Author Topic: The M'shinni  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
The M'shinni
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:40:59 AM »
INFO: The M'shinni (singular M'shinn), ruled the planets of the M'shinni sector from their homeworld of Genassa. These humanoids were easily recognizable thanks to the moss-like plants that covered their entire body surfaces, save only for their palms and the soles of their feet. This covering led to the common nickname, Mossies. M'shinni in the galaxy were notable for their expertise in the biological and agricultural sciences, and for their control of several agriworlds.

RACE: M'shinni
HEIGHT: 1.5 to 2.2 Meters Tall
SKIN: Greens
DISTINCTION: Covered in green, moss-like plants
LANGUAGE: Genassa

HOMEWORLD:
Genassa was a planet in M'shinni Sector. The native M'shinni colonized many worlds in the sector, including Agriworld-2079. The planet was represented in the Galactic Senate by R'shinnos Sh'neel.

BIOLOGY AND APPEARANCES:
The M'shinni were descended from an an extinct humanoid precursor species which developed a symbiotic relationship with a type of moss-like plant. This plant covering could be various shades of green, depending on the M'shinn's health and light conditions. An ill M'shinn's covering would sometimes dry up and turn brown. In return for nourishment from sweat and dead skin cells, their plant covering gave them accelerated healing. If the covering was removed, however, injuries took about fifty percent longer to heal. Their coats also needed sunlight to survive—a M'shinn held in total darkness for ten or more days would lose her coat.

All M'shinni were females who reproduced via parthenogenesis, a natural form of cloning. Reproduction was triggered by climate and food availability: in a favorable climate with plentiful food, they would give birth once every three years. The young were carried in a pouch on their mother's belly for about one hundred days.

M'shinni were vegetarians, with bony plates in their mouths for grinding vegetables instead of teeth. An adult M'shinn stood between 1.5 to 2.2 meters tall.

CULTURE AND HISTORY:
Each M'shinn was a near-exact copy of her mother, though small random mutations existed as in all natural reproductive processes. After generations of subtle mutations, individual families or "Rootlines" of M'shinni would develop a distinctive appearance. Individuals would clip their plant coverings and wear jewelry to distinguish themselves visually from their mothers, aunts, daughters, and sisters, who would otherwise look almost identical. (Clothing, of course, would block sunlight to their plant coverings).

M'shinni were strongly loyal to their Rootline. Each M'shinni could trace their ancestry back to the "firstmother" of their Rootline—the woman from the extinct M'shinni precursor species who first joined with a plant symbiotically. Each Rootline controlled a particular family business. The arable land on M'shinni colonies was divided between Rootlines according to ancient laws. The government on each world was made up of a "Council of the Wise", consisting of the eldest member of each Rootline present on the planet. Competition between Rootlines was often fierce, but rarely violent. Covert sabotage was common, however.

M'shinni ventured into space early in their history, starting by constructing orbital biospheres, and moving on to colonize and terraform Genassa's moon and the other six planets in their home system. After the discovery of the hyperdrive, they colonized dozens of nearby systems in the M'shinni Sector and joined the Galactic Republic. Agriworld-2079, the Skrilling homeworld, was one of their colonies.

Thanks to the fertility of the M'shinni colonies, and the sector's location along the Celanon Spur, the M'shinni Sector was an important exporter of food. When the Galactic Empire arose, their trade to Rebel-aligned planets was restricted. Some M'shinni supported the Empire in their tactics, seeing it as a process of "weeding out" harmful elements. On the other hand, some Rootlines showed distaste for the Empire, preferring to remain as neutral as possible and deal with them only through intermediaries.

IN THE GALAXY:
The M'shinni became famous galaxywide as experts on agriculture, botanical genetics, solar power, and terraforming. The Ithorians, who had a similar specialty in the galactic economy, were friendly rivals of the M'shinni.

APPEARANCES:

None

SOURCES:
Galaxy Guide 12: Aliens—Enemies and Allies (First mentioned)
Ultimate Alien Anthology
The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (Under Genassa)

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
Re: The M'shinni
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:53:09 AM »
that first drawing of the M'shinn looks like Moss Man from MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE 

I'm a geek and a half for Star Wars and I'm not even sure who that species is

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »
Well you can't be that much of a geek, because these exist in Star Wars (these were all made for the Star Wars universe, now if you only know Comics and the Movies these may not be recognizable to you  but others who are old school and have done pen and paper roleplaying will recognize these coming from WEG).

As for the top picture yes it is swiped from Mossman, but hey it looks cool and represents the race as a whole (sort of what a modern picture may look like).

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »
I believe you they exist in SW I wasn't doubting that at all   :D

I just meant I don't remember any of these things from the metric ton of EU books and comics I've been exposed to that's all.   But I had to check and make sure they weren't the species showcased in Splinter of the Mind's Eye before I saw that they have NO appearances outside the RPGs at all.

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »
so this species have never actually shown up anywhere in the EU?  They're ONLY from the RPG?   that sucks, they have some interesting potential.

is that B&W picture the only published art of them?   

nice work on using Moss Man's picture, it actually does fit the species write-up perfectly

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 09:27:50 AM »
That's what annoys me about Lucas and the other writers of Star Wars instead of using established races that have quite a lot of potential they make up some stupid CGI Alien that has people scratching their heads and going ok why (a lot of the smaller Aliens I would have loved to have seen instead of rejects from the Turd factory, for godsake we have Mr Potato Head as a pod racer).

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 09:53:32 AM »
That's what annoys me about Lucas and the other writers of Star Wars instead of using established races that have quite a lot of potential they make up some stupid CGI Alien that has people scratching their heads and going ok why (a lot of the smaller Aliens I would have loved to have seen instead of rejects from the Turd factory, for godsake we have Mr Potato Head as a pod racer).
ditto

ditto

ditto

I feel the same way. 

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »
well 2 week ago I had never heard of this species and since then I've become fascinated by the idea of them and dismayed they have never made an appearance except the RPG because there's a lot of potential for them. 

and so I made a custom M'shinn

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
That is VERY cool NFC!  Nice!  And I agree, I saw that first picture above and thought immediately of Mer-Man!

Offline Cimter

• Cultural Minister
  • Brigadier
  • "Hey, it's me"
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 09:41:33 PM »
I am impressed and well pleased someone actually made one, hell this is why I am putting these aliens up here so we can see more customs like this, and by the way cool custom.

And maybes all this hard work I am doing may actually make it to the front page now, lol.

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »
glad you liked the preview, Cimter, and I'm very very happy we have this section on this board!   Bigger pictures of her are up in my thread including one of her with the rest of the squad

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1294.msg41878#new