Author Topic: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume  (Read 126447 times)

Spookymufu

Re: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume
« Reply #270 on: April 17, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
could 5 of these set on the end and lined up work for the clear pieces?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #271 on: April 17, 2013, 08:40:39 PM »
Hmm, what does the end of it look like?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #272 on: April 18, 2013, 02:54:26 AM »
Looks like each individual piece could be an L-shape rounded on the one end and rounded the other way at the top outside angle of the L wth a rectangle shaped recess either on the topside or the bottom side on the long end toward the washer.

See now you are where I am at. Its so daggone hard to tell just which way it is. I am not aware of any of the glove props that have survived and believe you me I have looked. Clint you just may be making the most film accurate version of this that is out there.

I mean I am not ever sure whether these are clear pieces that just look metallic due to the camera and angle of the light or have some type of metal in em. I guess I am leaning towards just clear plastic but think you guys are now seeing what I was doing not so great a job at explaining earlier with my glove.

Thanks for working on it Clint. I know one thing, a few people will be following your progress closely on this besides me.

UPDATE: Had to start this little trip on the front page.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:24:01 AM by Tamer »

Offline benjani_1976

• Colonel
  • Banksy = star wars LEGEND
« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
 If anyone can do it,clients the man............are there recent pics of the complete outfit,I think I remember some early progress with building of a manakin?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #274 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
are there recent pics of the complete outfit,I think I remember some early progress with building of a manakin?

Go back to page 16 and see my final outfit that met with 501st approval. All I need now is an e-11.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #275 on: April 19, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
Mold is curing for the first two parts. I need to find time to fab up the beginnings of the third one.

Offline benjani_1976

• Colonel
  • Banksy = star wars LEGEND
« Reply #276 on: April 19, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »
That's a stunning bit of kit you got there,and with clients accurate comm mod.....won't find a better one.
That breather box with LED's is just pure imperial bling!

So when you starting work on the 1:1 walker to go with it?  ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #277 on: April 19, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
Mold is curing for the first two parts. I need to find time to fab up the beginnings of the third one.

Sweet. I can't wait to see what you come up with Clint. I promise I will try to be as patient as I am capable of. You know me!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #278 on: April 19, 2013, 06:09:23 PM »

Sweet. I can't wait to see what you come up with Clint. I promise I will try to be as patient as I am capable of. You know me!
I hope you are more patient with the Turkeys. Otherwise, you will bring a quail home. tee hee

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #279 on: April 20, 2013, 04:10:06 AM »
We shall see about those ole gobblers. It starts Monday.

I am assuming with that much mold material it may take awhile before it sets up properly too. Gonna have to be patient too to see what the air bubble problems turn out to be with it too. Guess you just won't know till you try it. If anyone can pull this off its you bud.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #280 on: April 20, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »
its all about technique with the airbubbles and the open void of the mold for the big piece makes it easy. Resin sets up quick no matter how much there is, it was just figuring the amount out which takes only one pour to do. The washer wasnt too much more tricky although I have a question about it.
Here are the pics of the masters and the casts.

The question is about the nipple around the hole of the master washer. does it need to be there or not. I can get it to cast but it is very thin and needs to be reinforced with superglue if we need it there. Here is a shot of one with and one without.

Now, I still need to fab up one of the 5 pieces that we believe will make the clear piece. Now, that mold will be open topped as well and getting air out of the clear stuff is actually more possible since the clear resin sets up so much more slowly. Its all about degassing after you mix and while you pour as far as getting the clear stuff to turn out bubble free.

I will make 1 master, mold that, make 5 castings, make a mold for all 5 of those, and be able to cast the 5 smaller pieces at once which is needed since the clear stuff takes 24 hours to cure vs several min like the tan stuff.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #281 on: April 20, 2013, 05:17:35 PM »
Wow, that turned out great. Clint, I see what you mean about that washer, but I can't really see why that needs to be there. I mean it all looks flat to me. Is it holding up the washer somehow?

From the movie pic I was able to glean I sure can't see any need for it. Does it seem like it sits on top of the other part well?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2013, 05:55:39 PM »
Yeah, it fits perfect. I will show you a pic of that. No, the nipple doesnt do anything. it just sticks up and surrounds the hole. I will have to show you shots of the backside which looks a lot more interesting and nobody sees when assembled. I may try and paint these up tomorrow.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »
That all sounds good to me Clint. I would do away with that thin piece on that washer. Can't wait to see these painted up!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #284 on: April 21, 2013, 04:28:07 AM »
Clint those cast parts look great! You are doing a bang up job on this project!