Author Topic: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume  (Read 126447 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume
« Reply #285 on: April 21, 2013, 08:00:26 AM »
thanks, LE

Here are the shots of the washer bottom side and a shot of how it fits to the base piece.
I have a coat of paint on em now and will take some shots of that later.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:50 AM »
Here are the painted shots of the first run of pieces.
minute scratches on the washer are from my sanding and the ones on the base piece are from the master. Second two shots are with bare metal foil on the washer piece instead of paint. I didnt think the paint was bright and shiny enough. I will probably have to buff the washer piece before the foil application as the foil is so thin that every little sanding scratch will show unless a protective coat of gloss varnish will hide them.

with foil

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #287 on: April 24, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
Clint I hate to cause problems, but I think what you are calling the bottom of the washer is actuall the top. Here is the one I got assembled from them:

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #288 on: April 24, 2013, 01:25:56 PM »
Looking good Clint!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #289 on: April 24, 2013, 02:31:54 PM »
Well that does seem odd considering that the recess in the base piece is the perfect shape for that other side.
You are causing problems. I don't know if the foil will confirm to that other shape.
That and the nipple shape on the flat side of the master wouldn't work with the flat side down, I believe.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #290 on: April 24, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
see what I mean. Even without the washer nipple, they would have had to modify either the washer's hole or the mounting post for it to even fit like your assembled piece does.

Look back at the pics. the recess in the base where the washer goes is shaped perfect for the funky side of the washer to sit in facing down and the flat side wouldnt work. Otherwise, they would have sculpted a flat recess for the flat washer to sit in. Then look at the movie pics. the first two shots look like it is flat, and I dont know about the third shot. must be a reflection.

furthermore, I would have faced the protruding pins down pointed at your wrist for the clear piece and not up like your assemblers did. I hate to cause problems as well, but I think they assembled it wrong.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #291 on: April 24, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »
Clint, the more I think on it the more I think your conclusion is the correct one. I am gonna send em a little email with my evidence and see what they say. In the movie pics it does look flat.

Offline benjani_1976

• Colonel
  • Banksy = star wars LEGEND
« Reply #292 on: April 25, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
Hi guys,I don't mean to cause problems either but wouldn't that be great if you could wire it up to a walkie talkie or a voice activated smart phone in case you're out and about on parade with Vader and the 501st and need a double pepperoni meat feast fix  ;D

flat side up gets my vote from the recess profiles shown, plus images I've seen and film footage. Looking good guys

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #293 on: May 14, 2013, 04:46:17 PM »
http://www.501st.com/members/displaymember.php?userID=15598&costumeID=5

My 501 Official Page. All I need now is an E-11 and a better comm link for my glove and I think I am done till I try either a TK Suit or a Heavy Door Gunner aka I.M.P.S.

Offline XTS_Operative

• Ensign
« Reply #294 on: May 15, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »
Neat! Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but curiousity struck as I was looking at your pictures. Since this is a thread belonging to a 501st member I thought you might know some inside scoop. Is there any speculation about costuming groups being invited as extras in the upcoming movies?   

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #295 on: May 15, 2013, 02:11:24 PM »
Neat! Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but curiousity struck as I was looking at your pictures. Since this is a thread belonging to a 501st member I thought you might know some inside scoop. Is there any speculation about costuming groups being invited as extras in the upcoming movies?   

You know thats a daggone good question. I am gonna make some polite inquiries.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #296 on: May 15, 2013, 04:23:57 PM »
I did cue up the blu ray scenes showing that com tech chip and didnt get any clearer shots than what you have shown. You know what that clear piece looks like to me? It reminds me of  several modern car fuses cut and joined together.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #297 on: May 15, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
I did cue up the blu ray scenes showing that com tech chip and didnt get any clearer shots than what you have shown. You know what that clear piece looks like to me? It reminds me of  several modern car fuses cut and joined together.

You know what Clint, that is probably about the best description of this I have heard yet!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #298 on: May 15, 2013, 07:15:01 PM »
Great work you two are doing here!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #299 on: June 04, 2013, 11:26:33 AM »
Thanks to some superb packing skills by one Wookie Balls I know have this to go with my costume:

And here is how well Wookie Balls packs. This is the box it came out of with not one scratch or ding (it was well protected with plenty of bubble wrap and foamies):

To say this is drop dead gorgeous is an understatement. Ray you are a customizing genius!

Just some initial thoughts on this so far is it is so light. Trooping with it ought to be a dream. I also have to admit I didn't think it would look quite this realistic, but my wife actually thought someone shipped me a real gun in the mail! He also included the orange tip so I should be able to get it in to conventions and what not. Thank you Ray!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:28:16 AM by Tamer »