Author Topic: The People vs. George Lucas - Did Lucas spoil your childhood?  (Read 6179 times)

Offline zedhatch

• Commodore
Re: The People vs. George Lucas - Did Lucas rape your childhood?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
One of my major changes (If I could make one) would be Padme herself.

First she would have been a queen in title and tradition, not elected.  Elected monarchs was a bit of a stretch to begin with, but then having her be elected to the highest office of the planet at 14 was a bit too much for me, evern worse when she said she wasn't the youngest elected-YIKES.  I love my children, but I wouldn't let them run the vacum cleaner at 14. 

But an inherited title made more sence, THEN after the events of Ep. 1 she returns as a senator, having given up her title and thus ending the monarchy on her planet (the reason, she truely believed in democracy THAT MUCH.  I think it would also make a signifigant difference in her character when Palpatine is taking over and the early rebellion sceanes).

Lastly, in ep 3 I would have had her die from truma, not "losing the will to live." and thus weakening the character further.   While a bit darker, to say the truma was too great for th med droids to fix would have been plauseable no matter how advanced the technology is.  Saving the babies, again we can do that now so not much of a stretch.  This also makes Vader's reaction a bit more plauseable (as he might sence the truth in Palpatine's words). 

HB I like a bunch of your ideas too. 

Updates Mon-Fri every week, also reviews and much much more.

Offline PROVOST

• Ensign
  • Colonel In Chief
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »
In a word - NO.
You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

Offline Jedi Master Z

• Cadet
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 07:46:04 PM »
I am a big fan of the original trilogy, and even though Episodes I, II, & III had flaws, I really enjoyed them. My biggest quip with them is the clutter on screen (TOO MUCH CGI IMAGES ), and whiney Anakin in episode II. However I feel that George did a great job on them, trying to please 2 generations of fans. I wouldn't want to be George Lucas. He had a tough job. He put his imagination up for all to see. Some liked it, some didn't. I for one feel that Jar Jar wasn't all that bad. I also enjoy the Clone Wars, although I had a problem with it being all CGI at first, but I've gotten over it. I suspect Disney will put out good movies, mostly because if they don't they are out 4 billion bucks. I'm new on the Imperial Shipyards, so go easy on me.

Rich

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 03:12:35 AM »
Jedi Master Z everyone is entitled to their opininon whether you are new or not. I agree with a lot of what you said too by the way. And welcome to the Yards!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Re: The People vs. George Lucas - Did Lucas spoil your childhood?
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »
I've not had a chance to read all of the posts here but have browsed through.

There have been some interesting points and reading some from fans who weren't about when the OT was first released has opened my eyes and swayed my opinion.

I will always have a soft spot for the original movies simply because when I leave a suitable gap between seeing the films there is still a feeling of magic when I re visit them, I don't get that feeling with the prequels. That doesn't mean Lucas failed with Ep1, it simply means that he had an almost impossible task to begin with.

Someone made a great argument comparing winey Anakin (Ep2) with winey Luke (ESB) and Jar Jar with C3PO making the point that both characters can be annoying at times, and that made me realise that I have viewed the whole argument with rose tinted glasses. All of the movies have their failings if you look at them in the cold light of day, but that defeats the object. You don't go into a haunted house and point out all of the faults, you enjoy the ride.

So by being devils advocate I have changed my mind about the complete saga. All I can say is that they are all wonderful and unique pieces of film making  which are unlikely to be beaten in terms of their originality and sheer spectacle.

Lucas has touched millions with his vision, what a legacy!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:00:09 AM by hangarbay94 »