Author Topic: Aude's Workshop  (Read 36836 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Aude's Workshop
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2020, 02:56:01 AM »
Woah! That’s some pretty work, man!
Love that breathing device

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2020, 10:01:07 AM »
Thanks guys. :) I was a bit apprehensive about the velvet, but it seems to have worked out just fine. Poor Murne took a 5ft tumble the day after I posted but thankfully remains intact.

Oh! And the device on her head is a translating vocoder which converts Ithorese to Galactic Basic. I'm not aware of one in live action, but you can see one worn by an Ithorian bartender in early season Rebels.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2020, 04:20:59 AM »
Tumbles for customs tend to be a heart stopping event. Glad that turned out ok.
  If it was early rebels, I must have seen it. Great fab work there, I’ll have to look for that episode.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2020, 10:19:13 PM »
If you're still interested, you can see the translator in action in Rebels S1E8 Empire Day around 4:20. It's pretty cool to hear both languages as the translator does its thing.

Unrelated to the Ithorian, I recently picked up a 3D printer and have been having a blast with it. Expect a new custom or two coming soon (I hope). ;)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2020, 07:02:28 AM »
Unrelated to the Ithorian, I recently picked up a 3D printer and have been having a blast with it. Expect a new custom or two coming soon (I hope). ;)

Oh, awesome! Please let us know what you think. I would love to see someone document the entire process. Sounds like you are having a good experience.

One question, do the printer lines bug you?

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2020, 09:55:35 PM »
Sure, I could do that in the future. So far it has been a largely positive experience! The nice thing about using an SLA machine is that print lines are virtually nonexistent. The build plate is raised out of a vat of photosensitive resin that is cured by laser in layer heights of ~.05mm (+/- depending on your settings). Finished prints are smooth and precise. There are certainly some downsides to using the liquid resin, but print quality isn’t one of them.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2020, 05:31:45 AM »
Wow, see I don't know enough about em to even know there was a liquid type that deosn't leave print lines.

Thanks for being willing to share what you experience.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
Aude's Workshop "I like those odds."
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2020, 10:38:15 PM »
Apparently "soon" is a month for me these days.

The Mandalorian (Beskar) with The Child

Composition: VC Mando torso, legs, and boots, JoyToy blank arms, Planet Green Valley hands and rocker ankles. Resin printed armor edited primarily from full sized designs by this incredible digital artist . Leather and stainless steel belt/bandolier/holster with magnetized rifle strap. Resin printed child designed by this incredible digital artist .

Process: Arduous. More info later, perhaps.

Edit: I see I took no photos of the jetpack, because of course I didn't. *sigh*
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:51:06 PM by Aude »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Re: Aude's Workshop "I like those odds."
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2020, 06:29:53 AM »
Now, this is some fine art here, Aude! The arms added some important range of motion and all the different poses you put him into proof that! The 3D-printed armor fits nice & tight! This is a spot on custom! Excellent composition.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2020, 10:49:22 AM »
Well, gonna have to pick up my jaw. its on the floor! Wow.

Off to share.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2020, 06:44:52 AM »
All in 3.75 scale!!!!
Amazing paint job.
Air brush or Molotow pen?

Wowzers!
👏🏻

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2020, 12:58:38 PM »
Now, this is some fine art here, Aude! The arms added some important range of motion and all the different poses you put him into proof that! The 3D-printed armor fits nice & tight! This is a spot on custom! Excellent composition.

Thanks Phillip. :) I had a few sets of spare JoyToy arms after having bought some of their blanks for the rocker ankle joints and found the VC Mando elbow rotors to be a bit ratchety and stiff. The PGV rocker ankles really improve posability, and I ended up using those hands as well because I wanted Mando to be able to carry the child and the left wrist of the VC figure is not engineered to swivel inward. It was refreshing to see Hasbro employ rockers for Chirrut, and I hope we can expect to see them more frequently again. These other companies have Hasbro beat in that department, and I will continue to use their joints until rockers return to the 3.75" SW line.

For months, I searched for, requested, practically begged many people who were offering larger scale sets to produce a beskar set for 3.75". Many said they could or would do it; none did. I finally decided to do it myself. This armor is the result of many hours of editing files and fitting prints. In the time it took to get this set right, I probably could have sculpted it all myself. However, the exciting thing is that I now have a set that I can produce at will by clicking a few buttons. I am excited to finally be able to offer to 3.75" customizers something I think many of us have wished existed for months: a complete beskar set.

Well, gonna have to pick up my jaw. its on the floor! Wow.

Off to share.

haha Thank you Tamer. I try!  :D

All in 3.75 scale!!!!
Amazing paint job.
Air brush or Molotow pen?

Wowzers!
👏🏻

Thanks Sjefke! This was my first experience using the Molotow Chrome Pen. It is an impressive ink, to be sure. I tested a few other chrome finishes, but none seemed to rival the shine of the Molotow. I was disappointed to discover that I could not apply any sort of wash to bring out the details without blighting the mirror finish, but the shine seems to make that compromise a worthy one.

Offline Flash

• Cadet
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2020, 09:38:14 PM »
Excellent job on that Mando!  I would easily purchase your figure off the pegs.  Too bad Hasbro won't give us a figure even half this good.

Offline Aude

• Lieutenant
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
Excellent job on that Mando!  I would easily purchase your figure off the pegs.  Too bad Hasbro won't give us a figure even half this good.

Thanks Flash! I'm sure the Hasbro figure will be alright once they get around to releasing it, but the promo photos of their 6" offering don't exactly inspire confidence that the 3.75" figure will be screen accurate. If they can't even be bothered to remove the left knee pad and tool a proper flak vest instead of just repainting the parts from the previous Mando release, what will we get in TVC?

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2020, 11:23:00 PM »
Wow - the beskar armor turned out magnificent. Thanks for the tip on the product you used as well. This whole build is spectacular...again. You do such a fantastic job executing this figures.