Author Topic: Aude's Workshop  (Read 36837 times)

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
Re: Aude's Workshop "I like those odds."
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2020, 05:30:30 PM »
Wow - the beskar armor turned out magnificent. Thanks for the tip on the product you used as well. This whole build is spectacular...again. You do such a fantastic job executing this figures.

Thanks Starchaser! I wanted to hit the Beskar right the first time especially since I'd be reproducing it for folks to build their own. Just didn't have the energy for the usual detailed build info when I posted that figure, but I'll have another custom up soon.  ;)

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
Re: Aude's Workshop "I like those odds."
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2020, 09:01:16 PM »
"Never! No outsider will ever rule Mandalore!"

Bo-Katan Kryze
The Clone Wars

This build marks a few more firsts for me. Bo's armor and accessories are once again composed almost entirely of 3D resin printed pieces. While most have been scaled down from full-sized armor files and edited extensively to fit, this time I built some of the designs entirely on my own! The 3D printer has really been a blast so far, and I'm excited to continue using resin prints going forward. Someday I'll share my thoughts on and experiences with operating a printer for a couple months in a separate thread.

Bo is the first character from an animated series that I have adapted into action figure form. For her unmasked portrait, I used a likeness of Katee Sackhoff, the actress who, as you probably know, voiced the character during both Clone Wars and Rebels and will be reprising her role in live action when Mando Season 2 hits. I know that realistic portraits of animated characters don't always hit as many prefer to see the characters as stylized as they appear, but in this case it made sense to me to combine features of the actress and her animated character.

Finally, this character is the first custom commission that I have taken. I fielded a few requests after sharing the Mandalorian wave earlier this year, but had not planned to go ahead with any of them as I generally prefer to keep what I make. However, Bo has been on my shortlist for a while now, and when the client requested her, I accepted. This build presented a great opportunity, alongside the Beskar set, to learn how to best to use the new printer and to familiarize myself with some of the editing software. While I do not expect to regularly take commissions, it is exciting to think that this custom will become a part of a passionate fan's collection!

Composition: VC Doctor Aphra torso, arms & thighs, CWCollection Cad Bane shins, JoyToy 1/24 Mech Pilot rocker ankles & boots. Resin printed armor plates, weapons, jetpack, helmet, and alternate hands. Unmasked portrait from Watto's Scrapyard. Leather belt & pouches.

Process: This build was fraught with quality control issues and complete failures, almost comically so. Prints I ordered arrived undersized and/or damaged (twice); figure sets I bought with the intent to use solely for their joints came, naturally, with broken joints; some items shipped within the country took over a month to arrive while others never even shipped; at one point I was mailed a 10" saw blade in place of the product I had purchased. All of these setbacks ultimately ended up working to the benefit of the build (except for the saw blade- that one was just nuts) as they gave me more time to think about what I could improve and forced me to fabricate more of the parts myself.

At the outset, I had a few female figure bodies that I had hoped might work for the build: Planet Green Valley, JoyToy, Hiya Toys, even a couple Marvel Ultimates 3.75". After considering proportions and height, I ended up ordering some Aphras. I still do not love the Hasbro 3.75" ball hip, but the Aphra body was the best proportioned SA I could find for this figure. After sanding down all the joints, I tried out some Cad Bane shins from the fodder box that ended up a good fit and modified them to accept the JoyToy rocker peg.

Bo's armor set came together concurrently with the Beskar. Both sets presented a perfect opportunity to familiarize myself with Meshmixer and Tinkercad, maker software programs that allow you to build and edit 3D files. The sets took a fair amount of trial and error fitting, and I found myself working in fractions of millimeters to get everything just right. The hip plate holsters and Westar 35 pistols were some of the first pieces I edited and printed, and to say that it was exciting to see digital designs materialize out of viscous liquid into solid action figure accessories would be an understatement. With all parts printed, I magnetized the jetpack and drilled a small hole in Bo's helm to articulate the rangefinder.

One thing I've always disliked about Hasbro's 3.75" SA line is the fact that most female figures do not have ball wrist articulation. It makes sense, of course, because the wrists are simply too small to support it in many cases, but this does not prevent me from wanting it. While waiting and waiting on ordered parts, a workaround option presented itself: interchangeable hands. With the printer, I now had the ability to produce, at will, any sort of object I'd like. I found some hand gesture files and joined them with wrist pegs I'd designed to fit. This also allowed me to attach options for a bracer shield and knife for Bo, two accessories I had been hoping to include.

Process Photo Gallery

...And of course...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Aude's Workshop: "Hey kid, you're late."
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2020, 06:44:53 AM »
And this is your first foray into 3D Printing?! I am just stupified here this morning trying to describe how gorgeous I think this is. She is perfect! And the accessories you made for her are just fantastic!

Off to the front pages while I try to come up with some better comments. Just Bravo!

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2020, 07:00:03 PM »
Commented on YF, but that Mando figure is absolutely aces.  Extraordinary job!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2020, 10:28:22 PM »
Absolutely off the hook! I love the work that you are doing. Bo turned out beautifully and its cool to see all the images of the 3D printing that you are doing. I'm really blown away by the quality of work you are doing.

Offline Flash

• Cadet
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2020, 11:52:46 PM »
I've gone through these pics a few times now, and I'm just floored by the work you've put into this figure as well as the end product.  I would purchase this rendition of the character if it were available on the pegs.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2020, 06:50:37 PM »
And this is your first foray into 3D Printing?! I am just stupified here this morning trying to describe how gorgeous I think this is. She is perfect! And the accessories you made for her are just fantastic!

Off to the front pages while I try to come up with some better comments. Just Bravo!

Thank you! The printer has been quite an adventure. I will post about it sometime soon.

Commented on YF, but that Mando figure is absolutely aces.  Extraordinary job!

Thanks Lance! I do my best haha.

Absolutely off the hook! I love the work that you are doing. Bo turned out beautifully and its cool to see all the images of the 3D printing that you are doing. I'm really blown away by the quality of work you are doing.

Thank you! I dove into this a couple months ago without any real knowledge about how to operate a resin printer or build/edit 3D files. I have had quite a few learning experiences with the whole operation since then and don't feel as clueless anymore. There is no doubt that the printer is an incredible maker tool, and I'm looking forward to using it for more customs!

I've gone through these pics a few times now, and I'm just floored by the work you've put into this figure as well as the end product.  I would purchase this rendition of the character if it were available on the pegs.

Thanks Flash! I'm glad that you're enjoying the work. It is difficult to believe that this character has never been offered by Hasbro in any form.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2020, 06:25:36 AM »
I look forward to hearing your three D printing journey.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
Aude's Workshop: *shrill cackling*
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
Oh, you will! In the meantime, and on a related note, here's a little +1. It's no ko Amanaman, but it does have the same amount of articulation. ;)

Salacious B. Crumb
Jabba's Court Jester

Composition: He's resin with some little fabric bits.

Process: This began a month or two ago. I found a few .stl files of the character but wasn't satisfied with any of them. This crumb is the product of four designs spliced together with a few additional touches. There are a couple other heads as well, but I only had the energy to paint this one tonight. His arms, head(s), and tail are articulated using hot glue, although I am also trialing a ProCreate socket. I also finally picked up a new set of paintbrushes (~$20, nothing too fancy) since the ones I've been using were becoming awfully ratty. They are performing their duty so far.

Process Photo Gallery

Completed Edit:

Fresh Prints

Primed

Assembled w/ Size Comparision

Kowakian Ancestry

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Aude's Workshop: *shrill cackling*
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2020, 04:51:42 AM »
I swear you are not real. I mean this just seems like magic. The level of detail you got from this (and 3D printed too) is just flabbergasting. It looks like a supermodel next to the other retail iterations of this. So cool. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Off to the front pages. Wow!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2020, 06:53:22 AM »
He turned out great!
What 3D printer are you using?

Offline RC-1136

• Brigadier
  • For the Republic!
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2020, 12:29:49 PM »
So uh...when can you 3D print all items I need to construct a 1/18 helicopter? Kidding. Well, mostly. Your 3D prints are CRISP! The level of detail is astound. How much did you have to clean up from the original print to make it look as nice?
Star Wars Fan. Action Figure Customizer/collector. Favorite Star Wars Time Period: The Clone Wars.

Offline Lance Quazar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2020, 01:27:13 PM »
Saw at YF, too.  This is INCREDIBLE work!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2020, 08:48:55 AM »
This is nothing short of spectacular! I need on like this in 1:12th!

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2020, 10:36:30 AM »
I swear you are not real. I mean this just seems like magic. The level of detail you got from this (and 3D printed too) is just flabbergasting. It looks like a supermodel next to the other retail iterations of this. So cool. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Off to the front pages. Wow!

Thank you! Although I've become accustomed to it, the printer does sometimes still feel a bit like magic to me as well. I put Crumb on Jabba's dais when finished and realized that, while the barge Jabba's paint apps are actually quite good, I'll probably have to repaint the pillows and stone for all of it to make sense.

He turned out great!
What 3D printer are you using?

Thanks! Printed on an Elegoo Mars.

So uh...when can you 3D print all items I need to construct a 1/18 helicopter? Kidding. Well, mostly. Your 3D prints are CRISP! The level of detail is astound. How much did you have to clean up from the original print to make it look as nice?

Probably, but it would take a while and a lot of slicing. The Mars is great, but better suited to smaller print jobs. And thanks! The orientation of objects on the build plate and support placement/settings have a huge impact on how the prints come out. I'm still learning how to optimize this, but this print required little to no additional cleaning outside of the normal routine.

Saw at YF, too.  This is INCREDIBLE work!

Thanks Lance! It's fun to have a community to share with.  :)

This is nothing short of spectacular! I need on like this in 1:12th!

Thank you! The 1:12 Crumb is sized fairly accurately, isn't he? I don't imagine it would be too difficult to scale this up and print you one. Send me a PM if you'd like.