Author Topic: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume  (Read 126523 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Tamer is finally getting a Driver Costume
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2013, 06:13:38 AM »
Yepper, I think I am gonna light up my chest box. I have a couple irons in the fire already to get that done. And I am guessing I will go after the tusk next.

And yes I am trying to be patient with Cal, we will see what happens next week. I will post in this thread how he responds. I have come to understand that not everyone is on my schedule.  ;)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:16:48 AM by Tamer »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2013, 06:17:58 AM »
Your fix looks great, Shawn. I hope you are going to fp that or i may have to.
  I have some battery powered led nubs that might work fairly well for lighting up that air box.
I will try to remember to take a pic of em.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2013, 06:21:31 AM »
Your fix looks great, Shawn. I hope you are going to fp that or i may have to.
  I have some battery powered led nubs that might work fairly well for lighting up that air box.
I will try to remember to take a pic of em.

Hadn't really though of a fper Clint. I sure did work myself up working on it though thinking I would destroy it. Gotta credit my wife for dealing with me and runnng out quick to get me some glue.

Those led nubs sound interesting. Think you could recreate the square pattern? The chest box area is opaque (shaded but see through) there and think it would really look cool. I actually contacted someone on youtube yesterday and he said that these boxes were actually lit up with digits, not the red squares we all though. It is kinda interesting getting into all this accuracy stuff.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2013, 06:26:03 AM »
to get the square pattern, I would mask out some square shapes on the backside using tape and put the light source behind that. I assume that piece is hollow?

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2013, 06:29:41 AM »
Even if the chest box lights were digits is hard to find out which ones/what type alas. This is the only pictire we have of the chest box since the original armor is long lost (and only 1 of the 2 helmets are still in existence today):

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2013, 06:55:22 AM »
to get the square pattern, I would mask out some square shapes on the backside using tape and put the light source behind that. I assume that piece is hollow?

Yepper it sure is.

Even if the chest box lights were digits is hard to find out which ones/what type alas. This is the only pictire we have of the chest box since the original armor is long lost (and only 1 of the 2 helmets are still in existence today):

Now that I look on that it does look like perhaps they were digits. One of those videos I posted yesterday showed a close up too which made me think perhaps they could have been. It sure would be cool to know which digits they were. I wonder if any of the actors could remember. Doubt it. Maybe someone at ILM.

And I guess I am gonna wait on painting that red Serg till I hear from Cal, I need to know what kind it was so when I redo it it matches. I surely don't want to repaint everything that was red on this.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2013, 07:12:24 AM »
They didn't even remember that the real AT-AT Driver armor was gray, not sure if they'll recall what electronics they used on the chestbox  ;D :P

The lights I have are from the same guy who made the first youtube video you posted a few posts above. Really cool electronics, and quite easy to attach on Laws chestbox, since it can be separated in the 2 halves easily. I added a bit of velcro to hold the 2 chest box parts better, and also to connect/fix the electronics inside.
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2013, 07:14:29 AM »
BTW do you have a pic of the helmet? And of the entire front armor?
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2013, 07:50:34 AM »
Yes, I want to see a pic as well.

Here are  those leds I told you about. Fairly small, just twist the back to turn em on and boy, are they bright.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2013, 08:52:50 AM »
BTW do you have a pic of the helmet? And of the entire front armor?

I told myself I wasn't posting pics of it all till I get it fixed and totally assembled. As soon as I fix the red tusk fixed I will get some posted up.

Here are  those leds I told you about. Fairly small, just twist the back to turn em on and boy, are they bright.

Hmm...those might work Clint. I will get some good measurments of the front of this area. I bet striaght white would work too as it is a shaded red area there now. I am guessing MonCal meant it to be this way in case you wanted to mount electronics too it lately. My chestbox has a large circular hole in the back of it where you can get to these places and it simply mounts to the front armor with a screw and wing nut. There is a lot of room in there to add things. I will try to take a pic of it with some measurements when I get home.

You guys are really making me want to get this assembled, but I need to order some tools and parts to do it right. I will probably order those tomorrow unless I hear something different from Cal.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »
Personally i've seen numerous MonCal, Laws and other types of AT-AT armors. But it is always cool to see work in progress pics ;) Remember my Sterling Stormtrooper blaster with all its upgrades
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2013, 01:00:46 PM »
I will start posting some pics when I get back into it. I am gonna need to get some supplies and tools to continue. I am gonna try my hand at snap setting which will be a handy thing to learn how to do to put snaps on things anyhow. Speaking of pics here are more of the chest box since you guys asked:

I measured this red rectangular area and it is roughly 2 and 3/8 inches wide by 15/16th in height

Here is the back:

I will try to snap a couple more pics of the parts since you guys are interested. I do appreciate the comments and the help. You guys are definitely helping me figure out what I want to do and I thank you for that.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »
Ok guys did a little photo shoot and looked at what I have so far. I am telling you this stuff is nice!

I will start with the helmet:

The inside which is fully adjustable

The back

Look at this the cannisters pop off for helmet removal while in costume

Front armor

Back armor

Detail of Back armor (it is really gorgeous)

The rest of it

Lots of stuff left to do

The power will be down in moments, you may begin your landing

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:50:22 PM by Tamer »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »
Dude, I am salivating looking at these pics. That is gonna be one killer outfit.
Alright, you asked for it, I had to get this to the front page. Just think about it, the figures you work on are a whole lot bigger than mine. You are a builder now, buddy.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »
looking good!