Author Topic: Galgrebaa Spaceport.  (Read 31539 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Galgrebaa Spaceport.
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2021, 04:40:55 PM »
   I picked up a couple more different types of spray bottles. I keep finding new designs. I decided to build my original idea of a double intake swoop. At this point, its 95 percent spray bottle parts, outside of a piece of tube, a pipe and the "granny grate" screen. I was going to have exposed engines, but i decided to make a cowl, which made from a spray bottle. I painted it, just to see how it would look.  We'll see how this one goes.

I added some greebles and wings. Mostly model kit parts but the orange section is from a dart gun.  I can't wait to paint it, but I might make some changes first.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:55:37 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2021, 01:04:57 AM »
That's another cool design. You're really smashing these custom speeders.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2021, 03:37:11 AM »
Pretty sweet! Man, you are creating some awesome stuff from just fodder. Thanks for sharing it.

Off to the front pages.

Offline RCWCreations

• Marshal
    • Richard's Creative Workshop
« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2021, 04:39:45 AM »
This is brilliant, I love this!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2021, 03:03:46 PM »
That's another cool design. You're really smashing these custom speeders.

Thank you. Yesterday  told myself to quit while I was ahead after accidentally breaking a part I was going to use, and just take a break for the rest of the week, but I couldn't help it. Once you have momentum it's hard to stop.

Pretty sweet! Man, you are creating some awesome stuff from just fodder. Thanks for sharing it.

Off to the front pages.

Thank you! I'm going to greeble it up, and get it ready for paint.  I just don't know exactly what color. Black is too obvious, and it shows every mistake. I'm thinking a grey green. I dunno. What's a "bad guy" color other than black or white? My next one will be red, if there is a next one.

This is brilliant, I love this!

Thank you! It's coming along.  I want it to be dieselpunk like the last, but bigger and badder.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:26:35 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2021, 05:06:24 PM »
  I finished my second Dieselpunk Star Wars Swoop. Last night I finished Greebleing, then tonight I painted.

I painted the bike and the cowl separately, and simultaneously. The bike I painted it a mixture of Tamiya chrome and dark iron, to make a steel. What I do is I stab the paint. With the metal it gives it a cast look, and with the painted parts stabbing gives it a weathered look. Then I base coated the cowl german grey. Then did a matte clear spray coat. Then I painted the cowl and wings a mixture of german grey and green. Then clear coated. I decided the cowl needed a dash of color, so I dabbed on some red around the intake.  Black washed both parts and cleared again. Then I used the AK Interactive Aluminum dry brush to the metal parts, black washed and cleared again. And that's it. I wanted it to resemble a JU-88 Stuka divebomber. Maybe I went too far with the Dieselpunk, but you can never go too far with the Dieselpunk.  The pictures came out bad, it got dark on me. Maybe tomorrow I'll take better pictures if I have time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:30:03 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2021, 07:48:47 AM »
That turned out nice too. So cool to see how perfect this is and how it is just spray bottle parts for the most part.

I mean can you imagine what Hasbro would charge us for making something like this? How much with everything do you think you have in materials for this?

Just a great project and I appreciate you showing us how you did it. Off to the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2021, 08:27:04 AM »
That turned out nice too. So cool to see how perfect this is and how it is just spray bottle parts for the most part.

I mean can you imagine what Hasbro would charge us for making something like this? How much with everything do you think you have in materials for this?

Just a great project and I appreciate you showing us how you did it. Off to the front pages.

Thank you. It's hard to put a price on the materials. I used 3 types of spray bottles, then the dart gun, so that's $4 for the basic structure. The greebles, just pennies, no real significant parts I'd buy a whole kit to use again, just stuff I had. Didn't use a whole lot of paint, maybe the cost of a matte clear spray can. Less than $10 altogether. I made two in one week.  It's probably at least as good as the Forcelink 2.0 enfys nest swoop, that was $19.99 original msrp. Actually I was going to buy the tfa reys speeder but it would have cost me more both in money and effort to make it the way I wanted.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 09:22:34 AM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2021, 11:55:33 AM »
I love the design aesthetic on this one. The paint job is really outstanding. I love the red around the front intake, that was a great decision. Thanks for sharing the painting process, so helpful! You are really doing outstanding work with these speeders.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2021, 06:44:25 AM »
I figured it was under ten dollars. Just goes to show you how much better you can make something yourself. You creation is so much more substantial and detailed looking too.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2021, 04:11:49 PM »
I love the design aesthetic on this one. The paint job is really outstanding. I love the red around the front intake, that was a great decision. Thanks for sharing the painting process, so helpful! You are really doing outstanding work with these speeders.

Thank you! They were really fun. I put a clear coat between coats, just so the black wash doesn't wash away the basecoat. It's been known to happen, then sometimes I do it on purpose.

I figured it was under ten dollars. Just goes to show you how much better you can make something yourself. You creation is so much more substantial and detailed looking too.

Thank you. Yeah these spray bottle parts have a lot of structural reinforcement, that gives it a cool mechanical look. Whoda thunk?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2021, 04:21:00 PM »
   I went to the model shop yesterday to buy a kit I can make into something. I was getting tired of looking at the same parts I have. I picked up a 1/48 vintage gas truck. It has the old school look that I like. Not quite 1930s or 40s, but maybe 50s truck. Anyway, I looked at it and decided to turn it into a beer kettle/ keg thing at a beer hall or tavern.  So I painted it black then added the AK Interactive Aluminum.

I'll put the keg thing on the Tavern back wall, behind where the bar will be, obviously. I wanted it to look like an old world tavern, so I made a stone arch. I did that  by tearing small bits of  foamcore, with the paper removed. Then i woodglued them onto the archway. Then mixed woodglue, water and watercolor to seal it like you would modge podge. Then behind the arch i applied spackle/water/watercolor, maybe I'll do a stucco effect.  I will wait for everything to dry and figure out what I want to do next. It's going to be sunny and warm for the next few days, so I'll take advantage of it.

I decided to grout the stonework. I used watered down spackle. Then wiped it with a damp sponge, like grouting tile. It has a more blended look. It's better. Just not dry yet, or painted.  This stuff shrinks, so I'll do another coat. This is experimental for me. Of couse I do things the hard way, but it'll be unique at least, good or bad. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 09:52:48 PM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2021, 12:01:08 AM »
Its totally a 1950's Sinclair fuel tanker truck - I saw an image of one just a few days ago :) I really like the design of the back bar wall - using the fuel tank for a dispenser is a great idea. The rock effect is great! Did you paint the foam bits all different colors before you mounted them? The look prior to your "grouting" them reminded me of old buildings I've seen in Scotland and Ireland.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2021, 03:53:54 AM »
Wow, that will work great for your tavern. Nice.

Off to share this on the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2021, 07:17:30 AM »
Its totally a 1950's Sinclair fuel tanker truck - I saw an image of one just a few days ago :) I really like the design of the back bar wall - using the fuel tank for a dispenser is a great idea. The rock effect is great! Did you paint the foam bits all different colors before you mounted them? The look prior to your "grouting" them reminded me of old buildings I've seen in Scotland and Ireland.

Thank you! I didn't paint them individually, thats the woodland scenics slate grey watercolor i added to the homemade modge podge. It's like Frank's hot sauce I put that S#!t on everything, except figures. Yeah I was going to have it groutless but, it had some gaps. At one time I wanted to go to Ireland to see where they filmed TLJ Ach-to but my friend kept making excuses.
Yeah it's definitely a 50s truck. That's when even the gas trucks had style. I'd love to get an old truck and put it on a modern chassis. If I have to pay 50-100K for a truck, might as well have style.

Wow, that will work great for your tavern. Nice.

Off to share this on the front pages.

Thank you. The keg reminds me of a really big art deco cappuccino machine. I even put a spigot on it. That would be a lot of beer. Probably 500 galons at least.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 07:20:48 AM by JDeck »