Author Topic: The Bartokk  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
The Bartokk
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:49:29 AM »
INFO: The Bartokks were an extremely xenophobic, non-humanoid hermaphroditic race with a propensity for precision, native to the Outer Rim. 

RACE: Bartokk
HEIGHT: 1.8 Meters Tall
SKIN (CARAPACE): Black
DISTINCTION: Regenerative abilities, hive-mind
LANGUAGE: Bartokk

HOMEWORLD:
Their homeworld was mildly radioactive, which occasionally led to mutations which would seem minor to most beings, but was grounds for exile in Bartokk society.

BIOLOGY AND APPEARANCE:
The Bartokks were a clawed, insectoid, hive-mind species of sapients from a nameless planet in the Outer Rim Territories.

The Bartokks possessed amazing regenerative abilities, and could recover from almost any injury, so long as their brains were not completely destroyed. However, if their brain was cut in half each half would regenerate into a separate twin. Their bodies also had the ability to have parts that have been cut off in combat to continue functioning as normal. If decapitated, for example, the body would continue to fight as if it were still attached to the head. They also had a grasp on telepathy, where if one were to be in danger, they could simply call on their "hive" to save them.

A living Bartokk was approximately the same height as a Human. It was principally a black color, in varying shades, and there was the suggestion of fluid or field motion within the body. Bartokk had a hard carapace that was chiefly mineral. There were six thin legs that made it possible for the being to move in any direction quickly; the legs were articulated with joints roughly corresponding to the knee and ankle of humanoid species. Each leg ended in a multi-toed foot. The legs were attached at the base of the torso and were radially symmetric. There were two arms; each had joints analogous to the humanoid elbow and wrist, and each arm ended in a multi-fingered hand. There was no neck as such. Bartokks had six glowing spots on top of their head. They turned these to face individuals with whom they interacted, which suggested they had some sort of information-gathering organ. Bartokk did have two sexes, but each individual had both sets of sexual organs.

Bartokk existed at high temperatures – in excess of 450 Kelvin (177 °C, 350 °F). They could tolerate lower temperatures for a brief period of time; if they were exposed to too low temperatures, their carapace would crack. This was painful or distressing; a Bartokk subjected to such a temperature regime could be coerced to cooperate. In temperatures even lower, a Bartokk would freeze solid and shatter.

Bartokks had something analogous to biochemical processes. There was no known sedative in the galaxy.

Bartokks were naturally able to emit various forms of radiation, which they could modulate. They could communicate over short distances in this fashion. A Bartokk imprisoned aboard a ship would be able to summon help via this method.

CULTURE AND HISTORY:
During several confrontations with the Empire, Bartokk behavior could best be described as aggressive and territorial. Bartokks were also renowned for their punctuality.

Bartokks rarely advanced very far from their home system, and are known to kill outsiders caught trespassing in their territory. They were also known to frequently annex surrounding systems outside of the Assembly, to further isolate their territory.

Bartokk weddings involved paying a dowry. Furthermore, Bartokk silk was highly prized and a difficult commodity to obtain.

GOVERNMENT:
The head governmental unit of the Bartokks was the Bartokk Assembly.

APPEARANCES:
Episode I Adventures 1: Search for the Lost Jedi (First appearance)
Episode I Adventures 2: The Bartokk Assassins
Episode I Adventures 3: The Fury of Darth Maul
Episode I Adventures 4: Jedi Emergency
Episode I Adventures Game Book 4: Jedi Emergency
"The Great Herdship Heist" - Star Wars Adventure Journal 15 (Mentioned only)
Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers (First appearance)
Young Jedi Knights: Diversity Alliance (Mentioned only)

SOURCES:
"Galaxy's Most Wanted: Mr. X" - Star Wars Gamer 3
Ultimate Alien Anthology
The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Star Wars Encyclopedia

I would like to thank Wookieepedia for this info.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:31:19 AM by Cimter »