Author Topic: Photography and Cameras  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Photography and Cameras
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »
Ok folks, on Friday I'm going out to buy me a new DSLR camera so that I can finally take some quality pics of products and at conventions.  I have it narrowed down to four cameras, and I'm wondering, which cameras do you all use?  Which brands are your favorite?  Which features are must-haves?  I'm looking at these 4 cameras:

Canon EOS Rebel t31
Canon EOS Rebel t2i
Nikon D5100
Nikon D3100

Here they are, side-by-side in comparison from cnet.com http://reviews.cnet.com/4504-4_7-0.html?id=34629357&id=34493918&id=34150870&id=33974698&tag=compare

So chime in and give me all of your thoughts.  Every time I think I have my pony picked out, I look at or hold another one that makes me change my mind.  For the most part they are all very similar with very few differences worth mentioning.  But perhaps one of you has an opinion or insight that I need to make my final decision. 

Help me ISY, you're my only hope...

Offline RebelAce

• Wedge Antilles' Wingman
  • Lieutenant
  • "Good Luck! See you at the rendezvous!"
Re: Photography and Cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
Let me start off by saying I am no photography expert...

I guess one deciding factor would be is if you really used the dslr video feature.  If yes I wold lean towards the Rebel t3i.  It boasts being being creative for still frame shooters, although most are, so I wouldn't read too much into that. Articulated LCD is nice when you're trying to get an angled shot.  If you're looking for kind of "jack of all trades" camera, I'd go with the Nikon D5100.  I have had a lot of good luck with Nikon products and when I upgrade again, it will probably be a Nikon. 

Bottom Line:  If you shoot a lot of video, the t3i DSLR would probably be the way to go.  If video is not as important and you want great, rounded, budget camera then go with the Nikon.  It's win win either way in my opinion. 

This is what I'm currently using: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-SteadyShot-Stabilization-18-55mm/dp/B0029U0WWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326345064&sr=8-1

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:45:22 AM »
I for one think Canon is an excellent product. I was looking for a small camcorder to do it all pics, video, as well as livestream video.

The cannon vixia does it all. It takes analog tapes, used an SD card for your pics, and has a firewire port so you can livestream video using sites like USTREAM.

I would definitely recommend making sure it has a firewire port just in case you want to stream video. I can imagine that being awesome to use at a convention with wifi access.

Offline TIEpilot

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
I Just got a Nikon D5100 for Christmas.. it is a little better than the D3100 but has some of the stuff of the higher priced D7100.

I got it for the reasons you stated, conventions and better picks of customs and figures..
So far I really like how things have turned out though still trying to learn what all the functions are. Since this is my first DSLR, it is quite a step up from a point and shoot camera.

I recommend getting a second battery as it seems to chew through it pretty quick. If your at a convention it would suck taking pictures all day and then when George Lucas walks by your battery is dead..
I literally just priced a spare today and they run 50.00 bucks at Best Buy...
I am hoping to post the first pictures from this camera within the week of my latest custom...
Hope this helps...

TIEpilot
Greg

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
So, I went for the Canon EOS Rebel T2i.  After years of research, it all came down to just a few features, and the T2i won out on features and price.  So, for my first test of the new machine, I shot some pics of a new mini-bust with both the old point-and-shoot and the new DSLR to see what the variations look like.  The first two are from the Fuji Finepix point-and-shoot.  The first is using flash and the macro settings on a tripod.  The second is no flash, macro, and on a tripod...

The remaining pictures are from the new DSLR.  The first is on full auto with flash.  The 2nd is full auto no flash.  The final two are on Macro with and without flash.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:20:27 PM by Phatty »

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:28:57 PM »
Here is a side by side comparison shot of them.  The colors and detail are richer with the new camera, but as you can see, I need to work on my focusing of the item I'm shooting so that there aren't any blurs in them.  At least when I do image guides, that is.

Offline TIEpilot

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »
I know there is a HUGE learning curve going from a basic point and shoot to a DSLR...

I have come across the same issues with focusing myself...

I will hope to have some pictures up within the week....
Can't wait for Celebration VI to try it out there...

TIEpilot
Greg

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »
I personally have a Nikon 3000 and it does everything you really need with a solid top of the line DSLR. To me anything 10 MPs or higher is solid. From years of both analog and digital photography experience and even a bit of teaching it's about 20% camera 80% photographer. Give a great photographer a crummy cheap or old camera and they'll almost always be able to get something decent or workable out of it. Think musicians and music. Jimi Hendrix could play the sh** out of a piece of junk guitar and you'd know it was Jimi Hendrix. Hands down he'd sound a bit better on a top of the line guitar, but so what? It's Jimi Hendrix.

The best way to get the best photos is to have lots and lots of patience with yourself, play with your camera, cycle through and try all of the settings, quality, focuses, the bells and whistles. After a while the special features just become redundant.

Remember the first camera was a candle and a lens that projected images onto flat surfaces for artists to paint. Some say this is how Da Vinci did the Mona Lisa.

The next camera was a pinhole camera--essentially a light-tight box with a removable panel and a tiny hole cut into one of the sides of the box. Remove the panel and expose the light-sensitive paper to whatever you were pointing at your camera at. You can still do this today!

Matthew Brady--famous civil war photographer, arguably the first photo-journalist and one of the great innovators of the art form used to have his entire darkroom set up on a wagon that he took with him, pulled by an employee, to various scenes. In those days you had to sit still for a long while to get the exposure just right.

So, no matter what camera you have, as long as you're completely comfortable with it, you'll be able to get something that works out of it.

Now if Matthew Brady had had a DSLR... would he have been making custom action figures of the civil war and photographing those? Possibly.

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 06:06:14 AM »
Wow Pat that new camera looks sweet.

I do agree with Sam, from some of the stuff I have seen Hangarbay94 do with pics, its all about art with images too. I can't wait to see what you get into with this new camera Pat. Does it do video?

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »
Not only does it do video, but it does it in full 1080p hi-def! The instruction book and specs say about 20 minutes worth on a 4gb card, and I have an 8gb card in there.

Offline TIEpilot

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »
One thing I dislike about the DSLR is  it really show any flaws of the custom that I am making...grrrr

It catches everything....though it is nice to take pictures early and see what I messed up.....LOL

TIEpilot
Greg

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »
Not only does it do video, but it does it in full 1080p hi-def! The instruction book and specs say about 20 minutes worth on a 4gb card, and I have an 8gb card in there.

That sounds great and I hope it has that 1394 port on it so you can livestream with it. If it does, it would be great to do dual duty at any convention or outting I would think.