Author Topic: The Barabel  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
The Barabel
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:50:17 PM »
INFO: The Barabels were a bipedal race of reptilians who were covered in very tough dark colored scales. A blaster set on stun would not damage them at all or slow them down, as it would merely bounce off their scales. Barabels were able to shed their tails if necessary, an ability that proved the undoing of many a startled foe. They also possessed heavy retractable claws along with needle sharp teeth.

RACE: Barabel
HEIGHT: 1.9 to 2.2 Meters Tall
SKIN: Red, black, gray, green
DISTINCTION: Scales, tail
LANGUAGE: Barabel

HOMEWORLD:
Barab I was a planet in the Barab system. Its star was a dim red dwarf that made the planet very dark. The planet orbited the star within less than 125 million kilometers. During its six daylight hours, the radiation (in the forms of gamma rays, ultraviolet, and infrared) and heat from the star forced all life underground, and when the planet turned away from it, it became safe for natives and creatures of the planet to hunt. However during this time frame, sudden torrential downpours from the day's evaporation could occur so the native Barabel had to move quickly.

It was located on the Triellus Trade Route.

Other creatures that had protective shielding in the form of cocoons or reflective skin and hair were able to cope with the intense heat during the day.

The top predator of Barab I was the fearsome durgolosk. The primary sentient species was the Barabels, a race of bipedal reptiles.

The planet was visited by the Jedi Noga-ta in 900 BBY. This legendary Jedi resolved a civil war that had been ongoing for thousands of years, earning the Jedi the respect from the Barabel people. The Galactic Republic, however, remained ignorant of the planet for a long time. By 44 BBY, however, the planet was already part of the Galactic community, exporting Barabel fruit, and by the Clone Wars, the Barabel people were already known galaxy-wide as violent barbarians with reverence for Jedi.

Jedi Master Ki-Adi-Mundi went on a secret mission to Barab I during the early stages of the Clone Wars.[2]

The natives lived in subterranean caves and tunnels. After Alater, an Imperial officer, stopped the illegal hunting of the sentient Barabels by offworlders, an Imperial spaceport was built on the planet: Alater-ka

Barab I was under the rule of the Galactic Empire from 14 BBY until it was liberated by the New Republic. Years later, during the Yuuzhan Vong War, the ecosystem of the planet was ravaged and much of the populace was captured on a slaveship, which Saba Sebatyne accidentally destroyed.

Saba mistakenly assumed she had killed most of her people. However, a remnant of the planet's populace had hidden from the Yuuzhan Vong in underground caverns. Nonetheless, the planet was left with a much reduced population.

BIOLOGY AND APPEARANCE:
The Barabel evolved from a vicious reptilian species and maintain their hunting culture. On average, they stand 2 meters tall and weigh around 130 kilograms. Jagged, overlapping, black keratin scales cover their bodies protecting them from bites, blaster bolts, and radiation, and the Barabel are said to be able to shed their tails when necessary. Due to the planetary harsh radiation, they are forced to hunt at night and their eyesight has adapted, allowing them to see perfectly in utter darkness.

They also have a layer of fat that retains heat, so they fight well in both sun-baked heat and freezing cold temperatures .Barabel are famously mean-spirited. This normally manifests itself in direct physical confrontation, but Barabel have no qualms with property destruction, traps, indirect fire, or even crueler tactics.

Outsiders often confuse Barabel viciousness with stupidity, though that is a foolish mistake, and often their last.

CULTURE AND HISTORY:
According to Barabel legend, a small group of Jedi, led by the Ithorian Noga-ta, came to Barab I circa 900 BBY. Noga-ta helped settle the civil war that had plagued Barabel society for thousands of years. Consequently, the Barabels held Jedi in high esteem and would accept a Jedi's judgment in any dispute.

After this contact with the Jedi, the Barabels had little contact with offworlders for centuries. Soon after the rise of the Galactic Empire, Planetary Safaris began organizing hunting trips to Barab I, with the quarry being the Barabels themselves. After a few Barabels were killed, a Barabel leader named Shaka-ka organized groups of her fellow hunters into armies which overwhelmed the safari ships. When an Imperial investigation led by Captain Osted Alater revealed that the Barabels were sentient, the safaris were ended. Shaka-ka formed an alliance with Imperial Governor Paro Lanto and had the spaceport city of Alater-ka built. Some Barabels began to go offworld, working as mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Later, during the days of the New Republic, several Barabels became part of the Jedi Order. The most prominent of these was Saba Sebatyne. The Barabels were nearly wiped out when Barab I was ravaged by the Yuuzhan Vong during their invasion of the galaxy. However, some Barabels escaped the widespread fires by retreating to Barab I's vast network of caverns.

APPEARANCES:
Darth Maul: Saboteur
Star Wars: Darth Maul 3
Star Wars: Darth Maul 4
Star Wars Republic: Outlander (Appears in flashback(s))
"A Dark Fortress"
Star Wars Republic: Emissaries to Malastare
Boba Fett: Maze of Deception
MedStar II: Jedi Healer (Mentioned only)
Changing Seasons
Jedi Trial
Echoes of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
Star Wars Purge: Seconds to Die (Vision to Sha Koon)
The Hutt Gambit
Rebel Dawn
"The Last Hand" - Star Wars Adventure Journal 13
Droid Trouble
Domain of Evil
Star Wars Rebellion 0: Crossroads
Star Wars Rebellion: My Brother, My Enemy
Star Wars Rebellion: The Ahakista Gambit
Galaxy of Fear: The Doomsday Ship
Shadows of the Empire comic
Shadows of the Empire novel
Shadows of the Empire: Evolution
Shadows of the Empire in Action Figures (Non-canon appearance)
Zorba the Hutt's Revenge
Queen of the Empire
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Mentioned only)
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Tatooine Ghost
Fists of Ion
Dark Force Rising (First appearance)
The Last Command (Mentioned only)
Specter of the Past
Planet of Twilight (Mentioned only)
Recovery
Emissary of the Void
Star by Star
Dark Journey
Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
Destiny's Way
Force Heretic I: Remnant
Force Heretic II: Refugee
Force Heretic III: Reunion
The Final Prophecy
The Unifying Force
Dark Nest I: The Joiner King
Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen
Dark Nest III: The Swarm War
Tempest (Mentioned only)
Sacrifice
Inferno
Fury
Star Wars Legacy 20: Indomitable, Part 1

SOURCES:
Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races (First appearance)
Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim
Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters
Heroes & Rogues
Planets of the Galaxy, Volume Three
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded
The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars Encyclopedia
The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
The Essential Guide to Alien Species
The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
Alien Anthology
Ultimate Alien Anthology
Kessel: Hell in Space on Wizards.com (article)
Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
Making a Full Recovery on Wizards.com (article)
"A Mon Alone"
Scum and Villainy
The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Galaxy at War
Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Shadow Syndicate (Card: Barabel Hunter)

I would like to thank Wookieepedia for this info.