Author Topic: painting technics  (Read 1839 times)

Offline clones are awesome

• Commander
  • fear! fear attracts the fearful fear is my aly.
painting technics
« on: January 21, 2010, 08:50:43 AM »
How do you do a ink wash? :-\

Offline Jangobones

• Lieutenant
  • "Great Shot DONT GET COCKY"
Re: painting technics
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:21:08 AM »
I use Black chalk and water mixed with ELMER"S WHITE GLUE for a wash. It seems to work for me....good luck.
"You Ever Dance With The Devil by The Pale MoonLight? I Ask All My Prey, I Just Like The Sound Of It" - Joker

Offline Darth Abshir

• Rookie Customizer
  • Commander
  • DarthAbshir
    • http://www.starwars.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »
I use Black chalk and water mixed with ELMER"S WHITE GLUE for a wash. It seems to work for me....good luck.
Hmm i Should try that

"Keep Collecting and May the Force be with you"

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:43:31 PM »
Wow, JB I have never heard of that. I just add water to a bit of black paint to thin it out. If you get too much on an area blot it with a paper towel.

Offline 501stAppo

• Commander
  • Adrenaline starts to flow!
    • 501stAppo on youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:17:35 AM »
Jay (Wraithnine) has a nice tutorial on youtube of a custom arf trooper, in that video you can also see him applying an inkwash. this is the link:

Offline RunDown

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 06:08:27 AM »
Yea, I agree with Spry, a darker color mixed with water works well.  You can rub or blot off excess areas with a clean cloth.
Another 'recipe' I found on the net is to mix 'future' floor wax with a bit of water, and then darken that up with some color.  The Future Acrylic Wax adds a bit of 'heaviness' to the wash, sinking it into the fine lines really well, and holding it there while adding a seal to the surface.   This technique requires very little to work.  In other words, start  with very little on your brush and go from there.   This can also add a glossy finish if too much wax is used.  But it definitely leaves a good, hard, protected surface.  If you end up with more gloss than you want, use a dry brush technique to add just enough paint to take the shine off.     I used this technique on the Shadow V-19 I recently finished.  You can see the glossiness in the photos, although the glossiness is somewhat exaggerated by the camera flash. . . .
cd

Offline dax415

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »

never heard of this method, anyway you could do a quick tutorial?