Poll

What should I do with my two spare Black Series Clones

501st Troopers
4 (50%)
212th Troopers
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: MandoMuggle's Customs - 6" Light-up Darksaber  (Read 40380 times)

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
Re: Mauldalorian’s custom figures - Rex's 501st squad
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 01:21:44 PM »
I really liked the Umbara arc and made these to go with my Black Series Rex and ARC Trooper Fives

Clone Trooper Kix (Phase ii)

3d Printed his backpack and some acrylic paints

Clone Trooper Jesse (Phase ii)

Clone Trooper Hardcase (Phase ii)

The Z6 was designed in tinkered and printed. It spins :)

WIP pics - Hardcase learning basic assembly
"where's the instruction manual?"

Pre-assembly of the printed Z6

Individual barrels that thread through the disc to hold it together

Assembled before painting
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:28:48 PM by Mauldalorian »

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
Re: Mauldalorian’s custom figures - Custom Clones
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 03:05:25 PM »
Nice heavy blaster!  So cool that it spins.

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 04:29:38 PM »
Very cool 501st Clones. You nailed it!  ()rr
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 07:09:27 PM »
Great paint on the clones! Those printed parts are something else.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 12:42:04 AM »
Very cool rotary cannon; the fact that it spins is definitely the cherry. Do you design and print your own parts? I've been wanting to check out zbrush and perhaps pick up a printer at some point.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 01:09:05 AM »
Wow, great  work on painting & weathering your Troopers! Did you use acrylic paints from apple barrel? And are those Clone Troopers from Hasbro? I think Phase II are even rarer than Phase I...time for Hasbro to bring them back to The Archive Line and Gaming Greats. Talking about Battlefront - I agree with previous comments. The heavy rotating gun and backpack look totally awesome! Really good work here! Thanks for sharing your squad with us!

- Philipp

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 07:22:03 AM »
Wow, just fantastic Clones. Off to the front pages.

And that z6 is awesome!

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 09:32:29 AM »
Hello back, I just read your question on the font page. Didn’t see it on page one. So it’s either 2 501st or 2 212th Troopers. Tough question.

Here’re my thoughts:

212th Attack Battallion

1. As far as I know there is no 212th Clone Trooper in The Black Series, yet. Neither in Phase I nor in Phase II. So it’d be cool if you made two of them with different deco/equipment before Hasbro.
2. With the new sculpt of the Purge Trooper I’m sure it’s just a matter of time ‘til we’ll see a repaint of him to represent the 7th Sky Corps. When I talked to Hasbro on Comic Con back in December they confirmed that Commander Cody is on top of their list for the Archive line. So of they’re smart they even make a 3-Pack with Cody, an Airborne and a Clone Trooper of 212th Attack Battalion. I think it’s just a matter of time ‘til they also make a 212th Clone Trooper.

I also made a diorama of the “10th level” recently and added some thoughts:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?PHPSESSID=90143e9471ad7724ac95259442d53781&topic=10155.msg216232#msg216232

501st Legion

1. There was one 501st Legion Trooper in the 4-Pack, which is pretty hard to find - even harder here in Germany. So I hope that Hasbro will give us more units in the Archive Line, Main Line or Gaming Greats adding some variation. But with Season 7 of The Clone Wars I suppose they will come with “Ahsoka’s-Legion” helmets.
I think the main pro for you here, is that you already got all the right colors to paint the 501st. Plus they’d match your awesome squad perfectly.

The only con is, I think the “i” on their chest armor is quite tough to paint - even in 1/12 scale. But I’m confident it’ll be no problem for you.

Who knows when we’ll see more repaints of Clone Troopers with the current situation and all the delays. I hope my thoughts will help you a bit to make a choice. Have you ever worked with decals by the way? I’m currently working on a sheet with some emblems for a 1/18 scale Purge Trooper.

And do you know forum member CenturionsCorner? He’s on YouTube and Instagram, too! He made some nice Clone customs as well...

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?PHPSESSID=90143e9471ad7724ac95259442d53781&topic=10594.0

I hope my thoughts can help you a bit to make a choice. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Clones no matter which Legion you choose!

- Philipp

Edit: Yep, my smartphone messed up my text hard. Had to fix it on the computer...cheers!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:51:42 AM by Darth More »

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 05:49:19 PM »
Hello back, I just read your question on the font page. Didn’t see it on page one. So it’s either 2 501st or 2 212th Troopers. Tough question.

Here’re my thoughts:

212th Attack Battallion

1. As far as I know there is no 212th Clone Trooper in The Black Series, yet. Neither in Phase I nor in Phase II. So it’d be cool if you made two of them with different deco/equipment before Hasbro.
2. With the new sculpt of the Purge Trooper I’m sure it’s just a matter of time ‘til we’ll see a repaint of him to represent the 7th Sky Corps. When I talked to Hasbro on Comic Con back in December they confirmed that Commander Cody is on top of their list for the Archive line. So of they’re smart they even make a 3-Pack with Cody, an Airborne and a Clone Trooper of 212th Attack Battalion. I think it’s just a matter of time ‘til they also make a 212th Clone Trooper.

I also made a diorama of the “10th level” recently and added some thoughts:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?PHPSESSID=90143e9471ad7724ac95259442d53781&topic=10155.msg216232#msg216232

501st Legion

1. There was one 501st Legion Trooper in the 4-Pack, which is pretty hard to find - even harder here in Germany. So I hope that Hasbro will give us more units in the Archive Line, Main Line or Gaming Greats adding some variation. But with Season 7 of The Clone Wars I suppose they will come with “Ahsoka’s-Legion” helmets.
I think the main pro for you here, is that you already got all the right colors to paint the 501st. Plus they’d match your awesome squad perfectly.

The only con is, I think the “i” on their chest armor is quite tough to paint - even in 1/12 scale. But I’m confident it’ll be no problem for you.

Who knows when we’ll see more repaints of Clone Troopers with the current situation and all the delays. I hope my thoughts will help you a bit to make a choice. Have you ever worked with decals by the way? I’m currently working on a sheet with some emblems for a 1/18 scale Purge Trooper.

And do you know forum member CenturionsCorner? He’s on YouTube and Instagram, too! He made some nice Clone customs as well...

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?PHPSESSID=90143e9471ad7724ac95259442d53781&topic=10594.0

I hope my thoughts can help you a bit to make a choice. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your Clones no matter which Legion you choose!

- Philipp

Edit: Yep, my smartphone messed up my text hard. Had to fix it on the computer...cheers!

There were 212th Black Series at 6” as part of the Order 66 pack but the prices now are ridiculous!

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.ca%2FBlack-Troopers-6-Inch-Action-Figures%2Fdp%2FB01M8I9WP9&psig=AOvVaw3VGu4XYUnYmsy5B_7GRlQd&ust=1585009634066000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIiIsJWrr-gCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

I like your reasoning! I think I will go with 501st instead  ()rr

I never thought of the chest pattern on 501st to be an “i” but now i cant unsee it lol

I’ve not heard of CenturionsCorner but his work is top notch!

Thanks again Philip! I’m still prone to typos myself on mobiles ;)

Wow, great  work on painting & weathering your Troopers! Did you use acrylic paints from apple barrel? And are those Clone Troopers from Hasbro? I think Phase II are even rarer than Phase I...time for Hasbro to bring them back to The Archive Line and Gaming Greats. Talking about Battlefront - I agree with previous comments. The heavy rotating gun and backpack look totally awesome! Really good work here! Thanks for sharing your squad with us!

- Philipp
These are all Hasbro Black Series troopers

The phase ii helmets were custom casts bought online a long time ago before i learned to mold and cast which im just learning! The next two 501st troopers will be the first with my own casted heads.

My primary colors, black n white are a combo of Apple Barrel n FolkArt

Rex’s squads blue however are a combo of Tamiya and Vallejo Model Color acrylics. I like to mix the Vallejo with other brands as I find them too viscous. This way, they are a bit thicker and easier to paint with :)

Wow, just fantastic Clones. Off to the front pages.

And that z6 is awesome!

You’re the best!

Very cool rotary cannon; the fact that it spins is definitely the cherry. Do you design and print your own parts? I've been wanting to check out zbrush and perhaps pick up a printer at some point.

I got my printer from Amazon. Yes the z6 i designed myself but the backpack i found on thingiverse!

If you are interested in getting one, i suggest considering first if you are going to print large objects or small as this depends on the print bed that your printer comes with

Heated beds also help prevent your models level and avoid warping for larger objects

I’ve never used Zbrush but am trying to learn Blender currently somi can design more organic objects. Lmk if you do any 3d modelling! Always love to talm shop and learn from others!

Very cool 501st Clones. You nailed it!  ()rr

Thanks! I was doing my best to pose Kix and Hardcase like their reference photos  8)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:38:18 PM by Mauldalorian »

Offline nickeltcd

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 08:03:51 PM »
Outstanding work, I really love the burnt detail on the backpack. The squad mini gun is fantastic and that it spins is out of th his world. I love your display and quote of learning basic assembly is to funny.

By the Knights of Mandalore, our Quest will ring true

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
That's some pretty spectacular tinkering - both on the pack and the rotary gun! Really nice job with the paint applications as well. These are really amazing figures. I agree with Darth More's thinking about the troopers, too. My vote would be for the 501st (sounds like you've already got there though).

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2020, 05:24:02 PM »
Welcome aboard! The mandolorian and child are really great! If I had a 3d printer and knew how to draft and design I'd go nuts, I'd never have to buy another figure again. Haha. The clone trooper squad looks fantastic, I thought they were 1/6 at first with all the attention to detail.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2020, 07:00:58 PM »
Prequel era clones were always some of my favorites to customize.  The potential was limitless.  You've done a wonderful job in the subtle markings and differentiations to them.  Well done!

Offline MandoMuggle

• Lieutenant
  • This is the way!
Thanks everyone!

Finished up my remaining clones

I molded and casted the phase 2 helmet. Took a few tries as I'm just learning how to do this correctly :) Pretty happy with the results.

If anyone knows a way to cast these helmets with a cavity for the neck ball joint, DO TELL! Not a fan of drilling out the bottom of the helmets :(

Some WIP pics

Sergeant Appo

I decided to make the other one into Sergeant Appo. I love how he has an arrow like The Last Airbender since Dave Filoni worked on both shows.

Now if they will launch an edited version of episode III with the arrow composited on to his helmet  ::)

"I'm sorry sir, but it's time for you to leave!"

501st Legion Clone Trooper (Phase ii)

The diorama was a combination of Death Star panel files I found online. I modified it quite a bit to fit what I wanted to do with it.

The back is lit by an LED strip and the LED panel was a sheet of styrene added to the printed wall panel

The gate was 6 separate pieces glued together

I'd like to think that it works pretty well as a Republic/Venator interior as well as the Death Star.

I plan to print a vanishing print of the Death Star interior to complete the piece!

501st Legion... before the dark times...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:57:57 PM by Mauldalorian »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2020, 07:09:16 AM »
Wow, this turned out great. What a great set of Clones and just a fantastic way to display them.

If anyone would know about Clone heads it would be Clonehead. He has casted a ton of em in his day.

Off to the front pages.