
Wow, how in the world are we gonna vote the winner of this one! What great entries.

Well today is the last day to get your entry in so remember to phrase your five pics with "this is my entry."

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #228 on: April 04, 2011, 07:12:27 AM »
Ah, yes, I love the last day of a comp like this one. I relly like that sled Doc! It fits in well with your collecting and many other creations and it is a perfect little mini rig. I would love to have something like this myself. I love the color choice and it gives it a vintage feel to me. All your cargo looks great on there!

Great picture selection DD! I really love your pirake ship!

I really have no clue how to pick just one of these. It will take a while for deliberation...

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #229 on: April 04, 2011, 08:29:20 AM »
Boy, that's the truth!  So many *awesome* entries that picking one is gonna be tough!  Tougher than normal, I'll add.

Offline XRFIWR

• Ensign
    • Twitter
« Reply #230 on: April 04, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »
Thanks Luke.  Seeing those last two Clone Wars episodes did give me some ideas that I couldn't update in time.  I wanted to change the color and add the search lights like they had on their overhead bar. 

The major problem I had with this vehicle is how well the it was originally put together.  No screws, just tight fitting, snap in parts, so trying to pull it apart to better do the inside and outside painting would have only served to permanently break pieces off.  the project did give me a better idea of how to do things next time in order to have tighter looking paint apps.  Glad I didn't experiment on a prized vehicle. 

My original chose for this project was to get a GI Joe Sharc, cut a droid slot on top and give it a repaint, but I couldn't track one down in time tomgetbit done. 

Great vehicles from everyone on this thread and the custom vehicles thread  Gave me a lot of inspiration for future vehicle customs. 
XRFIWR

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #231 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »
I have to say that this has been one of the best competition to date, if not the best! Every entry is so well thought out and original. There really is no clear winner and so I am very excitied to see how the voting pans out.

Doc, love the skiff by the way!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #232 on: April 04, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »
Nice cargo skiff, doc. That would look perfect preforming duties around a launch bay somewhere.

Only hours left to post your entry folks.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #233 on: April 04, 2011, 10:23:02 AM »
Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I like the size and lines of the little guy.  I suspect it will not be the last one to cross my workbench...

Offline Commander Wolffe CC #3636

• Lieutenant
« Reply #234 on: April 04, 2011, 03:54:48 PM »
THIS IS MY ENTRY part 1
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:35:37 PM by Commander Wolffe CC #3636 »

• Lieutenant
« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:00 PM »
HERE IS MY ENTRY part 2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »
the name of the clone is Clone Commando Snake and the vehicle is the AT-CAV              All Terrain Clone Attack Vehicle the commander that u see in the photoshopped picture is the Commander of the main division of the 444th squadron, his squad name is the City Strikers. Snake is the leader of the special ops division of the 444th named The King Cobras

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »
I'm not gonna make it guys.. :( had too much going on and wasn't able to finish it up, can't wait to see the winner though, a lot of great entries.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »
fantastic entries gentlemen
good luck to all participants

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #239 on: April 04, 2011, 11:17:59 PM »
always great stuff coming in at the last minute...

that tron jet looks great re-painted!  I actually picked one up for myself recently and had the same "looks like the missile trooper thing from the POTF line" thought....!  I have been trying to figure out what to do with it and I realy like that idea, I might have to steal it!  I was originally going to try and make a joe vehicle out of it but I think it looks like it'd fit more into the SW universe.

anywho, can't wait to see what the end result of this contest will be.