Author Topic: What led you to the Shipyards?  (Read 9797 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: What led you to the Shipyards?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 03:56:58 AM »
Been here from the beginning, hopefully I will stay around for long time

Yepper Serg, you are old school. Glad I am to have you here. Well I am glad all the folks are here, but some have weathered stormier waters and I want to thank them for it.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 01:17:20 AM »

Yepper Serg, you are old school. Glad I am to have you here. Well I am glad all the folks are here, but some have weathered stormier waters and I want to thank them for it.

As long as no one will not try to shut me up with the fist in the mouth I'll be here... Some know what I'm talking about and it is not about ISY...
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 06:38:15 AM »

As long as no one will not try to shut me up with the fist in the mouth I'll be here... Some know what I'm talking about and it is not about ISY...

;)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 06:50:11 AM »
That will not happen here, I personally can guarantee it, 

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 07:02:15 AM »
I know :) Too bad "a fist in the mouth by various members" policy is approved elsewhere.  :(
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 07:04:14 AM »
unfortunatly we understand,  to bad that the term"global community" or "hobby"  doesn't mean much.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
I am enjoying this thread. It's kind of cool finding out what led our members to join the Shipyards family.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 03:38:48 PM »
What lead me here was a shared dream to have a fun hobby "home" online.  corny but true

After being a member at many of the various SW sites and a staffer at a couple, I saw alot of what I liked and more importantly what I didn't.  Those experiances lead to some good friendships with a wide range of people and importantly 2 that shared the same idea of a place such as this, after talks, chats, and just general what if'ing, we decided to give it a shot. This place was well recepted by some and not so much by others, the latter really reinforced the idea of us building Community, rather than "our site". So what you see now is a result of a few years of talking dreaming and trying.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 08:54:15 PM »
Funny enough, ISY began as a joke.  Wayne, Shawn, and I used to chat in a private chat room that only the 3 of us had.  We chatted about all kinds of things, including what we liked and disliked about many different Star Wars sites.  We joked, "How hard could it be?"  Well, we found out, harder than we thought!  But we went for it, have made 3 different versions of what is now our home.  It's been a LOT of fun, fun I missed at other sites.  I'm pleasantly surprised every time I sign on here!  I look forward to checking in here and making it better every day!

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 06:32:44 AM »
Yeah, fun is missing from a lot of sites.  For one reason or another, a lot of sites I was going to for a while were just bumming me out.

NFC and a few of his cronies...errr, compatriots made a custom figure site that I really enjoy going to, but it kind of ebbs now and then, so I was happy to check out this board when Clint mentioned it.

This board is just fun, so far no BS or mod grandstanding, which was a big problem at my original home site back in the day(and the site I'm thinking of is one of the main reasons NFC had to make his own board, IMHO), lol. 

Unrelated to this, but on the topic of great boards, ST6 has a challenge thread where one customizer can call another one out, say..."Make this figure in your style" or whatever, any chance we can get a similar feature added?

An example would be "Spudafett, I challenge you to make a modern military version of Jango Fett"  etc, :)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 06:57:01 AM »
Spud,

That is an interesting concept, I also had an idea of a grab bag of sorts, 1 customizer sends a small bag of pieces, parts and fodder to another to see what they can create out of it.

This comming year we can explore amny idea to boost the custom aspect.  We are open to exploring all options.

After the next slated contest rolls and is finished, we can implement these new ideas.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
Me and Jay (wraitenine) used to be at Rebelscum. Jay then joined here, and after a while he convinced me to join the Shipyards. I guess we "defected" so to speak lol.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline Clone_General_1977

• Commander
  • "We're Airborne, We're Meant To Be Surrounded"
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 11:32:56 PM »
What led my son and I here was seeing that this site has a lot of great customizers with no bad comments.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 06:53:09 AM »
I too am really enjoying reading all the comments and it further makes me realize that Wayne, Pat, and I were on the right track in regards to putting the fun back into collecting in regards to Star Wars. Boy was it a learning curve as my compatriots have suggested and I laugh back then at how we just thought we could do everything right at the start! Still, we learned bit by bit and now have a place we can all be proud of and thats the great part too. Everyone in thier own way has contributed something to make this place what it is.  Thanks for the great contributions Yarders and keep em coming, we will add em if we can! This is your home too!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »
Jay mentioned the Shipyards in one of his videos on youtube so I came here, liked the place and decided to join up.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf