Author Topic: The Ossan (not the Ossan from Cloak of Deception)  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
The Ossan (not the Ossan from Cloak of Deception)
« on: December 21, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »
INFO: The Ossan were a mammalian species used—and sold—as slaves by the Ancient Houses of the Senex Sector. Their homeworld was Ossel II, and they had sizeable populations on Asmeru and Karfeddion, the latter being used by House Vandron as an Ossan breeding planet.

RACE: Ossan
HEIGHT: 1.4 to 1.6 Meters Tall
SKIN: Brown to black (with some of the more intelligent being pure white)
DISTINCTION: Strong, long toothy snouts, single nostril, floppy ears
LANGUAGE: Ossel

HOMEWORLD:
Ossel II was the swampy, high-gravity homeworld of the Ossans, in the Slice and the Outer Rim Territories. Its main export was syp wood, though traders trying to purchase syp wood from Ossans were often required to take Ossans on as part of their crew. Many Ossans ended up slaves on Karfeddion.

BIOLOGY AND APPEARANCE:
Ossan were rodent-like humanoids with a stocky build, long arms, and short legs. Their faces were dominated by a pair of floppy ears and a long snout, with sharp serrated teeth, ending in a single nostril. Their height ranged from 1.4 to 1.6 Meters Tall.

CULTURE AND HISTORY:
Ossan on their swampy high-gravity homeworld lived a primitive lifestyle, without even the technology of the bow and arrow. They were visited regularly by independent spacers trading for syp wood. Though many spacers would attempt to trade goods for syp, the Ossan insisted instead on exchanging wood for the chance to sign on as crewmembers. Though this usually meant that the Ossan would end up an indentured servant or slave, the Ossan believed this to be an excellent trade. Ossan fancied themselves clever negotiators, though this was usually not true. Many Ossan would be released from their contracts early due to ineptitude. These Ossan had few skills to offer other than their strength, and even that was short-lived as their muscles turned to fat in lower gravity environments. Ossan were the favored prey of the carniverous cucul- a rough-skinned amphibious animal that resembled a fallen tree. Though not advanced enough to master a bow and arrow, Ossan did develop primitive spears in response to the threat of hungry cucul entering their villages.

IN THE GALAXY:
Most Ossan encountered in the galaxy will have left Ossel II as indentured servants, but they will seldom be encountered in that state, primarily because most Ossan are released from their contracts quite early for their general ineptitude. (This should not necessarily be considered a condemnation of all Ossans because, due to their social structure, it is usually the least intelligent, but strongest, of them who leave the planet.)

Having few skills of note, Ossans tend to find employment as bodyguards and musclemen, using their large size and primitive appearance as their main qualifications - although, once off the high-gravity of Ossel II, the Ossan muscular physique deteriorates into the fat mass most people associate with their species.

APPEARANCES:
Cloak of Deception (They used the Ossan name only to describe a different race)
"Droid Trouble" - Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
Children of the Jedi (First appearance)
Star by Star

SOURCES:
Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races (First Edition) (First described)
Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races (Second Edition)
Alien Encounters (Mentioned only)
The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

NOTE: According to the 2001 novel Cloak of Deception the Ossan are a bioengineered species of four-armed humanoids, with hands and feet evolved for digging and backs evolved for lifting. Their thick skin provides natural protection from heat and cold, as well as low-level radiation. Ossan heads are described as dominated by large eyes which enable them to see in the dark. Ossan as depicted in Cloak of Deception also have small, inflexible mouths, and no noses or ears.

The ones listed in the Cloak of Deception are not the true Ossan (there I said it) and I quote the most upto date info on this: The original artwork of the Ossan was reused in 2008's The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia.

There as you can see these are the Original Ossan the ones I place here for your perusal.  And I wish the Cloak of Deception had used the ones listed here as the correct race intended.

I would like to thank Wookieepedia for this info.