Author Topic: August Figure Repaint Competition  (Read 26056 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: August Figure Repaint Competition
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
wow!  loads of awesome in these last few entries.

sprywalker:  that gree is very nice.  I don't care too much for the animated figures, but the clones are the best out of the series.  I realy like what you've done here by blending the ROTS camo color scheme onto the figure.  I'd love to see an arf trooper done up like the at-rt driver from the movie...

vader9900:  GREAT concept, I love the idea that the clones would be put into a battle arena just like the geonosians did to anakin, padme, and obi-wan...  I love the claw marks on the armor.  As for the lost visor... I tend to be very careful to leave any small accessories inside or use a clear rubber band to hold them on whenever I'm going outside to take photos or set up for dio shots... and by "take photos and set up for dio shots" I mean play. ;)

darknosaur: Very nice use of the concept boba.  Do you have problems with that figure's body falling in half at the torso joint? Mine always did and I wound up loosing the cover to the stomache blaster!  I like the fact that you went with something totally original in yours and didn't try to adhere to any pre-concieved paint scheme.

clonesniper:  That is amazing work with the bane figure.  I love the look of the armor now that it's not completely transparent, it realy brings out the details in the sculpting.  The mask is very well done, the gold must have been a pain to paint, how many coats did you go through to get such a smooth application?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »
The entries are rolling in now.

LE, I love the rots paint apps on the clone wars gree! What a great idea, kind of a transitional phase to the gree figure.

Clone sniper, I love what you have done to darth bane. I always thought that this was kind of a hokey looking figure and you have certainly made an improvement across the board on that one. He turned out sharp looking.

Vader, I love the gladiator clone. I think we can live without the visor if you legitamtly lost it."what a bummer for you, I am sure" Love the back story on that one.

Darknsour, Rich, I love what you have done with the concept Fett fig. Like Spud, I love the originality of it and I knew that would be a great figure to repaint. That guy would look right at home with a pow wow of battle hardened mandos.

Lucas  clones, Yes, I just repainted the cape. I mixed the same blue that I used for his armor with white to get that lighter hue and the green was the olive drab that I used for his holster and belt with some of the blue mixed in.  I was matching to the cw pre viszla cape colors but as the animated Fett's cape was folded, I didnt bother with the bird symbol and just tried to emulate the stripes.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2010, 05:19:57 PM »
Hey Spudafett, I used like 2 and half coats. Some areas of the mask needed a little more touching up than others. That plastic is slippery and the paint just doesn't want to stick to it. I just got my tiny brush wet and the paint just goes on smooth.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Hey Spudafett, I used like 2 and half coats. Some areas of the mask needed a little more touching up than others. That plastic is slippery and the paint just doesn't want to stick to it. I just got my tiny brush wet and the paint just goes on smooth.
I've noticed that with alot of the newer figures and accessories hasbro is putting out that the rubbery plastic they are using is, as you so aptly put it, slippery.  Idk if they are putting somekind of finish on the rubber that prevents paint from sticking or if it's just the rubber itself but it is very frustrating.   Has anyone tried any techniques (other than using primer) to make a better painting surface on small parts like this?  what is frustrating for me is that as soon as you get it painted and you think it's dried and cured you pop it onto the figure and the paint rubs right off.   I'm even using only acrylic paints, as I know that enamels wouldn't even cure when used on this rubber-plastic...
I wonder if rubbing the figure with a quick rub of paint thinner would "roughen" up the surface enough to take paint better?

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2010, 06:06:22 PM »
believe it or not i have had this problem and have found that hard and heavy drybrushing(or "Grinding" as i like to call it) with your intended colour helps to give something for the paint to key to
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline vader9900

• Lieutenant
  • Sith Lord
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »
It is mold release on the figures and parts. Wash them with warm water and dish soap before you start to paint. Rubbing alcohol works well too. Use a old toothbrush and cotton swabs to get into corners. I do that before I start to paint any fig and never had a problem.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »
Sweet Vader! Do you guys think paint thinner or maybe even light sanding with fine sandpaper would be a good idea? I know I would be afraid of changing the surface too much, but it might look like battle damage on a clone or mandalorian.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
Sweet Vader! Do you guys think paint thinner or maybe even light sanding with fine sandpaper would be a good idea? I know I would be afraid of changing the surface too much, but it might look like battle damage on a clone or mandalorian.

Instead of sandpaper try scraping the surface with one of your duller xacto blades.  I have used that to draw on my figs with india ink(this is how I got my fine lines on Eyeball and other).  Without scraping the ink rubs right off with scraping it soaks in and is permanent.  I think what Vader said about rubbing alcohol is a good solution too.  Scraping is good though if you want a more weathered look.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2010, 11:29:47 PM »
Damn Guys very impressive repaints, I think teh scores are going to be very close indeed.

Ron

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2010, 05:44:41 AM »
There are so many awesome entries, this is going to be so hard to vote on!  If you're frantically working to finish your entry, you've got only a mere 16 hours from now to do it!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2010, 09:00:22 AM »
I am gonna have a hard time voting on which one I like the best!

Offline damonsfast

• Ensign
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »
time is running out

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2010, 10:44:14 AM »
You guys are right, there are so many awesome repaints in this thread! How can you pick just one as the best? I have no clue...there are so many different types and then different styles it is going to be too hard to narrow it down. I wish there was a way to make it impossible for you to vote for your own custom. Each customizer would have to pick one of their piers as the best. Now that would be interesting. One way woul be allowing us to submit our vote to a mod that did not enter the competition, then the mod could submit it. What do you think? I may be making this too much work but I thought it was an interesting concept.

Offline vader9900

• Lieutenant
  • Sith Lord
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2010, 11:34:16 AM »
My 2 cents - voting for your own custom would be classless vadsab

Offline darknsour

• Captain
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2010, 12:17:13 PM »
I would never vote for my own custom!

Simply cause it's never the best to pick from!!!

I'm going to have a very hard time casting a vote cause I love something about each one!!!

Well good luck Guy's!!!

Rich