Author Topic: Tatooine Skiff - The Vintage Collection - Vehicle - 2019 - Return of the Jedi  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
- Hasbro
-- STAR WARS
--- 3.75 inch
---- The Vintage Collection
----- Vehicles
------ Tatooine Skiff

"The Bantha-II cargo skiff, also known as simply as the Bantha class skiff or desert skiff, was a model of skiff manufactured by Ubrikkian Industries."
Source: Wookieepedia (Canon)
Read the full article after the jump: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Bantha-II_cargo_skiff

A review from a customizer's perspective

"A picture tells more than a thousand words!" This review provides you over 50 pictures of this vehicle and compares it to previous releases*. I reduced the text between the pictures here for better structure. You can read my detailed comment at the end of this review.
I'm thankful for any recommendations to improve my reviews. So feel free to let me know what you think!

For better reading and/or page load/visual experience, you can load this site on your smartphone. You can enlarge pictures here better and if your browser on your computer has trouble loading this website, the mobile device might be the best solution here.

* To be borrowed from a friend for comparison. Will add pictures in a seperate reply on this page.

Tatooine Skiff
STAR WARS - The Vintage Collection

Manufacturer: Hasbro, Inc.
Series: The Vintage Collection (TVC)
Year: 2019
Retail: $39.99
Source: Return of the Jedi
Date Stamp: 2019
Item Number: # E6060
UPC Number: 6 30509 84618 4

Content: 17 pieces + instruction sheet

Accessories:

+ adjustable Display Stand (3 pieces)

Features:

Tatooine Skiff

+ 3 removable hatches on deck
+ interchangable railing to convert to battle damaged version
+ working plank
+ working panels (to simulate stiring)
+ adjustable display stand

Packaging - American/European

Tray

Content

Assembly

Base / Display Stand

Bantha-II cargo skiff

Details & Measurements

MOST interesting to note here is the fact that Hasbro is now represented by Hasbro Amsterdam, Netherlands. Is this another consequence of the approaching Brexit?
It seems like Hasbro have also moved their headquaters from the UK to the mainland of Europe...

Addon

Comment:

I found this set on Amazon.com and StarActionFigures.co.uk

Tatooine Skiff

The Tatooine Skiff is an all-new vehicle. And it's magnificent in every way! Not only is it the first complete update since its original Kenner release, but Hasbro have put much attention to detail and accuracy in this small vehicle. Pictures tell more than I could explain here. I mean. look at the detail underneath the hood!
They left out play features here and added more details instead to make a most screen-accurate & exciting design.

Scale: Again, there are two different lengths of the Desert Skiff: In the LEGENDS article on Wookiepedia it is 9.2 to 9.5 meters long. According to the official Canon it is 9.5 meters long, which means that Hasbro would have to make it 52 cm / 20.47 inches.
The short story: Hasbro made the Desert Skiff over 4 Inches too short to be to scale of 1:18.
After we had to wait for an update of this vehicle no less than two decades, Hasbro could have really done it 100% accurate this time. But as so often they did not and made it too small.
Other than that, it’s a brilliant collectible!

Rating: 9/10 (would be 10/10 if in accurate scale of 1:18)

How many goons does the Skiff hold?

I needed to invite some guests of the Cantina for a ride on the Skiff. If you want to populate your Desert Skiffs or even the Sail Barge with more characters, there are some excellent customizers in the forums on here. Make sure to check out their custom figures:

Chuckles:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10656.0

Aude:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10654.0

Jaeger45:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=9003.0

Stan:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=9711.570

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 12:31:06 PM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Wow, now that is nice. Off to share.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
This is a comprehensive photo review! Hasbro really nailed this one, and the skiffs and barge are what drove me to finally give customizing a shot. While I do agree that true 1:18 scale is perhaps one of the only things that could improve the vehicle (that, and an attachment to pick up the droids), in this instance I have less of an issue because 20" skiffs would make the barge (which is itself reduced by ~25%) look smaller. As a result of these riding the coattails of the Khetanna, the price was also incredibly reasonable compared to all other TVC vehicles this year.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Tamer: Thanks for sharing my review! I've added quite a few more pictures since then! I hope you like them.

Aude: Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about the Skiff on here, Aude! Really means a lot to me! And you sum it all up! And I agree with you 100%! The Sail Barge needs to look appropriate in size, even though it's down-sized, too! So I also think Hasbro made a good compromise so that both vehicles look appropriate next to each other. The MRSP is another good point! $39.99 are an incredibly fair price! Amazon even sells the Skiff for as low as $35 and who know where the all-time low will end...
Compared to the last version we got of the Desert Skiff, this one truly is a milestone! No doubt.

- Philipp
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 03:21:27 PM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Make sure to also check out the professional video review on the Tatooine Skiff of forum member Bossk's Bounty on YouTube!

He reviews this vehicle in every single aspect:

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
Sorry for my very late comment.
Another very detailed and entertaining review my friend. Thank you for showing even the smallest detail.
Too bad the scale is not correct but still a brilliant vehicle and a very nice addition to your collection.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
FialaFernbrugg: Thank you, this review was fun to do. So it didn't feel like work, but it was time-consuming. It's no secret that I absolutely love this vehicle and think the brand team did an excellent job on its development.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
With the AT-ST Raider seeing a re-issue in North America, I wonder if the Tatooine Skiff will also be made available, again.
Prices on feebay went up to more than double MRSP and now that Hasbro's latest Skiff Guard 4-Pack released, everyone and their neighbors probably want a Desert Skiff to display them on, right?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Back in the good ole days they actually released at least one new vehicle wave a year. Now it feels like Hasbro wants nothing to do with them outside of HasLab campaigns.